Saturday, 20 May, 2006

Impressions Of Chile

This week: Chile.

It's a thin one. About 2,880 miles high by 265 miles wide.

1. By Tombraider. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @09:18am:
    Glad to see you appreciate history, J-Walk. I know you picked Chile because today is a national holiday there marking the invention of the greatest life-saver in history - the venetian blind. The venetian blind was invented by a Chilian hero named Hernando de Venuto on May 20, 1857 and Chile has celebrated this boon to Mankind ever since. I don't know why everyone else doesn't properly show their appreciation for the miracle of venetian blinds, but we wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for venetian blinds. Yes, if it weren't for venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all.
  2. By Tombraider. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @09:20am:
    Lord, I apologize for that. My medication hasn't kicked in yet this morning.
  3. By PoohPoohBear. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @09:24am:
    I love Chile, especially con carne.
  4. By Curtis. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @09:36am:
  5. By john beardsworth. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @09:53am:
    I don't think it's one of those countries we the Brits have bombed or invaded, and I'm very proud we arrested Maggie's friend the dictator, even if we did have to let him go.

Lots of good wine. Probably a fascinating place to visit.
  6. By Haffy. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @10:09am:
    Chilean Merlot goes well with curry.
  7. By major_danny. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @10:22am:
    Hey, Chile! Quit hogging the coastline, man!
  8. By Eenie Meenie. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @10:40am:
    Ah, yes. Pablo Neruda

Brown and Agile Child

Brown and agile child, the sun which forms the fruit
    And ripens the grain and twists the seaweed
    Has made your happy body and your luminous eyes
    And given your mouth the smile of water.

A black and anguished sun is entangled in the twigs
    Of your black mane when you hold out your arms.
    You play in the sun as in a tidal river
    And it leaves two dark pools in your eyes.

Brown and agile child, nothing draws me to you,
    Everything pulls away from me here in the noon.
    You are the delirious youth of bee,
    The drunkedness of the wave, the power of the heat.

My somber heart seeks you always
    I love your happy body, your rich, soft voice.
    Dusky butterfly, sweet and sure
    Like the wheatfiled, the sun, the poppy, and the water.
  9. By Pancho. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @10:52am:
    Chile is a true summary of the world.

At the north the Atacama is the hottest desert on earth, and (by Chilean's reckoning) the country goes down to the South Pole itself. Even not counting its antartic possessions its latitude span is equivalent to that from Juneau to Acapulco. In between, Chile has the tallest mountains outside the Himalayas, beautiful beaches, fabulous fjords, forests, fruit and, the first elected female liberal president in all the Americas. Personally, I enjoy its wines, mines and dome designs.

Santiago is a bustling, cosmopolitan city with lots of european flavor and Canadian residents (many go on mining business and stay). You never get lost in it because there's always a mountain or hill nearby to provide orientation. The colonial heritage is visible in bold color and beautiful old buildings downtown.

Indeed, one great place to visit. Literally.
  10. By Tom. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @10:54am:
    Did anyone else notice that the name of the country is not listed on that map? Talk about a forgotten country!
  11. By MAYORBOB. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @11:21am:
    Chilean sea bass -- good. Chilean grapes -- good. Former Chilean strong man Augusto Pinochet -- not so much.
  12. By john Weeks. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @12:30pm:
    Chile today, hot tamale.
  13. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @02:02pm:
    Augosto Pinochet...one of a long line of "anti-communist" dictators installed by the CIA, that just didn't work out in the long run....
  14. By Curtis. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @02:31pm:
    I've always wanted to go fly fishing in Chile.

Fantastic word tour of Chile, Pancho! You been a lot of places in this life and time.

Sitting on the porch drinking a Modelo Especial (finally found some bottles in Minneapolis).
  15. By girlatheist. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @03:36pm:
    ....and he's sung a lot of songs and made some bad rhymes.
  16. By Curtis. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @03:42pm:
    ...yeah, well, I wasn't going to mention that ga.
  17. By Pancho. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @04:36pm:
    Hi, y'all! And I wasn't even drinkin yet.

girlatheist, are you my exgirlfriend? If not, do you want to be? 8-X
  18. By Ali. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @04:58pm:
    For me Chile is synonymous with Salvador Allende, and his overthrow by the CIA through Augusto Pinochet:

Also the assassination of Orlando Letelier in Washington DC by Pinochet's agents:

Also the wonderful books and work by Isabel Allende:
  19. By Chance. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @06:52pm:
    My dad teaches in Chile a lot.
  20. By Jimmy. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @07:27pm:
    Actually Chile is 2880 miles 'long', but only 4.3 miles 'high' (Nevado Ojos del Salado).
  21. By Wally the Duck. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @07:52pm:
    Some of these comments make me think I would like to visit Chile.
  22. By ~Q~. Comment posted 20-May-2006 @08:15pm:
    ...if my words don't come together, listen to the melody...
  23. By Snag. Comment posted 21-May-2006 @05:09am:
    Chile is a spectacular, ancient, land between a rock and a wet place, but it also has other residents that everyone forgets ....

easteris6ic.jpg

Such a photogenic place deserves more pictures .....

chilealtiplano4ro.jpg

chile19ky.jpg

chile20vr.jpg

Also check here ......
  24. By R.Robot. Comment posted 21-May-2006 @10:52am:
    They make some fine wine in Chile - it's also home to the 'lost' Carmenere grape - the grape that pretended to be Merlot until recently. Sneaky.

Wikipedia says...
    "The Carmenere grape is a wine grape variety originally planted in the M├ędoc region of Bordeaux, France where it was used to produce deep red wines occasionally used for blending purposes in the same manner as Petit Verdot.

Presently, it is almost impossible to find Carmenere in Bordeaux as a Phylloxera plague in 1867 nearly destroyed all the vineyards of Europe and especially the Carmenere grapes. When the vineyards were replanted the growers choose not to replant Carmenere since it was hard to grow in Bordeaux. Fortunately, this grape variety was imported into Chile in 1850. In Chile it was sold and thought to be merlot until 1994 when Professor Jean-Michel Boursiquit of Montpellier's school of Oenology confirmed that it was Carmenere and not Merlot."
  25. By jt. Comment posted 21-May-2006 @05:10pm:
    wow! Chile is incredible. I went with my best friend four years ago. It was unbelievable. We stayed in Santiago and south. Went to Vina Del Mar, Pucon, Chillan, and Rancagua. The best vacation of my life. Beautiful country, beautiful women, great wine, incredible scenery, and just an unbelievable time. I will move there if life doesn't improve here. In love with this place.
  26. By Austin Long. Comment posted 21-May-2006 @09:36pm:
    Gotta love Chile. I have a little newsletter called http://www.ChileZine.com, some Chilean food sites at http://www.JBSauce.com and http://www.MyLatinGrocer.com.

Chile is like Europe if it were full of cooler people. It's not like other Latin American countries in my opinion, it's way advanced, awesome history, great place.
  27. By Greg!. Comment posted 22-May-2006 @06:41am:
    "Impressions Of Chile" is one of my favorite Who songs!

Impressions Of Chile made my life so wonderful
    Impressions Of Chile helped me sleep at night
    Impressions Of Chile solved my childhood problems
    Impressions Of Chile helped me feel alright
  28. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 22-May-2006 @03:49pm:
    Intriguing, as in having an eerie "Twilight Zone" type of moment - I was goofin' around with this song at a mutual friend's house on Friday night, and then on Saturday, I read:

Curtis: You been a lot of places in this life and time

girlatheist: ....and he's sung a lot of songs and made some bad rhymes

~Q~: ...if my words don't come together, listen to the melody...

Chile, indeed - it definitely gave me chills ...