Tuesday, 21 March, 2006

My Answers

My answers to your Ask J-Walk questions.

Several: Hey, what happened to the Blogmeister picture of the day? Now it changes whenever I refresh the page.

I just got tired of doing it. When I reached the 300th image, I figured it was a good time to stop. So now those 300 images appear randomly.

pat: How do you deal with image hot-linking?

Until recently, I just ignored it. But not too long ago I added some code to my .htaccess file that prevents other site from displaying my images. I made exceptions for a few online RSS readers and Whole Wheat Radio. For details, do a Web search for htaccess image hotlinking.

Jim: What's your take on the myspace.com fad that has erupted in the last few months?

I've pretty much ignored it. I saw an article at the Alexa blog called MySpace... Taking Over the World. Myspace.com is now in the top-10 most popular site list.

Every time I've ever visited a MySpace site, I'm turned off and don't stick around. It just seems like a bunch of kids having fun. But I had no idea it was so popular.

Ross: What are the skies like in Arizona, do they go on forever? do they have many little or fluffy clouds? Or have I been lied to?

Arizona skies are beautiful. Sometimes they have little fluffy clouds. Sometimes they don't. One thing I like is that there aren't many planes flying overhead -- at least where I live.

Doug: Can you make external links open in a new window? Or is this e-e-evil? I go off on a tangent following your interesting links and get too far down the road to backup to your blog.

I prefer to the let the user decide how links open. If you want a new Window, press Shift while you click the link. Better yet, use a browser that has tabs.

PD: JW, been here with you for a few years. Really enjoyed your stuff....every day. Though lately, it seems, there's a religious piece almost every day. While I know, as well as you, there are a lot of nuts out there, can't you go a week without it? Seems like you're addicted lately. Did something happen recently that really pissed up your ass about religion? Seems like your site has gone from fun stuff to a daily anti-religion + a couple extras blog. Just curious, as I used to check out your blog every day, without fail, and now it has widened to checking it once a week. Does it offend me...no. Do religion topics get stale quickly...yes. Whats up?

I've talked about this many times before. I post stuff that interests me. Religion interests me because it's so widespread, yet it's nothing but superstition. People talk about their religion as if there's actually some basis to it. I find that fascinating. It doesn't bother me at all if people stop reading this blog because they don't like the content. That's exactly how blogs work.

biff: About those Google ads. You get a "royalty" for every click-through, right? Well, what's to stop you from sitting there all day just clicking the ads and rolling up the dough?

It's called "click fraud," and Google has a way of detecting it. If that happened, I would very quickly be banned from displaying those ads.

An AOL user: How do I make an e mail new and erase one name from it, and move up another name? It is a Resipe exchange and we only have two names to deal with. I am supposed to send my resipe to the first name and then make the e mail new, take off the first name and then move up the next one and then add my name. Thanks.

I suppose you need to edit the email addresses in the To: field.

Herbert: 62% of Canadian women have done it. what is it?

That's an old question, and I don't think it has an answer. Maybe it does, but I don't know it.

jay: What ever happened with your fax-spam / junk fax situation?

I gave up. I realized that the junk faxers can do whatever they want, and it's not worth the time or effort to try to get them to stop. Obviously, they have enough money to buy the laws that allow them to continue, so there's nothing I can do about it.

Chris: Do you ever get days, where like, everything you find just sucks. And you say, well... I gotta print something today, might as well be crap - if I just didn't publish I there would be all these unsatisfied fanboys.

Yes. Coincidentally, today was such a day.

Rix: I like what you did with Excel and the Bible. have you ever thought of trying to put the CIA's World Factbook into Excel? They have a mostly text version, but I expect it would still be some work to extract meaningful pieces.

I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. I've done enough useless work importing the Bible into Excel.

Permalink | Posted in Ask J-Walk |
  1. By Junk cultur vulture. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @10:21am:
    I think Ross might have spent a little too long listening to The Orb's ambient dub classic "Little Fluffy Clouds"

"How were the skies like when you were young?

They went on and on forever and
    When I, we lived in Arizona
    And the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them
    And, they were long, clear there were lots of stars at night
    And we were dreaming they'd all turn
    They they were beautiful
    The most beautiful skies as a matter of fact
    Ah, the sunsets were
    Purple and red and yellow and blue and firing
    The clouds would catch the glizzard
    That's it's neat 'cause I used to look at them all the time
    You don't see that

Firing different sounds
    Firing different sounds

Little fluffy clouds
    Little fluffy clouds
    Little fluffy clouds
    Little fluffy clouds"

etc etc
  2. By Junk cultur vulture. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @10:23am:
  3. By just a reader. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @10:24am:
    It seems people constantly ask you to "make external links open in a new window", I, too enjoy this feature. You stated you'd "prefer to the let the user decide how links open." I agree. How about this... can you bring back that checkbox in the left panel that lets the user decide if s/he wants the links to open in a new window.
  4. By another larry. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @10:26am:
    if you want a new window all the time just edit your reg-file
  5. By Wendy!. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @11:07am:
    Lets make a list...
    Things People Say to J-Walk all the time:
    Why don't you make links open in a new window?
    Why don't you stop with the religious posts?
  6. By another larry. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @11:10am:
    Lets make a list...
    Things J-Walk says to People all the time:
    If you want a new Window, press Shift while you click the link
    I post stuff that interests me.
  7. By Beans. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @11:16am:
    Q: 62% of Canadian women have done it. what is it?
    A: Played hockey.
  8. By FFSteve. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @11:18am:
    There is a link to download the CIA textbook to use when you are not online. http://www.cia.gov/cia/download.html
  9. By Lonestar. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @12:50pm:
    You can make any website available offline when you add it to your favorites. It works something like this in IE:

1. Surf to the site.

2. In the Favorites dro-down menu, click Add to Favorites.

3. Check the Make available offline check box and then click OK.

You can use the Customize button to specify how/when the page should be updated and how much content to download.
  10. By Rg. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @01:07pm:
    "I made exceptions for a few online RSS readers "

Can you add Google Reader as an exception? I started losing images in your posts a while back. Why do I deserve it? Well, I didn't say "loosing". Thanks!
  11. By Geeza. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @05:24pm:
    My God, do you illiterate Americans really spell 'Resipe' like that or is it a mistake?

Pleese let mi noe and put mi out of mi myseri.
  12. By J-Walk. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @05:31pm:

It's an AOL user. It seems that every question I get from an AOL user either makes no sense, or appears to be written by a 9-year old. I'm sure that there are some fine AOL users out there, but they don't send me any email.
  13. By Doug. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @05:45pm:
    Lets make a list...
    Things People Say to J-Walk all the time:
    Why don't you make links open in a new window?
    Why don't you stop with the religious posts?

As my Grandma used to say....
    Do ask don't get.
    Don't ask don't want.
  14. By Andie. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @05:51pm:
    Geeza,
    you illiterate Americans?
    That's quite a sweeping generalization. Many of us actually pride ourselves on using correct spelling and grammar.
  15. By YetAnotherDave. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @05:53pm:
    There is a way to eliminate junk faxes. Put an answering machine on your fax line, and set your fax to answer after more rings than the answering machine. Most spam will hang up after detecting a human voice answering, but your own fax machine will still be listening for a fax tone. Friendly faxes usually don't have voice detection; they either get through or time out eventually.
  16. By hector. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @05:54pm:
    I like the religious posts.
    But I hate God.
    He causes so much pain and misery.
  17. By TOOT. Comment posted 21-Mar-2006 @07:40pm:
    Doed PD really not know that "something happened recently about religion"? He must just look at the pictures. I wonder what he thinks that spaghetti monster is.
  18. By Geeza. Comment posted 22-Mar-2006 @01:18pm: