Monday, 01 February, 2010

Newspaper Spam

A few months ago, we started to get an unwanted weekly newspaper at no charge. In some areas it's even worse: How Can I Make The Newspaper Stop When I Don't Subscribe?

the Baltimore Sun has a nasty habit of delivering what they call "Sun Plus" to anyone who doesn't subscribe to the newspaper. Sun Plus comes in a standard newspaper bag and is essentially a single sheet of newsprint wrapped around a stack of ads and flyers. They deliver it on a seemingly random basis and not on any set schedule.

The sheet of newsprint does contain instructions for unsubscribing. We've lived in our house for six years and I've probably unsubscribed 15-20 times. I've tried both options listed - phone and email - to no avail.

Permalink | Posted in Spam & Scams |
  1. By Tom Woad. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @12:02pm:
    They should be subject to littering laws.
  2. By Gee.... Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @12:11pm:
    I have a Statesman box on the pole with my mailbox. When I moved into my house they started delivering it and just wouldn't stop! I eventually taped a piece of cardboard over the opening and wrote "I DON'T GET THE STATESMAN!" on it.
    They finally stopped.
  3. By Phos..... Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @12:43pm:
    I'd gather as many as I could, load 'em up in the car and go dump them in their main office.

This is not just anonymous, online bravado & bluster. That's exactly the sort of thing meatspace Phos has done and will continue to do.
  4. By Max Murdoc. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @01:22pm:
    Been trying to get this exact thing done for many many years and it just doesn't seem to work. They keep on delivering.
  5. By Lairbo. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @01:25pm:
    Phos: I once witnessed someone "returning" all of the take-out menus slipped under his door by a local chinese restaurant in NY. He lobbed a sackful of them into their entry and they scattered around in a very satisfying way.
  6. By Robert. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @02:10pm:
    I collected similar printing and periodically dumped them in the drive and front porch of the editor of the paper with a note that I wanted the distribution stopped. I took three to four months, but all of a sudden they stopped.
  7. By Gee.... Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @02:45pm:
    You could collect them for a bit then mail them back, "postage due".
  8. By Maconga. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @03:03pm:
    In some places, there are laws that actually address the very thing you're speaking of. Here, it's called "Illegally placing property on the premises of another". It might be worth checking out...
  9. By another larry. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @03:11pm:
    I've got about twenty of them under my truck
  10. By Purchasepro. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @03:31pm:
    Ask the Sheriff here he said he would write them a ticket for littering after I ask that they stop delivery. Passed it along to the carrier and he stopped delivery. Same goes for all those useless telephone books that no one ever looks at.
  11. By Dave Kelly. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @04:35pm:
    What about snail mail?
  12. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @04:39pm:
    I keep getting them tossed in my driveway carefully wrapped in a turquoise bag that screams "There's no one home here", and I don't like it one bit.

I have thought about saving a bunch and taking them back and this just might inspire me to do so.
  13. By decibelcat. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @05:10pm:

I have been trying to stop delivery of the telephone book for 20 years but have had no luck with it.

I will definitely try your tactic the next time I receive one.
  14. By Christopher. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @05:55pm:
    I dont know, I'm a 20th century guy. I LIKE the Phone Book.

I just recycle the old ones.

Never involved the local Police.

What FUN!
  15. By Maven. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @06:18pm:
    "The phone books are here! The phone books are here!"

Seriously though, report them for littering if they won't stop.

(They stopped when I asked them in my small town)
  16. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Feb-2010 @09:49pm:
    Christopher - I have three phone books in my home and I refer them equally as often as I look an address up on-line. What I don't like is all of the non-phone company books that end up on my porches (I own an three unit town house). I know that those outfits essentially blackmail merchants into advertising with them by letting them know that some folks don't know the difference and will replace the "real" book with their ersatz model.

(By the way, I believe I am the first poster to correctly use "ersatz" in the last five years.)
  17. By Lamb. Comment posted 02-Feb-2010 @08:51am:
    YES! This friggin paper is always laying on my lawn(except when they throw it in the bushes!) What a waste, I peel off the plastic wrapper and toss it in the recycling bin every time. I always plan on getting up at 3am and waiting for the paper van so I can strike a deal to skip my house but when I'm dead asleep and the alarm goes off it suddenly doesn't seem like such a big deal.