Wednesday, 07 July, 2010
John Walkenbach: What I Do
This is my version of Cory Doctorow: What I Do.
Nobody has every asked me for an inventory of the tools and systems I use to get my work done, but I'm going to tell you anyway.
- Hardware: My main system is a new Dell running 64-bit Windows 7, with dual widescreen monitors. I also have a laptop, which I use only when traveling. We have three other computers in the house, all networked.
- External storage: Two 1-terrabyte USB drives for music and backup.
- Phone: I have a cell phone, but I never use it. I don't even know the phone number. I also have a land line and I avoid using it whenever possible.
- E-mail: I use the Windows 7 email client because Outlook is too complicated. At least I think it is. I've never actually used it. I have no archiving system (except for the stuff sent and received via Gmail).
- Mobile device: None. Not needed.
- Mobile media:
ZoomZune, which never goes anywhere. It's hooked up to a stereo system and used as a bedroom music player.
- eBook Reader: Kindle 2
- Browser: Google Chrome
- Calendar: None. My life isn't complicated enough to need a calendar.
- RSS: I use Google Reader many, many times each day.
- FTP: Filezilla
- Text editor: Notepad ++ (I just got it, and boy is it good!)
- Graphics: Photoshop Elements 8 and IrfanView.
- Screen capture: Hypersnap 6.
- Accounting: Microsoft Money 5.0 (circa 1996).
- Office suite: Microsoft Office 2010. Excel and Word only.
- Writing: For the last round of books I used Word 2003.
- CD ripping: CDex.
- Music player: Most Windows Media Player, using a custom skin. Plus, Amazing Slow Downer for learning banjo tunes.
- Audio editing: Audacity.
- Blog: My software is ExpressionEngine. For blog posting, I use a custom app written in VBA and running on Microsoft FrontPage 2003.
- Car audio: Microsoft Sync in my Ford Escape.
- Other tech stuff: I have a Zoom H2 audio recorder, and a Canon SD3500IS camera.
That's about it. Cory also included a wish list. I don't have a wish list because I have everything I need.