Saturday, 01 March, 2008

The Table Illusion

The red and the green areas are identical in size and shape. I had to prove this to myself by using Photoshop to cut, paste, and rotate.

Perhaps even more amazing is the fact that I'd never seen this illusion until today.

1. By susan. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @05:03pm:
    If you say so, John.
  2. By jody. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @06:08pm:
    How old is J-Walk?

When does senility usually kick in?
  3. By Juan.618. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @06:17pm:

Yep. It's been around for about 30 years. It was invented by Roger Shepard, a psychologist, in the late 70s or early 80s, and crops up in all sorta places on the interwebs.
  4. By Indigo Kid. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @06:49pm:
    Even more astounding:

0 and 0 are exactly the same...
  5. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @08:10pm:
    Senility began to set in about three years ago. But it's not so bad that I would forget that optical illusion. I really have never seen it before.
  6. By thebrokedown. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @08:13pm:
    I used the low tech "measure one table with my fingers and then hold my fingers spread out that distance against the other table" method.
  7. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Mar-2008 @10:41pm:
    Yep, I missed that one on the Marine Corps aptitude exam.

Luckily, I got the picture of a phillips screw head matched up correctly with the phillips screw driver (the other choices being a slotted screw driver, a pair of pliers and a hammer). The farm boy next to me needed a prompt from the sergeant/proctor.

Even luckier, I managed to get a life threatening staph infection before I actually had to raise my hand, and they didn't want me even as 1967 cannon fodder.
  8. By Evil KLown. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @07:56am:
    That illusion caused me some brain damage.
  9. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @08:19am:
    That's not a very good item for an aptitude test. If you get it correct, either:

1. You've seen the illusion before
    2. You think it's a trick question, and answer accordingly
    3. Your brain isn't functioning normally
  10. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @08:31am:
    For the skeptics:

tableanimnated.gif
  11. By wally the duck. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @08:59am:
    I believe you, John, I believe you.
    The banjo stuff, however, is getting further from reality every day.
  12. By Guy. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @09:57am:
    Here's a website that attributes the original illusion to Roger Shepherd.

I've never seen it before either, nor heard of Roger Shepard.
  13. By Phos..... Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @12:04pm:
    I have to side with J-walk on this one being obscure.

11 years ago when I first got online at home, I remember looking for optical illusions. I still chase them down regularly when a random post on a random blog reminds me once again.

I'd never seen this one.

I even held pieces of chip board up to hide the legs of the tables; I stood up and did the same thing while looking at the static image with my head positioned at 90°. They still looked like two different sizes to me.

If I had not seen it done, I would have performed the same confirmation in Photoshop.
  14. By L.. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @01:22pm:
    Never one to dodge a bandwagon, let me add my voice to those who had not seen this one before.
  15. By Namowal. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @02:10pm:
    Another reminder that what we think we see isn't necessarily what's actually there.
  16. By pel. Comment posted 02-Mar-2008 @07:50pm:
    I have seen very similar illusions, but not this exact one. Assumed that they must be the same, that being the nature of an illusion, but had to hold a ruler up to the screen and measure for proof. Yup!
  17. By Anyone. Comment posted 03-Mar-2008 @10:18am:
    This "illusion" ignores the fact that the pixel matrix on a monitor is not comprised of squares, they are actually rectangles. As such, the "proof" demonstrated in post #10 is inaccurate.