Monday, 01 January, 2007

Coffins In Iraq

Muhammad Abdel Kader writes: "I never made so many coffins a day".

I have been making coffins since I was 24 to help with the family income. I work non-stop, 12 hours a day, six days a week. I have never made so many coffins a day in my life. I have to make as many coffins as I can to meet demand in al-Qarah Cemetery.

Before the war, we were making about two or maximum three coffins a day for people who had died from diseases or car accidents. But today we make at least 20 a day for victims of the violence.

For me, this is good business because the more people I bury the more income I get. I usually get US $10 per burial. But I can't be inhuman and say that I don't care because the suffering of the families sometimes makes me think about changing my profession so that I don't ever have to see such depressing scenes.

1. By another larry. Comment posted 01-Jan-2007 @10:28am:
    A guy at work thats really into investing got stocks in body bags and military bullets before the invasion. I think he's done pretty good, well not as good as cheney's doing but who could?
  2. By pat. Comment posted 01-Jan-2007 @10:52am:
    Thanks for the (sad) story.

Irakis loves their families, mourns their deads,
    have self-doubts...just like me.

War is stupid.
  3. By Fred. Comment posted 01-Jan-2007 @11:06am:
    Wow, this is great news! This is proof that Iraq is becoming more civilized. A few years ago, when Saddam and his cronies were in power, they were burying people in mass graves with out the use of individual coffins. And now they are using coffins all the time just like the rest of the civilized world. That is great.
  4. By Moon. Comment posted 01-Jan-2007 @04:57pm:
    There you go! Capitalism in action! See a need, fill a need! The Iraqis are learning fast. We're really helping the economy over there!

Geez.
  5. By Jssec. Comment posted 01-Jan-2007 @06:33pm:
    Sadam did not use coffins - Just threw them in the dirt pit. Lucky He got one.
  6. By Jerry. Comment posted 01-Jan-2007 @10:09pm:
    Hmmmmm..... 20 a day just in his town vs. our average of 3 a day for the entire country....

I think we win!!!
  7. By wally the duck. Comment posted 02-Jan-2007 @07:29am:
    Outsource to India; that's the way to go.
  8. By Miss Cellania. Comment posted 02-Jan-2007 @09:28am:
    Gotta feel for this guy. He fills a needed niche; a normal human service to help those who have lost a loved one. His prosperity brings guilt along with it through no plan of his own. Too sad.
  9. By Nonchalant Savant. Comment posted 02-Jan-2007 @01:50pm:
    Just goes to show that in ANY economy, there will always be someone who profits.