Thursday, 26 February, 2009

Fun With Magnets

This looks like fun: NeoCube.

My latest cool toy is the NeoCube, a 6x6x6 cube of 216 small neodymium-iron-boron magnetic spheres which can be arranged into an amazing assortment of geometrical and non-geometrical shapes. You can create various polyhedra, even Buckyballs, and all kinds of familiar shapes, too. It's basically a 3D tangram on steroids. As fascinating as it is addictive.

$30.

(Thanks Curtis)

Permalink | Posted in Products |
  1. By Curtis. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @09:30am:
    Aren't the sounds oddly satisfying?

One should note that these are dangerous for kids - small high power magnets, if swallowed, can be fatal.
  2. By NoAlias. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @09:58am:
    A fidgeter's dream come true! I need this!!!
  3. By J-Walk. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @10:21am:
    Couldn't resist. I ordered one. I promise I won't swallow it, daddy.
  4. By Curtis. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @10:55am:
    I promise I won't swallow it, daddy.

Dude, I'm not kidding. These toys tend to lose parts very easily and adhere to metals that are at little kid levels. It's next to impossible to find the lost bearings so they stay put until a toddler spies them and puts them in their mouth.

They're not a choking hazard, but just a couple in an intestine can cause a perforation that is quite dangerous. I'm just saying - if you got small children coming around, make sure you FIND the magnet.
  5. By Mike. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @10:55am:
    I have a lot of electronics in my house. I'd be worried this thing would somehow end up next to one and screw it up.

Then there's the matter of my one cat who's an absolute psycho when it comes to her toys. I definitely see this thing becoming a toy which would then be followed by me searching the house to find out which furniture she managed to get it stuck under.

But I must admit, I really do want one of them. I love playing with magnets. Also, I agree with Curtis, the sound of them clacking together sounds wonderful. It reminds me of bubblewrap.
  6. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @11:05am:
    The small magnets have killed at least one child and injured 85 or so others. If you don't see the kid swallow it, it may take too long to figure out that their "gut ache" is something deadly.

Not good for credit cards either.
  7. By Doug Nelson. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @12:10pm:
    Looks like minutes of fun, until you put it in your pocket next to your iPhone.
  8. By wombat. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @12:24pm:

Curtis is right about this. One is as harmless as a ball bearing but two can lead to very serious complications when swallowed.
  9. By wally the duck. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @12:31pm:
    The Post Office doesn't much like small packages containing high-strength magnets going through the sorting machines, either.
  10. By wickershaw. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @12:40pm:
  11. By adamisawesome. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @01:09pm:
    I've had a NeoCube for about six months, I really like it, but I became concerned about the danger it can pose to small children once my niece started walking. I keep it on the top self of a cabinet, away from adorable babies and electronics.

I really think that the things you don't know are dangerous pose the real threat. It's the plastic bag that slips out of the door holder or the bottle of honey left on the counter that you have to always remind yourself of.
  12. By Jonco. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @01:49pm:
    I just ordered one too. Not sure why, but I did.
  13. By Jasper Flint. Comment posted 26-Feb-2009 @02:08pm:

You may enjoy this graph of danger as a function of knowledge.