Sunday, 07 September, 2008

Pamn’s ‘Move Blogging’ Begins Tomorrow

A few days ago, I mentioned that Pamn's daughter and her family are Going To Virginny. Readers offered lots of good advice, and they actually implemented some of the suggestions.

Today they left, and tomorrow Pamn will begin a series of daily posts to update their progress from Southern California to Roanoke, Virginia. To recap, this trip involves ...

• Two adults
  • Two kids (age 7 and 8)
  • Four horses
  • Two dogs
  • One cat
  • A Budget Rental truck, towing a car (driven by him)
  • A Ford F-350 pulling a horse trailer (driven by her)

It's already been quite eventful -- and not in a a good way. But I'll let Pamn tell the stories.

I also created a new category, so their friends can follow along without having to read all of the other drivel I post. So they can just bookmark this link: Moving To Virginia.

1. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @05:13pm:
    You know that I'm a techno weinie, but I click on that link and weird stuff happens...and not in a good way.

I think the theme song of this move should be the theme song to The Beverly Hillbillies played backwards.
  2. By Blayne. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @05:35pm:
    Which is the main sponser, Budget®, Ford®, or Purina®?
  3. By J-Walk. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @05:41pm:
    Here ya go:

.srats eivom ,sloop nimmiwS .si taht ,slliH .ylreveB ot devom dna kcurt eht pu dedaol yeht oS eb ot thguo uoy ecalp eht si ynrofilaC diaS ereht morf yawa evom deJ dias klofniK ,erianoillim a s'deJ 'lo wonk uoy gniht tsrif eht lleW .aet saxeT ,dlo g kcalb ,si taht liO .edurc 'nilbbub a emac dnuorg eht hguorht pu dnA ,doof emos ta nitoohs saw eh yad eno nehT ,def ylimaf sih tpek ylerab ,reeniatnuom roop A deJ deman nam a tuoba yrots a ot netsil dna emoC

Download MP3.
  4. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @05:43pm:
    Ye-haw.

Banjo music at its very best.
  5. By J-Walk. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @05:43pm:
    Which is the main sponser, Budget®, Ford®, or Purina®?

At this point, they need a tire sponsor. But that's all I can say...
  6. By Banjo Brad. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:12pm:
    Question.

Two adults? Isn't Pamn an adult? That should make three.
  7. By wormpicker. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:16pm:
    I was wondering the same thing. I take it Pamn will be doing 2nd-hand reporting?
  8. By wok. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:20pm:
    She's not a-goin, she's just possibly a-reportin'!
  9. By J-Walk. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:27pm:
    Pamn ain't goin' nowhere.

But she is in constant (too constant?) phone touch with them. So she'll just be reportin' the news in the fair and balanced way that we've become accustomed to here at the J-Walk Blog.
  10. By MikeB. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:28pm:
    I was born and raised in Roanoke, VA and it is a great place to live. I'm sure they will find it to be a low cost, high standard of living place.
  11. By J-Walk. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:32pm:
    I'll bet there's some good old time music happening there.
  12. By wok. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:41pm:
    There just might be. Not the best income siutation, but I like that female to male ratio!
  13. By NoAlias. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @06:46pm:
    Thank you for clearing up the people count discrepancy. I was trying to figure out who was the 'him' in driven by him - Pamn or the daughter.

And,
    It's already been quite eventful -- and not in a a good way.

along with your comment about needing a tire sponsorship, may hint at the event....
  14. By Toad. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @07:15pm:
    Are we gonna get GPS updates with a Google Maps mashup? Huh? Huh?

I'm already in suspense. They didn't have to eat the horses, did they?
  15. By J-Walk. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @07:30pm:
    They didn't have to eat the horses, did they?

Last report, the horses are still alive. But they're still in primo McDonald's territory, so that urge has been satisfied by a drive-through.
  16. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @07:30pm:
    I live about 3 hours south of Roanoke. Been there a couple of times.

Their real claim to fame is the fact that it is home to a J Class Locomotive, most notably the N & W 611. Unfortunately they stopped giving rides on it a couple of years ago and have since mothballed it.
    They also have a great coffee shop downtown near the Farmer's Market and their radio station WPTF is also top shelf.

611 Now resides at the Va Museum of Transportation
  17. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @07:36pm:
    ...sorry meant to say WVTF

errrrghhh...
  18. By Pamn. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @07:58pm:
    Toad
    The dang GPS kept telling Carisa to turn LEFT towards I-8 when what she WANTED to do was go RIGHT towards I-10. These dang new-fangled computerized machines ain't worth a damn when you know where you're going/want to go. Now, if it works when they DON'T know where the heck they are, money well spent!
  19. By Doug. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @08:02pm:
    Maybe we can catch them driving thru El Paso on Monday. (320 miles east of Tucson) 6-7 hours?

I made these traffic cam pages to help in my local commutes.
    Screenshot or right click to save images.

20. By wombat. Comment posted 07-Sep-2008 @09:25pm:
    How about J-walk 3.0 - Now 95% drivel-free!
  21. By Ice Giant 37. Comment posted 08-Sep-2008 @06:26am:
    Keep an eye on Hurricane Ike. Driving with a trailer can't be fun in a torrential downpour.