Wednesday, 18 March, 2009
Birth Certificate Legislation
The issue that won't die: Republican wants WH candidates to prove citizenship.
Rep. Bill Posey, R-Florida, introduced legislation this week requiring candidates to produce a birth certificate to be eligible to run in future presidential elections, triggering a sharp reaction from Democrats who accused him of "questioning President Obama's citizenship."
Posey submitted a bill with no fanfare Thursday that instructs the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to be amended to add the birth certificate requirement. The Constitution requires that a president or a vice president be "a natural born citizen."
Posey spokesman George Cecala emphasized several times to CNN that the congressman was "not trying to fan the flames" of the Obama citizenship dust-up nor was he "trying to jab someone in the eye." Instead, Posey was "just trying to clarify the law," Cecala said.
The image shows Posey hard at work thinking of ways to clarify laws.
- By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Mar-2009 @07:56am:
- By deaudonnee. Comment posted 18-Mar-2009 @08:19am:
- By clayton. Comment posted 18-Mar-2009 @10:41am:
- By Barbwire. Comment posted 18-Mar-2009 @09:35pm:
- By jer. Comment posted 28-Mar-2009 @10:18pm:
- By vi. Comment posted 29-Mar-2009 @04:35am:
- By Bisbonian. Comment posted 29-Mar-2009 @07:51am: