Friday, 31 July, 2009

I’m Liking Dragnet

I've been watching old Dragnet shows via Netflix Watch Instantly.

In my entire life, I don't think I've watched more than 3-4 of those episodes. But now, I have a new appreciation of that TV show. Joe Friday is my hero, but I also like Bill Gannon. Both carry a badge, and they helped clean up The City -- Los Angeles, California. Yazzir.

I'm still trying to figure out why I pay for cable TV. We never watch it, and for a mere $16/month, we we'll never run out of things to watch from Netflix. But I have to think that Netflix will start charging extra for "Watch Instantly." It's like the early days of eMusic, when they had no download limits. Pamn's been keeping track. Last month, she watched 40+ movies from Netflix. So far, she hasn't been throttled.

Do cable TV providers realize that their biggest competitor is Netflix?

Permalink | Posted in Movies & TV |
  1. By meg_mac. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @07:39pm:
    My husband bought me the tv series 'Adventures in Paradise'. I have been in love with Gardner McKay forever. (he is dead). Mr. Mac loves 'Father Knows Best'.
  2. By J-Walk. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @08:05pm:
    Netflix has lots of old TV available for streaming -- including classic shows like Dick Van Dyke and Leave It To Beaver. All commercial-free, and standard TV quality.
  3. By meg_mac. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @08:18pm:
    We bought each other the boxed set for Christmas. Have not tried Netflix since we are pretty rural. How has your Hulu experience been or have you tried?
  4. By meg_mac. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @08:20pm:
    Morgan Spurlock has a new documentary 'The Entrepreneur'. He is releasing there and not in theatres.
  5. By Curtis. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @08:27pm:
    Do cable TV providers realize that their biggest competitor is Netflix?

Not yet, because what you are doing hasn't been idiot proofed. People don't pay for cable because of content; they pay because it takes no skill to use.

I don't think it will ever dawn on cable companies because young people don't use Netflix OR cable.

Cable will die just a little bit before our generation dies off. All they are needed for is broadband - younger folks will still need that infrastructure for a while.

I love Dragnet. Have you ever watched the film, LA Confidential? Now that you are a Dragnet fan, that film will take on new meaning. Also, if you guys have never read James Ellroy's quartet of LA novels, you are lucky; you have a disturbingly entertaining ride still in store for you.
  6. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @08:45pm:
    I always liked Dragnet. Should be mandatory viewing at all Police Academies...instead of Terminator, or whatever the heck it is they are watching.
  7. By decibelcat. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @09:11pm:
    Just the fax, ma'am.
  8. By Toad. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @09:21pm:
    I get Dragnet on RTV, over the air digital. I, too, have been watching it lately. I love the wooden way Joe and Bill walk out of rooms. It's almost like they are remote controlled.
  9. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @10:21pm:
    I am a huge fan of "Dragnet".

The stories may be "hokey", but they are predictably consistent - a sign of being focused on the vision/mission (even if you don't particularly appreciate it). I am not a cinematographer, but I do know that the camera work and pacing are unique. "Pulp Fiction" certainly contained some homage characteristics.

I am not entirely certain, but I believe that Harry Morgan has appeared in more episodes of more television programs than anyone else.

Oh yeah - I really resent Jack Webb for being married to Julie London and intruding on some of my early adolescence fantasies and wet dreams.
  10. By LLAP-Goch Master. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @10:28pm:

The series, perhaps, but not the movie.

"Wind-up cops" is what my father called them.
  11. By LLAP-Goch Master. Comment posted 31-Jul-2009 @10:50pm:

Shut your mouth, he's the one who convinced her to sing jazz in the first place. Think of how much worse the world would be without that happening; we'd all be listening to Diana Krall or something.
  12. By terri noble. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @01:03am:
    "The story you are about to hear is true..." I've been a Dragnet fan since childhood. Jack Webb was born to play Joe Friday, grim enforcer of justice.

It began on radio in 1949 - it was like no other police show before it. The first TV version started a couple of years later, after the death of Barton Yarbrough, who played Friday's first partner, Ben Romero. (One of the early radio episodes featured Harry Morgan - as a jewel thief!)

When the first TV version ended in 1959, Friday had been promoted to lieutenant. But when the show was revived in 1967, he was busted back to sergeant... I wonder just what he did to merit that demotion.
  13. By sekirt. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @01:48am:
    What a shame that TV shows/movies have to be "discovered" after the actors pass away.

Something I have never personally checked out - maybe a Dragnet fan can verify if this is true?

"Just the facts, ma'am."
    This, the best known quote from the Jack Webb series Dragnet, was never said by Sgt. Friday in any of the Dragnet radio or television series. The quote was, however, adopted in the 1987 Dragnet pseudo-parody film starring Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks in which Aykroyd played Sgt. Joe Friday.
    Correct versions:
    "All we want are the facts, ma'am."
    "All we know are the facts, ma'am."
    Multiple, unspecified episodes
  14. By Damn Yankee. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @04:04am:
    I'm hooked on Netflix. Unless someone can show me a web site with a similar collection and simple interface I'm sticking with it.
    Anyone ever watch the japanese movie CJ7? I got a few chuckles out of it.
  15. By gar. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @04:31am:
    Do cable TV providers realize that their biggest competitor is Netflix? I think the cable companies will start charging an additional fee for streaming content (Netflix movies, television, whatever) into your home. Another option for them would be to block any content other than theirs. If Netflix wanted to use their pipe, they would have to pay the cable company.
  16. By John Wilson. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @06:24am:
    ALthough it's been posted here before I have to include the Jack Webb / Johnny Carson / Copper Claper Caper video here:
    For anyone that hasn't seen it?? Enjoy.
    For anyone who has seen it? Enjoy it again.
  17. By Andy Alexis. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @06:49am:
    There is a good podcast of the radio series:
  18. By fancypants. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @07:04am:
    We bought a Popcorn Hour device that lets us stream our media collection at home. We also bought PlayOn which gives us the ability to watch Hulu, Netlix, YouTube and tons of other channels...not to mention podcasts. Using bit torrent, we can download any show we missed and our DVR hardly is used anymore. Unfortunately, there are some children's channels that our kids love so we can't cut the cable just yet.
  19. By wally the duck. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @08:38am:
    I assume your 'watch instantly' is coming over your cable. I don't know if by 'cable TV' you mean premium channels or just basic, but if you try to cancel you may find out that suddenly your internet access suddenly costs just as much as cable plus internet used to cost... and maybe even more.

If you wanted to cancel cable plus your internet access and just watch Netflix films that you ordered by mail you would save some $$$, but we'd miss your blog.
  20. By Greg. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @08:46am:
    I occasionally hear about cable companies implementing bandwidth caps. That would be a quick way to go after Netflix. We don't have too may high speed internet options where I live, either, so I couldn't easily switch to another company that didn't have the caps. I'd probably quit watching Netflix online altogether just so that I wouldn't accidentally exceed the caps.
  21. By smails. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @08:58am:
    Sony (I believe) will soon roll out TVs with a dedicated Netflix channel.
  22. By mmmark. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @10:24am:
    Until the last system "update" I could watch Hulu through the internet connection on my Playstation 3. Don't know why it got screwed up but I sure wish they'd fix it again.
  23. By Mr.E. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @10:54am:
    I like Netflix, they have made me into a streaming junkie.
  24. By Banjo Brad. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @11:59am:
    I'm watching more streaming Netflix lately. I'm on DSL through my phone company (TV is satellite).
  25. By Kevin. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @01:48pm:
    Wait until you get to the Blue Boy episode. It is probably my favorite moment in television ever.
  26. By Banjo Brad. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @03:38pm:
    I think my favorite Dragnet episode is the one with the drunk trying to get to Pismo Beach for the clam festival.

"Offisher, how do I get to Pishmo beech?"

(They're all stuck in a traffic jam on the highway. Joe and Frank just keep feeding him coffee from their thermos, which he promptly dribbles down his front.)
  27. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @07:03pm:
    Wait until you get to the Blue Boy episode.

That's actually the very first episode from the 1967 series ("The LSD Story"). I've just been skipping around, not watching in order. I will watch that one tonight.

The Pishmo Beach episode is "The Bookie," #13 from 1967. I'll also watch that one tonight.
  28. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Aug-2009 @09:54pm:
    My favorite is the "Ben Roy Yoder killed Mrs. Watanabees daughter, Reko Hashimoto." I haven't seen it in 30 years, but I remember it totally. I think it must have to do with the mind altering substances I was using at the time - of course, I didn't do all that well on the exam I took the next morning.
  29. By dgblm. Comment posted 03-Aug-2009 @05:27am:
    Jack Webb also did a great job narrating "Pete Kelly's Blues". Here's a link to the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Kellys-Blues-1955-Film/dp/B00000G4U0/ref=sr_1_2/187-4656491-9138505?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249302162&sr=1-2
  30. By Geeza. Comment posted 03-Aug-2009 @11:45am:
    Sounds like a great idea.

Lucky Americans! I don't think we are ever going to get it legitmately in the UK.

There again, we have universal healthcare, very few weapons and many more holidays.

I will console myself in that.

Probably, the TV is a better deal.
  31. By rob sama. Comment posted 03-Aug-2009 @01:11pm:
    I canceled my cable TV, now I just watch broadcast and hulu and occasional rentals from iTunes.