Friday, 01 December, 2006

Friday Open Mic

It's been so long, I almost forgot.

Permalink | Posted in Open Mic |
  1. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:03pm:
    Has anyone been having a problem posting comments today? I have.
  2. By stephanie. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:09pm:
    testing-
  3. By Jackson. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:09pm:
    No problems posting.
  4. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:13pm:
    Hello world
  5. By Jackson. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:20pm:
    This ancient device has, until recently, stumped archeologists:

48zpj52.jpg

Called the Antikythera Mechanism, it was discovered 100 years ago in a Roman shipwreck. New imaging techniques have revealed it to be "technically more complex than any known device for at least a millennium afterwards."

It pre-dates 2 of the 3 major religions in the world.

6. By Jackson. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:32pm:
    ...but in case that's too serious a subject...

This item is on every man's Christmas gift wish-list:

4fym8td.jpg
  7. By Dick. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @03:40pm:
    Is anyone using Google Reader? I'm checking it out this weekend.
  8. By L.. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:10pm:
    I tried Google reader a while back and didn't like it. Currently I am running gregarius on my machine for my feed service
  9. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:11pm:
    I've been trying out Google Reader for the past week, Dick. I like it. I may switch from the Sage extension for Firefox.
  10. By Rance. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:29pm:
    Testing 123!

Anchorage...1917

1922anchoragevn9.jpg

1917anchorage3on8.jpg

:-)
  11. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:32pm:
    So, if by some wild stretch of the imagination I were to contemplate the acquisition of a ukulele, what are your recommendations? Soprano? Longneck Soprano? Concert? Tenor? Baritone? Lunchbox? 4-string? 6-string? 8-string? Brand preferences? With or without the crank?

What I find most disturbing is that you haven't had a banjo post since November 11th - are you feeling alright, sir?
  12. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:47pm:
    12, you should come over and try my new uke. See if the fingerboard is too cramped for you. Personally, I like the sound of the sopranos, but lots of people play the concert size. Based on my extremely limited experience, there's a big difference between a $80 uke and a $200 uke.

I'm going to be headed to the Folk Shop tomorrow morning to see if they have uke Nylgut strings. Plus, there's supposed to be an informal clawhammer banjo get-together at around 11:30. Stop by if you can. They probably have a few ukes lying around too.
  13. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:55pm:
    My grandmother. An aviatrix pioneer.

nanaplane.jpg
  14. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @04:59pm:
    I wouldn't think a uke fingerboard could be much more cramped than that of a mandolin - or even that Rickenbacker 12, for that matter.

Of course, if they offered a 12-string uke ...
  15. By Trev-o-verT. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @05:10pm:
    I had trouble posting when J returned and I thought it was something weird about the hyphens I included in my name, but apparently not....
    But J, just saw your post of a pic of your flying gran... what an absolutely wonderful bit of family history you have, tell us all more if you know, I am fascinated!
  16. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @05:13pm:
    That's the problem. I don't know ANYTHING about her flying history.
  17. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @05:29pm:
    I do, but I can't tell it to you.
  18. By Norm. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @05:31pm:
    John,
    Have you checked out The Next Train to Baltimore: Melvern Taylor? This site http://katry.blogspot.com/ will let you listen to him and his ukelele. You can also get to Toad from his site.
  19. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @05:31pm:
    Oh, and 12, I would definitely get the uke with the crank. Mine doesn't have one, and I feel like I'm definitely at a disadvantage. I feel like bass players are looking down at me.
  20. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @05:43pm:
    Appreciate that, Toad - I was beginning to think all of you uke experts were snubbing me.

And if you want to get back at those uppity bass players, just tell 'em you detuned one of their strings - they'll never figure out which one, and end up sitting in a corner, weeping bitterly.
  21. By Sorry, forgot my name. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @06:00pm:
    Ted Haggard is in Tucson for his restoration. He staying with you, John?

22. By Lasse Taube. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @06:12pm:
  23. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @06:29pm:
    Shhhhhh! We don't talk about Ted. Yeah, he's staying with us, but we call him Ned. As in Flanders. His restoration is going very well. I offered him some crack cocaine, and he only took a few hits -- and said a short prayer before each one. I'm just hoping it goes as well when his male ###### arrives at 7:00.
  24. By wally the duck. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @06:31pm:
    An Amy Johnson/Beryl Markham admirer?
  25. By Tim Spellman. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @06:54pm:
    12-stringer, I had never heard of a 12-string ukulele until this post. Does a tiple count?
  26. By TrevoverT. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @07:02pm:
    Toad's probably mixing her up with Amelia Everhard, the 'Round the World' specialist...
  27. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @07:40pm:
    "...there's a big difference between a $80 uke and a $200 uke."

Substitute "Yugo" for both ukes and you have the same thing.
  28. By Moon. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @07:52pm:
    My grandmother. An aviatrix pioneer.

My grandmother was a cousin to this guy:
    Kunst Hitler.jpg
  29. By Mary. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @08:05pm:
    That's a GREAT photo, John!

It's very possible there's information about her out there someplace; you'd be amazed at what records have been kept all over the world and are now accessible to folks looking for information on their ancestors. Do you know where she lived at the time the photo was taken, and/or the approximate year? If you ever do want to know more about her, I could possibly send you some places to start.

Anyway, it's a wonderful photo; I love the beret.
  30. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @08:16pm:
    That's a disturbing photo, Moon.

It's very possible there's information about that guy out there someplace; you'd be amazed at what records have been kept all over the world and are now accessible to folks looking for information on insane dictators. Do you know where he lived at the time the photo was taken, and/or the approximate year? If you ever do want to know more about him, I could possibly send you some places to start.
  31. By other sally. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @08:19pm:
    Does anyone here want to buy a load of Ukelele Ike 78 records?
  32. By Wendy!. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @08:22pm:
    LOL Toad!
  33. By Andie. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @08:34pm:
    Rance,
    Cool photos.

Jackson,
    I heard a story about that Antikythera Mechanism on NPR, fascinating.
    Your next post is unfortunately not.

Lasse,
    Thanks. That's as close as I'll get to visiting Sweden.
    Over here people think all Swedes are blonde. I know better since my grandmother wasn't nor my aunts.
  34. By Moon. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @09:07pm:
    I was HOPING that someone would know something about that guy.
  35. By Moon. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @09:09pm:
    My grandmother really was a cousin to that guy, though. Most likely, she never met him, though, since they moved to North Dakota in the 1880s.
  36. By RickHap. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @09:31pm:
    Heard about this story on the Farm Report while in Iowa:

Huge Bear Crushed Under Combine

Bear Stuck Under Combine--The Truth

2006_wi_combine_1.jpg

2006_wi_combine_hofer.jpg

bear2-757814.jpg

bear3-707100.jpg
  37. By ibobunot. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:21pm:
    How do you put a twinkle in a guitar player's eye? Shine a flashlight in his ear!
  38. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:35pm:
    You play the bass, ibobunot?
  39. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:40pm:
    I think he's one of those guys who hang out with musicians - I think they call them "drummers"...
  40. By Rance. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:49pm:
    Gosh J-Walk...your grannie was a pilot! Mine just milked cows and made babies. And this old oldsmobile is about the only thing the grandparents hand started, picture taken before they were even married and had kids:
    joehelenpederson9yc.jpg

They were so poor (not stupid) that my Dad used to ride a pig to get around:
    orvisonpig0ky.jpg
  41. By Toad. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @10:59pm:
    That's a nice-lookin' Harley your dad is riding, Rance.
  42. By Rance. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @11:33pm:
    It truly is a hog! But I really want one of those hat's. It's got Elmer Fudd written all over it.
  43. By Bobby. Comment posted 01-Dec-2006 @11:36pm:
    Here's my cousin - Kitirik. Any of you who were kids in Texas in the late 50s/early 60s may remember watching her.

44. By Snag. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @05:19am:
    Hey Rance & J-Walk, I really love those old photos. I have a 'project' going to collect old pics associated with my folks and their towns at the moment.

I am related to NZ aviatrix Jean Batten and agree with Mary that J-Walk should spend a little time to follow up his ancestral links. It's relatively easy these days, and its one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do (just don't push it to those who aren't interested).

Toad, you're on a roll, mate ... the break hasn't dulled your wit !

Lasse Taube .. an interesting vignette .. these are obviously happy family members in Gothenburg locations ? I like the music.
  45. By Dick. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @08:21am:
    Thanks L and Toad. Here's what J-Walk looks like in the Google reader:

jwalkreader.gif
  46. By Curtis. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @10:06am:
    Here's my old Uncle Joe. He was quite a rascal.

unclejoejx6.jpg
  47. By Rance. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @10:33am:
    Anchorage...1908...getting ready to become the railroad town it was started for...
    anchorage1908jk6.jpg
  48. By Tom McMahon. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @01:24pm:
    Belated congratulations for going over 1500 days of blogging, J-Walk!
  49. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @03:02pm:
    1,500 days! I didn't even notice. I also didn't notice my 4-year blogging anniversary on 15-Oct. I should start paying more attention to this important days.
  50. By Moon. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @04:11pm:
    Curtis, my guess is that your uncle's not too much of a rascal. He moves kinda slow.
  51. By Moon. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @04:13pm:
    Kid in Chicago in 1945: "Dad, the Cubs are in the World Series. Will you take me?"
    Dad: "You are too young. I'll take you next time."

Hahahahahaha!
  52. By Graeme. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @06:47pm:
    sadaam_makes_getaway_645.gif
  53. By TrevoverT. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @07:32pm:
    Toad, I looked him in the photo up (nice costume by the way)and besides writing a book when he was in prison for stealing paint from his employer his only other claim to fame was that with only one ball he almost ruled the world... Just think what he would have done with two!
  54. By Rance. Comment posted 02-Dec-2006 @07:36pm: