Saturday, 08 April, 2006

Impressions Of Brazil

This week Brazil:

Brazil is slightly smaller than the U.S.. but has about 64% of the U.S. population.

1. By mare. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @07:23am:
    All I know about Brazil are Brazillians.
  2. By john beardsworth. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @07:40am:
    Yep, that's another country we the Brits have invaded - we had a nibble at Bahia and then gave them football. Rio's women look gorgeous, the Maracana's huge, and the Iguazu falls is on my must-see list for this lifetime. What do they eat?
  3. By Craig. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @08:00am:
    We have an Au Pair from Brazil. She is from Sao Paulo. It's been really interesting getting to know her, Brazilian people are more affectionate (lots of hugs) than Americans. She has said that one of the biggest challenges to her adjusting here has been the people...Americans are more "cold" or "distant" or something, and that has been hard for her. But on balance, she has really had a good experience, and I've enjoyed learning about Brazil, and meeting her family (via webcam). They are hoping to make a trip here to visit her while she is here, and we are all really looking forward to that. Plus, she has been an absolutely wonderful caregiver for our children. She has a knack for turning even mundane activities into a fun time just because of her personality. She says a lot of people from Brazil are like that.

Oh, and she brought some coffee with her from home that was some of the best coffee I've ever had. :-)
  4. By LPS. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @08:01am:
    brazilians... they have no respect for rules. e.g. at orkut.com they come and post in portuguese even when the community description says 'language: english'. and when someone says 'you should post in english because this community is in english' they say 'well not everybody in the world speaks english so you should learn portuguese instead'. if I see a community in portuguese I do not post in english, I respect the decision of the community creator that the community language is portuguese. but brazilians...
  5. By sasha. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @08:16am:
    Brazilians eat feijoada, churrasca, fish, empanadas, lovely veggies, and they drink Polar beer and cachaça, which is distilled from sugar cane. cachaça is the primary ingredient in caipirinhas, which pack quite a punch.

Best music is from Salvador de Bahia. I've been to a music festival there a couple of times. Music, food, sunshine, caipirinhas, and beaches. Fantastic.

Never been to Rio itself, just the airport, but Iguazu/Iguaçu/Iguazú (depending on which language you prefer) Falls are enormous, maybe 300 waterfalls over 3 kilometers or so. You can reach them either from Argentina or Brazil, but most people seem to think the Brazilian side is better. I don't care, I think whichever way you see them, they're amazing.
  6. By sasha. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @08:20am:
    Oh, and john beardsworth, you may have given them football, but they've certainly made it their own game. ;-)
  7. By head. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @08:31am:
    is it legal to drink and drive drunk ?
  8. By mrisley. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @09:15am:
    Head, yes it is legal. I lived in Iguazu for 2 years on the Argentine side.

Sasha, in reference to "Which side of the falls is better?" Here in the area, the saying is that if you want to watch the show, you should go to the Brazillian side, if you want to participate in the show, go to the Argentine side.

Craig, you will find that in Latin America, the people are much closer and they think Americans are cold. For example when you meet a someone in Argentina you give a kiss on the cheek. In Iguazu, you give 2 kisses and in the north of Brazil, 3 kisses when you meet.

No one spoke of the Amazon River, piranahs, or anacondas. To have such big powerfull cities like São Paulo and Rio, there are still many small remote indian villages. The Itaipú hydroelectric power plant is the largest development of its kind in operation in the world and is one of the modern wonders of the world.
  9. By Curtis. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @09:16am:
    I hear they've got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil. Cha-cha-cha.
  10. By mrisley. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @09:16am:
    Head, maybe I will clarify what I said. It may not be legal, but they do nothing about it.
  11. By Trev. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @10:39am:
    Having seen "The Boys from Brazil" I can tell you that their dental practices are atrocious, no anaesthetics whatsoever and the dentist I saw spoke like Larry Olivier trying to speak like a Nazi, speaking Portugeuse with an English accent.
  12. By Lonestar. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @10:41am:
    What I like most about Brazil is their use of biofuel.

Wish we would do that.

As oil prices continue to hover near the $70-a-barrel mark, amid fears that the world may soon run out of fossil fuels, carmakers and politicians alike are desperate to come up with alternative ways to power the world's motor vehicles.

Even a man as closely linked with the oil industry as President George W Bush is now spreading the message that one day we may be growing our fuel instead of digging it out of the ground.

"An interesting opportunity, not only for here but for the rest of the world, is biodiesel, a fuel developed from soybeans," he said in June last year.

For the owners of today's polluting gas-guzzlers, it is easy to see this as something for the far-distant future, an irrelevance that will not affect their lives for many years to come.

But in Brazil, it is already a reality.
  13. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @10:45am:
    So, in his daily security briefing, George W. is informed that six Brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq the previous day.

He says "That's tragic" -- how many zeros are there in a brazillion?
  14. By mrisley. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @11:03am:
    We forgot about Carnaval!

0,1020,433885,00.jpg
  15. By Curtis. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @11:27am:
    Neil Young drives a biodiesel Hummer. I'm pretty close to buying a biodiesal Jeep Liberty. The fuel's available here in Minnesota (though not at a 100% formulation yet).
  16. By Pedro Subrosa. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @12:00pm:
    I'm all for going biodiesel, too. Next truck. Brazil is way ahead of us in Canada. Curtis, can't you find a good Toyota or would that be politically incorrect in Minnesota? 505000 km on my 4-Runner and I towed a grader once with my T-100.

t9a152.jpg
  17. By Andie. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @12:24pm:
    My niece's husband was born in Brazil, but he's lived in the USA most of his life. Neither he nor his parents nor his sister ever gave me the impression that they are more affectionate or "warmer" than Americans.
    His mother seems obsessed with retaining a youthful appearance. Based on photos I've seen much like the one above of Carnival my impression is that Brazillian women are obsessed with their appearances in general.

I'm going to google Iguazu Falls. It sounds amazing.
  18. By Pedro Subrosa. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @12:42pm:
    Really interesting tv show the other night--think it was called Black Coffee--about the coffee trade and Brazil in particular. Didn't realize how control of world coffee supply during the Cold War (USA buying Brazilian futures) had been almost as important at the latest nukes. Also talked about how in just 10 years Vietnam has kicked the slats out of the market--at the low grade robusta end--and the dire consequences for Brazil.

Image hosting by TinyPic
  19. By dan. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @01:14pm:
    Brazil, where the nuts come from.
  20. By Mary. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @02:04pm:
    I used to work with a man who had lived in Brazil for over twenty years. He said he left most of himself there and would give anything to go back. He also said the people are the friendliest, warmest, most generous people he'd ever met - even to strangers, and he said living there made him a better person. I don't know if that was the case, but he was certainly a special person; he could always calm the place down when the lid was ready to blow off and he had a way of making everyone feel special; nice guy - his name was John.

I think Carnival in Brazil - or in Venice - would be a blast, and I wish I'd found a way to get there 30 years ago.
  21. By PoohPoohBear. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @02:14pm:
    Lets get one thing straight. Brazilians may have spoken pure Portuguese once but not now. So much so, that there are two versions of Portuguese, Portuguese Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. And since Brazil's population is so much greater, their Portuguese is the dominant version of the language. Brazilians are much livelier, outgoing and carefree than the Portuguese from whom they descended.
  22. By JS Decol. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @02:48pm:
    Brasil is fantastic!Big country,beautiful places and people,easygoing
    way to live,the best football in the world(5 times World Champion),
    beautiful music,beaches,landscape,oil,gold,minerals and the richiest
    forest Amazon.Rio de Janeiro is certanly one of the most beautiful
    cities in the world!Sao Paulo is the third bigger city in the world,
    the most important in Latin America.The people are so friendly and
    welcome that you feel as you're in your hometown.Brasil could be
    in the next years one of the great powerful countries in the planet.
    And last but not least,brazilian women are the most wonderful in
    the Universe!
  23. By meg_mac. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @03:52pm:
    love BasaNova and Samba music... anybody hear of singer Basia? MARY thanks for the recommendation on the book!
  24. By Mary. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @03:59pm:
    Meg-Mac, click on my name and send me your e-mail address, if you would; I'll tell you WHY you must read that book ...
  25. By wally the duck. Comment posted 08-Apr-2006 @04:45pm:
    Ethanol is big in Brazil, too. I think they are the biggest producer and consumer of alcohol fuel in the world. They have now passed the US in soybean production... which gives them the potential in biodiesel fuel, too.
  26. By ~Q~. Comment posted 09-Apr-2006 @09:53am:
    I think most (MOST) Americans know much more about Europe than they do about South America. It's this hemisphere's dark continent!
  27. By wally the duck. Comment posted 09-Apr-2006 @11:16am:
  28. By SuperSean. Comment posted 10-Apr-2006 @09:55am:
    There is no doubt in my mind that the people are warmer here in South America. The food, drinks, women, and beaches of Brasil are all amazing.

John B- You may have introduced Brasil to the game of futbol but it is the brazilians that have perfected it. My team (FC Barcelona) has benfitted greatly from the best players in the world. And since you got lumped into the cruise Group B during the world cup, it will be very likely that you will see them in Stage 2. I'll wager that a head to head would not even be close
  29. By Steve. Comment posted 10-Apr-2006 @12:24pm:
    I lived in Sao Paulo for a couple of years. I visited everything from huge, towering skyscrapers to remote indian villages (only a couple of hours' drive apart). I really liked it there. People are definitely more welcoming than Americans, and the language is really fun to speak - my wife lived in Portugal, and we talk all the time, though we mostly argue about whose version of portuguese is "correct." What a great place. I never grew to really love eating beans and rice every day, but I did love eating at churrascarias, that's for sure. I loved it there.