Wednesday, 24 June, 2009

Best Optical Illusion?

Check it out: The blue and the green.

You see embedded spirals, right, of green, pinkish-orange, and blue? Incredibly, the green and the blue spirals are the same color.

It's true. Each is RGB 0, 255, 150.

1. By Curtis. Comment posted 24-Jun-2009 @06:50pm:
    This blows my effing mind. I'm going to go dance in my go-go cage. Hullabadig Au Go Go.
  2. By wally the duck. Comment posted 24-Jun-2009 @07:22pm:
    Amazing!
    Something like that makes it easier to understand how places like "Argentina" and "Appalachia", while seemingly so different to most of us, are actually pretty much the same thing to others.
  3. By Terry. Comment posted 24-Jun-2009 @07:25pm:
    An unbelievable illusion! Here is the same image, but where I have replaced parts of the magenta and orange spirals with black. This reveals that the "green" and "blue" are, in fact, exactly the same!
    141lgn5.gif
  4. By Carl. Comment posted 24-Jun-2009 @07:33pm:
    Thanks Terry for that clear proof. I had tried cutting thin slits into a paper and held that up. Now I see all these disturbing afterimages where ever I look. Yuck
  5. By wally the duck. Comment posted 24-Jun-2009 @07:36pm:
    Some days are like that, Carl.
  6. By fabrulana. Comment posted 25-Jun-2009 @01:42am:
    Pretty cool - couldn't believe it at first but once I stared at the blue lines i could make out it was actually green.
  7. By wally the duck. Comment posted 25-Jun-2009 @05:33am:
    It illuded me!
  8. By Y Nought. Comment posted 25-Jun-2009 @06:45am:
    The claim is true of the original linked image, which has only 4 colors of pixels (blue-green, pink, orange, and one black spot right in the middle) but the smallified gif file featured in this blog post, optilcolors.gif, has many interpolated pixels, which detracts from the clarity of the claim.
  9. By Shel-tone. Comment posted 25-Jun-2009 @07:18am: