Saturday, 03 June, 2006

Impressions Of Sweden

This week, your impressions of Sweden (for Andie).

1. By john Weeks. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @03:46pm:
    Thanks John,
    when I was a kid , I lived ther for a year or so while my father was doing research . My memories are those of a child but I thought it was a nice place at the time. I'll go ahead and give it the thumbs up.
    for the BBC , this is John Weeks, reporting from North Crackolina.
    back to you John.
  2. By Andie. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @03:52pm:
    Thanks, JW. That was quick.

My father's parents were from Sweden. His father died before I was born and my grandmother was very old and infirm when I was small. My aunts visited Sweden many, many decades ago. I've received various gifts from others who've been, but I still know little about the country itself other than what I see on TV.
    I'm told the population is largely tall and blonde, but my family was neither.

At Christmas gatherings when I was a kid I recall lots of herring and a dark bread called vort limpe (spelling?). I know only a few words or phrases in Swedisth: litten flicka (little girl), tak sa mycket (thanks so much) and Sveriga (Sweden).
  3. By Maven. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @04:16pm:
    I've been to Sweden a few times now on business, and it seems a ncie country. Both times I was unable to get out of Stockholm,but I was able to tour the city quite a bit. It seems to me over half the population of Stockholm is immigrants (much like most major American cities)

Can't say much about Swedish food. The restaraunts mostly served Italian/American/Chinese/etc.
  4. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @04:18pm:
    It's on my list of countries I want to see. I love Ingmar Bergman films. "Fannie and Alexander" is one of my lifetime favorites.
  5. By growabrain. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @05:07pm:
    After the long & dark Nordic winder, the arrival of spring is magical, and the brightness & smells of summer make life worth living again. The celebration of St. Hans / summer solstice is truly a joy to experience. It includes some of the most beautiful folk songs I know.
  6. By wally the duck. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @05:13pm:
    I've never been there but have some Architecture books that have pictures and maps of Stockholm - and parts of that city are wonderfully beautiful. The old city is build amongs small islands with with bridges between.

Some pictures:
    tower_view.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.richgros.com/Travel/Scandinavia/Stockholm/Stockholm01.html&h=205&w=273&sz=22&tbnid=hUxAcmYE0c9x9M:&tbnh=81&tbnw=108&hl=en&start=15&prev;=/images?q=stockholm+aerial+view&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&sa=X

Sorry for not condensing the link... I'm lazy today.
  7. By Jane. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @05:40pm:
    My father's family is from Sweden. We've been in touch with some distant relatives there and it seems that the area from which our family originally came is pretty rustic. Apparently my dad's cracks about us being peasants probably weren't too far off the mark.

We had tickets for a flight to Sweden that would have taken place September 16, 2001. Needless to say, we didn't end up going.
  8. By Rance. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @06:03pm:
    I'm half Swede and love the Swedish meatballs and pancakes. I do not however eat Lutefisk, which is cod fish, cured in lye.
  9. By Linda. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @06:43pm:
    We visited Stockholm last summer for a few days, and it was magic. Absolutely great light, and wonderful museums and architecture, and we found fantastic jazz there. We took a cruise out of Stockholm and sitting high on the ship watching the Archipelago slip away is a sight I will always remember. As the summer sun slowly set (we are talking about an 11 pm sunset here), we cruised slowly through an increasingly sparse group of wonderous small islands en route to the open ocean - forested, rocky, and some with brightly painted wood homes. It was very special and I hope to visit Sweden again someday.
  10. By Andie. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @07:15pm:
    Rance,
    I don't actually know what lutefisk is like and I'm positive I would NOT eat any, but I am surprised you won't eat it since you've tasted blubber :)

Linda,
    That is an exquisite description. Thanks.
  11. By J-Walk. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @07:31pm:
    Rance, I'm sure if we wrapped some bacon around those lutefisk, grilled 'em with a bit of BBQ sauce, you'd eat them. It may take a few prelimiary beers, but you'd eat them. If no bacon is available, just use blubber.
  12. By Rance. Comment posted 03-Jun-2006 @08:47pm:
    The other day we went down to the ocean...
    mvc012f3cg.th.jpg

Dropped a line...
    mvc005f6ca.th.jpg

Hooked a Halibut...
    mvc007f7rx.th.jpg

Well a few of them...
    mvc010f9dk.th.jpg

Cut into bite size chunks, wrapped them rascals in bacon, brushed with barbie sauce and grilled to perfection...
    mvc003f5io.th.jpg
    With a nice juicy beer butt chicken on the side...mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
  13. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 04-Jun-2006 @06:55am:
    BEER BUTT CHICKEN! You are really cooking. Wish I wuz there!
  14. By Webbie. Comment posted 04-Jun-2006 @09:13am:
    They are always drawn with England (and then always draw with them ;))
    Hopefully on the 20th we'll win this time.
  15. By Chris J. Comment posted 04-Jun-2006 @09:35am:
    Up here in Seattle, a local community has a yearly Lutefisk festival.
    After hearing how this awful sounding creation is made, I decided this one won't be on my list of things to do.

Lutefisk (pronounced LEWD-uh-fisk) is dried cod that has been soaked in a lye solution for several days to rehydrate it. It is then boiled or baked and served with butter, salt, and pepper. The finished lutefisk usually is the consistency of Jello. It is also called lyefish.

Just because they figured a way to preserve food prior to refrigeration doesn't mean it need to be a tradition.
  16. By Jane. Comment posted 04-Jun-2006 @10:07am:
    My dad's "eat what you get and like it" lectures mostly centered around the fact that his dad would buy a barrel of lutefisk and feed the whole family with it for weeks. (This was during the Depression.)
  17. By Marilyn. Comment posted 05-Jun-2006 @06:25am:
    Looking at the map in just that color I've realized what Sweden resembles.

Sorry, I have nothing intelligent to add, except that I was raised in the Evangelical Free Church, which was founded by Danes, Swedes, and Norwegians, (we were a lonely Irish family), but I have never had lutefisk forced upon me.
  18. By Marilyn. Comment posted 05-Jun-2006 @06:27am:
    Ha ha ha ha ha. I just scrolled down to the previous entry "A Big One". In line with my previous observation, this juxtaposition almost made me fall out of my office chair!
  19. By Boltraffio. Comment posted 06-Jun-2006 @03:32am:
    Two years ago we went to Sweden on holiday. We rented a vacation home in a small village near Ystad. Ystad is a town on the south coast, and the (fictional) home of Inspector Wallander (books by Henning Mankell). In summer, you can take an Inspector Wallander tour in an old fire engine. You can take a look at the market here: http://www.ystad.se/Ystadweb.nsf/AllDocuments/57E7A8501BF9D271C1256ACB005CADA1. If you want to listen to their local radio, it's here: http://www.radioactive.se/. Click on "lyssna".