Monday, 01 December, 2008
Parking Lot Cemeteries
Apparently, it's not too uncommon: Cemeteries in Parking Lots.
While I was researching the "Cemetery Safari" chapter for my upcoming book Weird Oklahoma, I came across an unusual burial site west of Tulsa that was entirely enclosed within a strip-mall parking lot. Once sacred ground, it's now a conspicuous patch of grass in a sea of asphalt, a quirky spectacle to the shoppers forced to drive around it on their way to Radio Shack.
The handful of graves had become an absurd sight gag that punctuated the often indiscriminate momentum of American progress. And it got me thinking: were there others like it?
Here's Burr Cemetery in Commack, New York -- right next to Home Depot.
- By Lita. Comment posted 01-Dec-2008 @08:12am:
- By Miss Poppy Hussein Dixon. Comment posted 01-Dec-2008 @09:03am:
- By csi. Comment posted 01-Dec-2008 @10:40am:
- By Ramon. Comment posted 01-Dec-2008 @01:29pm:
- By NoAlias. Comment posted 01-Dec-2008 @06:41pm:
- By Nakata. Comment posted 03-Dec-2008 @01:34am: