Friday, 01 December, 2006
By the numbers: 1 in 32 Americans in jails, on parole.
A record 7 million people - or one in every 32 American adults - were behind bars, on probation or on parole by the end of last year, according to the Justice Department. Of those, 2.2 million were in prison or jail, an increase of 2.7 percent over the previous year, according to a report released Wednesday.
More than 4.1 million people were on probation and 784,208 were on parole at the end of 2005. Prison releases are increasing, but admissions are increasing more.
What a negative headline! Why didn't they use this one? 31 in 32 Americans are not in jail, on parole.
- By J-W #656. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:18am:
- By Equivocator. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:34pm:
- By Pancho. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:03pm:
- By Ivan Quentin. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @10:46am:
- By Debb. Comment posted 06-Dec-2006 @09:26am: