Wednesday, 02 November, 2005

Cooking A Porcupine

So I've got this nice fresh porcupine, and I'm trying to find a way to cook it for dinner...

This looks promising: Porcupine Meatballs Recipe. But get this: it doesn't even use porcupine meat!

How about Date Porcupine Cookies? No porcupine.

OK, let's try Porcupine Peppers. No porcupine.

One last try: Apple Porcupine. You guessed it. No porcupine!

Now what am I going to do with this little fellow?

Permalink | Posted in Food & Drink |
  1. By Oliver. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @04:30pm:
    I dunno, if you ever smelled a real porcupine, I'm not sure if you'd be too quick to pull out the crockpot...
  2. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @04:41pm:
    Hmmm... Toad is the one who recommended porcupine. He said it tasted like bacon.
  3. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @04:46pm:
    They only taste like bacon if you use the correct amount of formaldehyde.

Pudding-Frosted Porcupine? Nope.

Wait - October 21, didn't you do a thing on making quill pens? Oh, wrong kind of quill...

Actually, I found recipes for Marinated Porcupine Chops (but that requires 6 chops), and Barbecued Porcupine (1/2 porcupine for each guest serving, but there was a really annoying background sound file), so I guess you'll either have to keep looking, munch him raw, or keep him as a pet.
  4. By Larz. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @04:50pm:
    Fill it up with cement & place it outside your door. Then use it to scrape the mud off your shoes. Does Tucson have any mud?
  5. By Gee.... Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @04:50pm:
    Pine Martens are the only animal that can successfully kill and eat a porcupine.
  6. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @04:57pm:
    Is that true about pine martens? If so, the porcupine occupies a pretty interesting niche. How many other animals have only a single predator? Maybe it's common.

BTW, I assumed a pine marten was a bird, until I googled it. Not even close to a bird. It may even be endangered.
  7. By boswell. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @05:00pm:
    Sweet and sour porcupine? Pulled porcupine?
  8. By wok. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @05:00pm:
    Porcupines are just for toothpicks, everybody knows that.
  9. By Maven. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @05:05pm:
    Ok, back when I was in High School, and we lived in the North Country, my dad shot and killed a porcupine one day.

My dad was the "whatever you kill you eat- don't waste" kind of guy, so my he (very carefully) skinned the porcupine and my mom cooked it for supper. While I don't recall exactly how she prepared it, I can tell you that it tasted very STRONGLY of pine bark. Not pleasant at all.

I've had lots of wild game, courtesy of my father, but porcupine was one of the least pleasant.
  10. By Gee.... Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @05:18pm:
    Yep, John, that's true about Pine Martens.
    If they find a porcupine in a tree, they'll climb another tree nearby and jump to the 'pine's tree, only above it. A porcupine goes up a tree face first and down butt first...they can't go down a tree face first.
    The marten will literally worry it to death.
    It's not pleasant...they bite at it's face and just tear it up.
    The 'pine gets tired, falls out of the tree and the marten keeps at him 'til he's dead.
    Nature is so kind, huh?
  11. By Frank Skee. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @05:46pm:
    I thought everyone knew how to cook porcupine!
    A vinegar and water soak is the standard treatment for 'taming' almost any critter.But breaking the McNuggets monotony is part of the reason to eat the other animals in the first place!
    The following sites can get the ball rolling:

12. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @05:50pm:
    Making porcupine stew as we speak. Thank you Frank Skee.
  13. By Oliver. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:05pm:
    At the risk of sounding like that know-it-all fellow from Cheers, fishers are actually porcupine eaters, not pine martens (which tend to go more for squirrels). Fishers are a more robust animal than a marten, imagine a marten the size of a groundhog.

I've followed fisher tracks through the snow (interesting endeavour, you take a much different path through the forest than you would have taken left to your own devices) and several times come across porcupines that the fisher had caught, killed and turned inside out on themselves to eat.
  14. By Danny Kaye. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:18pm:
    I have no trouble believing that Oliver. Fishers are some pretty fierce critters! I tend not to follow them if I come across one's path.
  15. By Danny Kaye. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:22pm:
    Why do I have the feeling we are in for a "Don't eat that, Dave" type of posting tomorrow? We want details! As a former chef, and being on the top of the food chain, I have never been afraid to try anything that smelled good. But I have never smelled porcupine before.
  16. By Paige. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:26pm:
    I believe Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies cooked porcupine once or twicet. You might want to send her an e-mail and ask for a porcupine recipe!
  17. By Jilly. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:30pm:
    awww...porcupines are pretty cute!
  18. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:37pm:
    Great idea, Paige. Come to think of it, Granny did have a way with porcupines. I just sent an email to . I sent my regards to Jed.
  19. By Frank. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:50pm:
    Hmmmmmmmm Porcupine. Not for picky eaters.
  20. By Gee.... Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @06:51pm:
    Oh, dang, Oliver!
    You're right...I got my weasels mixed up and now feel like an idiot.
    Oops.
  21. By Oliver. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @07:13pm:
    No worries, Gee. I mix up my weasels on a daily basis. Boy are they getting sick of it.
  22. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @07:26pm:
    Yeah, I've mixed up my share of weasels too.
  23. By Gee.... Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @07:53pm:
    LOL!
    Do they knock you out of your tree and bite your face?
  24. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @08:00pm:
    I'm to the point where I don't even mess with anything that might be weasel, or has ever possibly encountered an animal that might be related to a weasel. And I truly believe that weasels should never be allow to marry. I'm firm on that. I'm also agreeable to weasel abortion and/or birth control.
  25. By Sally Cruikshank. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @08:13pm:
  26. By Curtis. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @08:52pm:
    "Joy of Cooking has a recipe for porcupine, as well as raccoon, squirrel and opossum."

Sally C - I am shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that you of all people would refer to an opossum recipie! Wasn't your cartoon character, the lovely Miss Anita, an opossum?

BTW, if Hollywood ever makes a live action version of Quasi at the Quackadero, I suggest Juliette Lewis in the Anita role.

juliette5.jpg
  27. By Jim. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @09:19pm:
    One of my cats is named Porcupine. When she was a kitten, the hair on her head stuck straight up in the air...
  28. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 02-Nov-2005 @09:48pm:
    Frank Zappa tried to warn us about them weasels years ago...

fan6ah.jpg
  29. By dave. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @12:35am:
    I have no recipe for porcupine but it's nice to know they come with their own toothpicks.
  30. By Danny Kaye. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @06:14am:
    ok...it's morning where I am. What about it Jwalk? flavor? texture? gamey-ness? leftovers?
    We're waiting...
  31. By Beans. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @07:01am:
    J-Walk,

You're not serious - a Porcupine? Come on...
  32. By robin. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @07:31am:
    what to do with him...

maybe stuff him and make a nice cuddly throw pillow. For your mother in law. Or my mother in law, better.
  33. By Peter Bradshaw. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @10:19am:
    I quote from Horace Kephart's "Camping & Woodcraft", a 1917 book which has given a lifetimes enjoyment. "Shoot him humanely in the head and dress him. Take him to camp and roast or broil it oa rich brown over glowing coals. He will need no pork to make him juicy and you will find him like spring lamb, only better. " The liver done with bacon is also highly recommended. Frogs legs are also mentioned but not toad!
  34. By another larry. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @10:38am:
    I'm adding marten and fisher to the list of things not to put down my pants.

Note: porcupine tastes like woodpecker, pine bark.
  35. By Beans. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @10:39am:
    This sounds a bit too backwoodyish to me.

- Porcupines
    - opossums
    - squirrels
    - weasels
    - raccoons

I can hear the banjos now.
  36. By OIiver. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @12:45pm:
    Squirrels, by all accounts, are very tasty. Most people who've eaten squirrel barbeque rave about it. I am not one of those people (who have eaten squirrel, that is).
  37. By another larry. Comment posted 03-Nov-2005 @02:23pm: