Monday, 01 June, 2009

Lunch Photos

Photos: School Lunch From Around The World. Most are from the U.S., but here's one from Japan:

I don't know what's in that bowl on the left, but those nice sardines make up for it.

Permalink | Posted in Food & Drink |
  1. By T-Dog. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @08:30am:
    Is that a pack of smokes on the plate?
  2. By John Wilson. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @08:31am:
    Yuck!!!
  3. By anaceofkidneys. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @08:48am:
    Those all look incredibly delicious except for the US ones. But then again, I LOVE "weird" Asian food. The organic American meal does look quite good, but surely that's only available at a private school.

That plate of golden fried things that look like kibbles is pretty typical of what I remember from public school lunch. Mmmmmm kibbles.
  4. By Big Fella. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @10:30am:
    Interesting, though it might have been more interesting if the blogger had been required to eat the food, and then report on it. The blogger is strictly an amateur eater, betrayed by the fact that he incorrectly labels mussels as scallops on one of the French trays.
  5. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @10:52am:
    We had dinner at an up-scale Mexican place the other night with friends, one of whom ordered fish. He nearly fled the premises when it arrived with head and tail still attached. His squeamish behavior moved him down a peg or two in my estimation. This is a man who hunts! WTF?
  6. By Shel-tone. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @12:22pm:
    I wish I could go to a resteraunt that served these. I would try every single one.
  7. By deaudonnee. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @03:45pm:
    Ha! Fish with head still attached is probably still on the menu in all of Cozumel's restaurants. Really good if it's grilled with a lot of garlic and lime.
  8. By ...pat.. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @04:17pm:
    Jean, buy your friend some freeze-dried capelin or smelt to get him going :-D
    http://www.mycanadianpets.ca/gpage3.html (OK, they're only selling it for cats. But when I was growing up, packages of dried capelin were sold for people eating, not pets).
  9. By Gee.... Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @04:39pm:
    They trust their kids with glass in Sweden!!
  10. By LJW. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @04:45pm:
    I think it was interesting that every non-us lunch that came with silverware, was actual silverware. The us cafeterias (except in 1 or 2 instances I noticed) had plastic utensils. This either shows how un-eco friendly we are, how little we trust our school children with items that could be construed as weapons or how crappy our school lunches are that it doesn't matter what you used to shovel it into your mouth.
  11. By Dean Booth. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @05:23pm:
    Back in high school, they served a Salsbury steak and biscuits meal that was so good I still daydream about it. *slow drool*
  12. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @05:38pm:
    Did it look anything like this, Dean?

salisburysteakbiscuit.jpg

If so, I can understand how it could be the fodder of daydreams.
  13. By anaceofkidneys. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @06:19pm:
    @LJW: most cafeterias in the US don't even use washable trays anymore - they use styrofoam ones. Even that yummy-looking organic meal comes in a disposable tray. I didn't see a single disposable dish or utensil in any of the foreign meals.
  14. By Ngan. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @08:35pm:
    i think its chinese, not japanese. the text on the box drink appears to be mandarin, not nippon-go
  15. By Gal Heathen. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @09:13pm:
    Just last night a co-worker and I were getting nostalgic about school lunches from the old days. In the Long Beach School district we had lunch ladies that cooked every day. My friend and I remembered smelling lunch cooking during school. Lunch cost 0.25. (I guess now it's free)

One of our favorites was turkey in gravy over mashed potatoes. They always made good cakes in big sheets that they cut up into squares. I always wanted seconds. Now the lunches look cold and uninviting.
  16. By mmmark. Comment posted 01-Jun-2009 @11:21pm:
    They used to make a great reuben sandwich at my high school. Grilled, good kraut, good dressing, lean corned beef... mmmmmmmm. I want one now.