Monday, 08 September, 2008
Virginia Trip, Day 1
The original plan for my daughter Carisa, her husband Jim, and the kids - Felicia and Chase:
- Leave Valley Center, CA at 3:00 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 7th.
- Put the 2 dogs in the front part of the horse trailer, the cat in one of the vehicles.
- Arrive in Tucson by noon.
- Toss the munchkins into the pool so they could burn through some of that spare energy all children seem to have that we adults lack.
- Let the worn out parents take a long, desperately needed nap while Pamn-ma and John keep the kids entertained and occupied.
- Have a family dinner before retiring early - since the plan is to leave at 3:00 a.m. Monday for the next leg of the trip.
What REALLY happened:
- While loading the car onto the car carrier behind the 24' Budget rental truck at 10:30 a.m. (already a late start), a flat tire was noticed on the carrier. Budget was notified and sent out a repairman at 1:00 p.m. to change the blown out tire. Departure time from Valley Center: 2:00 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 7th.
- One dog went into the Ford F-350 and the other into the Budget truck as there was no room in the inn - er, the horse trailer. Lacy (dog #1) and Tequila (the cat) joined Carisa & Felicia in the Ford while Chase & Vega (dog #2) joined Jim in the Budget Truck.
- Flat #2 occurred roughly 30 miles from start point. This on the Ford, left rear outside tire which blew out and destroyed the fender. Changed this flat on the side of the road and continued on their way. This blowout messed with the wires, which caused a fuse to blow... which they discovered in Blythe, CA when the rear lights of the truck and horse trailer failed to work. Only another 247 miles to go!
- Dinner was just J-Walk & me, as usual.
- Arrived Tucson at 3:30 a.m. Monday. Total miles: 486
- Munchkins tossed into bed at 4:15 for more sleep - no pool time on Sunday.
- After moving the horses to the stalls and putting the dogs into the horse trailer and feeding / watering them all, it was 5:00 a.m. before the parents finally made their way to the guest room bed.
- Posted by Pamn