Monday, 01 September, 2008

Grammar Police Raid Tesco

UK supermarket news: Tesco checks out wording change.

Tesco is to change the wording of signs on its fast-track checkouts to avoid any linguistic dispute.

The supermarket giant is to replace its current "10 items or less" notices with signs saying "Up to 10 items". Tesco's move follows uncertainty over whether the current notices should use "fewer" instead of "less".

The new wording was suggested to Tesco by language watchdog The Plain English Campaign. Tesco said the change would be phased in across its stores.

Apparently, Tesco uses the slogan, "every little helps."

(via The Hodge Blog)

1. By Rob. Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @08:39am:
    Great. Can they now kill the person who invented the non-word 'instore'?
  2. By Dave (TDC). Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @08:50am:

There is no uncertainty at all, "fewer" is correct, but Tesco initially got it wrong so they pretend there was some question.

Personally I would use something like "No more that 10 items per customer" to stop the idiots who think if they have 2 baskets with up to 10 items per basket they are OK to use these lanes.
  3. By KeithUK. Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @08:52am:
    Tesco is evil. That is all.
  4. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @10:22am:
    When a customer enters a store, they should be required to read the store's terms of use, and sign it (notarized, of course).

That way, everyone would understand how the checkout process works, and everything would just run much more smoothly.
  5. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @03:07pm:
    Every grocery should be required to have no fewer than ten check-out lines open at any given time.
  6. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @03:42pm:

Tell that to the meatheads that run Walmart
  7. By deaudonnee. Comment posted 01-Sep-2008 @10:15pm:
    Boy, I remember my confusion when shopping for groceries for the first time in England! I had no idea you had to bag your own but once I leared that, then we quickly figured out why we had so many "carry bags" in the pantry of our rented house. After that I always made sure that I and/or the kids all had bags with them when we left the house. Also, some stores would charge you 2p for a plastic bag if you had not remembered to bring your own. Tesco was my 2nd favorite store but Sainsbury's was the first, and I had just as much fun in the smaller greengrocer's stores and the butcher shops as I did any place else. A lovely experience all the way round.
  8. By John Kinsella. Comment posted 02-Sep-2008 @05:50am:
    Tescos slogan 'Every Little Helps' with the removal of the first and last letter, can more correctly be termed 'very little help' in my experience!!