Monday, 02 April, 2007

Bush Not On The Mound Today

The president usually throws out the first pitch to signal the beginning of the baseball season. But not this year: Balking at the First Pitch.

President Bush kept up the tradition in 2005, celebrating baseball's return to the nation's capital after a 33-season absence. But he missed last year's home opener -- and he'll miss today's, too, when the Nationals host the Florida Marlins at 1:05 p.m. Except for when the world was at war, only two other presidents, Woodrow Wilson and Richard M. Nixon, missed Opening Day ceremonies two years in a row. And Wilson had suffered a stroke...

Bush spokeswoman Emily Lawrimore was asked whether the president feared he'd get booed. "No," she replied. "Certainly not."

She said the president, an avid baseball fan and former part owner of the Texas Rangers, would love to be there. But "it's not possible with his schedule. He's got various meetings during the day, a meeting earlier in the morning. . . . It just wasn't going to work out."

But, notice that he did have time to issue a new executive order: Renaming a National Forest in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 1 of the Act of June 4, 1897 (16 U.S.C. 473) and section 1 of the Act of July 1, 1902 (48 U.S.C. 746), and to rename the Caribbean National Forest in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. The Caribbean National Forest in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is hereby renamed the "El Yunque National Forest."

Permalink | Posted in Sports |
  1. By Sheldon. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @08:53am:
    I think the main issue is that it would be a security problem. It would just not be safe for him to be out in the general public like that.
  2. By another larry. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @08:54am:
    Maybe he (bush) has run out of balls.
  3. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @08:56am:
    I've always found the "booo" phenomena pretty undemocratic. You could have a President with 98% approval, but if 50 loud jerks out of a stadium of 50,000 really make their presence known, the lazy press will make a big deal about the "President got booed" today.

Gawd I hate it when I start out Monday semi defending George W. Bush...

:-)
  4. By Jason. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @10:48am:
    "Except for when the world was at war..."

The world is at war. Denial does not change that fact.
  5. By Vader. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @11:17am:
    Hmmm, John responded to someone regarding the attendance of President Bush at the Broadcaster's Dinner,
    "I suspect you're one of those people who think Bush can do no wrong."
    So now he doesn't show up to participate at a sporting event and John critizes him for not showing up. If he had have shown up, I suspect John would have critized him for showing up at the game when the soldiers are dying. "I suspect you're one of those people who think Bush can do no RIGHT".
  6. By J-Walk. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @12:32pm:
    Actually, Fundy-to-the-Core (I mean Vader), I'm not criticizing him for not throwing out the first pitch. I'm just reporting the news. I'm glad he's not making an appearance. The less I see of him, the better.
  7. By Peter. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @12:40pm:
    After waiting in line for 2 hours last year for security, I and many others booed him at the Reds opener last year. I kept hoping a homerun ball would hit the snipers in the outfield, since they weren't paying attention to the game.

He left around the 5th inning... I guess he had some brush to clear that afternoon.
  8. By another larry. Comment posted 02-Apr-2007 @02:01pm:
    Hey J-Walk, are there a lot of these one commenters that use a number of "name"s to comment?