Thursday, 21 September, 2006

Keyless Entry Hack

Something to keep in mind: Weak security in our daily lives.

So, you know those cars with that keyless entry pad? The one under the driver's side handle? Well, if you look closely you will see that there are really only 5 buttons, labeled "1/2", "3/4", "5/6", "7/8", "9/0"

I am going to give you a sequence of minimal length that, when you enter it into a car's numeric keypad, is guaranteed to unlock the doors of said car. It is exactly 3129 keypresses long, which should take you around 20 minutes to go through.

Print this, and put it in your wallet or purse. Just in case.

1. By another larry. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @08:00am:
    My favorite car, the one I drive to work when it's too cold to ride my scooter is a 64VW Beetle. Years ago the key broke off in the hole so I installed a little push button near the gear level foot. The doors don't lock (only the boot lid locks), yet no one has ever tried to steal it. Maybe it's because all the fenders are different colors or that it has a stick shift or the clothes hanger antenna or the front lic plate is upside down. I was looking for one of those keyless entry pads in the junk yard so I got attach it to the VW's door.
  2. By Zimbu. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @08:00am:
    Actually, it is more probable that the person will unlock the car much sooner than 20 minutes. That's only if you have incredibly bad luck and your combination is the last in the sequence.
  3. By Robert. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @08:05am:
    Smarter systems would have a time-out period after x number of failed password attempts. Of course, smarter systems need smarter people to develop them...
  4. By Indigo Kid. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @08:58am:
    If you are going to carry the keypad numbers in your wallet, why not just carry the real numbers instead of... Or is that too obvious?

Nice to know that car thieves, if they didn't have it already, now have the access codes...
  5. By Sol. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @01:05pm:
    Notice that "9999" is in there twice? It's really only 3125 keypresses (assuming a 5-digit code).
  6. By WRC. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @02:28pm:

Print this, and put it in your wallet or purse. Just in case.

Better still,

1. Snag the list or copy it from View Source or however, get the list into your computer.

2. Get a text-to-speech program to read it at a medium pace into a computer file (e.g., MP3). Edit as necessary to get the correct speed.

3. Download the file into your ipod.

4. At the "target vehicle" you start your ipod playing the file and just punch the numbers as you hear them in your earbuds.

OR:

Just use a brick.
  7. By jm. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @05:00pm:
    The codes can be 8 digits long, maybe even longer, so they're gonna need a bigger list. Those keypads will also freeze up for 30 seconds or a minute if they detect a certain number of wrong digits.

I can unlock most cars in a few seconds with a "slim jim" (I'm not a thief, it was job related). It would take less time to teach someone to do that than to punch in all those numbers.

A brick is still faster, or anything sharp for that matter. The tip of a knife will easily shatter a window, and they're easier to carry around than bricks.

Here's some trivia; any Ford with a keypad can be locked by pressing the last 2 keys simultaneously (7/8 and 9/0 I suppose). If your friend has a Ford and forgets to lock their door, say "no problem, I got it" and push the buttons to blow their mind.
  8. By biff. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @06:17pm:
    jm is either a repo man or a cop.
  9. By cyanman. Comment posted 21-Sep-2006 @07:34pm:
    Had a guy I work with get his car "broken in to" a month ago. He got back to his SUV after a job and noticed as he unlocked it that all of the stuff in the back was gone. No sign of forced entry, all the doors still locked & the alarm set. As he was standing looking at his car trying to make sense of it the cops drove by and asked if he had been broken into *also*.

Turns out there was a guy who had Ford's backdoor code which opens all Ford vehicles who was patrolling the lot picking a nice target, entering the code, stealing all the stuff and relocking the car when he was done.

Luck for him they had caught the guy elsewhere in the lot, but the Mercury dealer tried to charge him $100 to change the master password to something besides the factory default.

Remind me never to buy a vehicle with keyless entry!
  10. By William Tell. Comment posted 22-Sep-2006 @10:15am:
    Can I copy paste? Or is the keyboard the only available input device? If I hire enough monkeys, will they type the right code, given enough time?
  11. By jm. Comment posted 22-Sep-2006 @03:15pm:
    "jm is either a repo man or a cop."

Nope, I've just work around cars and idiots who lock the keys in at least 1-2 cars a day.

Here's a little irony; my car was broken into last night...