Wednesday, 31 October, 2007

Grilled Cheese And Bacon Sammich

Josh Ozersky writes: Grilled Cheese and Bacon and Me. If you thought making such a sandwich would be a simple matter, think again.

In its platonic form, it is surely the most perfect sandwich ever created. Three separate fats -- margarine, milkfat, and savory bacon lard - conjoin to create a prismatic aurora of pure satisfiability.

Then there is the contrast between the smoky, salty sweetness of the bacon with the muted sharpness of the cheese.

Finally, there is the exquisite opposition between the rugged crunch of bacon, and the viscous oneness of the cheese in which it is suspended - to say nothing of the contrast of both with carefully browned bread.

Permalink | Posted in Bacon |
  1. By reddog. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @10:48am:
    Don't use margarine, it's a hydrogenated transfat and not good for you. You can use butter to fry it up with, if you want. I recommend baconfat, it's a wholesome natural byproduct of the sandwich making process.

Eat Healthy!
  2. By MrFred. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @11:08am:
    Butter all the way, why ruin an awesome sandwich? I want one!!!!
  3. By jack williamson. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @11:16am:
    tried one 2 weeks ago w/ gruyere. uh ma gawd was it good.
  4. By another larry. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @12:08pm:
    I like the butcher bacon with Mozzarella and Provolone or Gouda or Extra Sharp Cheddar on a Dutch crust or jewish rye and always use Challenge butter

Sometimes add a fried egg

My mom likes to add grilled red onions
    My nephew like grilled blue cheese with sardine sandwichs
  5. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @12:12pm:
    Does anyone make a grilled chees with a waffle iron? I wonder if that woiks?
  6. By Snag. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @01:16pm:
    The guy has good taste, pun intended.
  7. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @01:22pm:
    Our son makes them with his George Foreman grill.
  8. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @02:02pm:
    I'm gona try it with the waffle iron and pretend its a high Euro Panini maker.
    American Cheese and Applewood bacon from Whole foods with some
    Guglhupf bread...edges trimmed
    might be good
  9. By Chris J.. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @02:35pm:
    My nephew like grilled blue cheese with sardine sandwichs
    And yet, no one in the A.L. clan can figure why the nephew is single.
    With that kind of eatin', his breath must put the pew in nephew.
  10. By another larry. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @02:41pm:
    And yet, no one in the A.L. clan can figure why the nephew is single.
    Not sure what clan or state you're in Chris J., but here in California we don't marry them off when they're only 14.

PS: that's a.l.
  11. By MrFred. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @04:04pm:
    I made 'em with a regular clothing iron in my college years. I had no other use for an iron in college :)
  12. By m.c.. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @04:12pm:
    I use an electric tosti-maker, costs about 10 euro.
    67s4aax.jpg
  13. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 31-Oct-2007 @04:25pm:
    That thing is sharp m.c. and the price is right