Thursday, 04 August, 2011

Thomas Kinkade Dead?

The news is just starting to emerge. I read it here.

Painter of Light, Thomas Kinkade died today on his private island off the coast of Greenland. Say what you will about how he marketed his oeuvre, he was a true original and a major cultural force around the world. He will be missed. Tommy, we hardly knew ye.

He was a great painter. Nobody will deny that. But I will remember him as a sculptor. When I think of Thomoas Kinkade, I think of Faith Mountain. A monumental work that I owned for a brief period.

Thomas Kinkade, you were a true painter of light.

Permalink | Posted in Visual Arts |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Pianoarthur. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:34pm:
    I doubt this recent news, he is, after all, only 53 years old. His manufacturing subsidiary of the "Painter of Light" The Pacific Metro, LLC, is going through a bankruptcy hearing though... and the Cooley Law Firm is counseling their crreditors.
  2. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:38pm:
    His death could have been from some kind of gum disease. Gingivitis?

I wonder when he last saw a dentist?
  3. By Chris Weagel. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:41pm:
    Timed it to coincide with the end of the J-Walk Blog?

Who or what else will be making their exits as the blog closes?

Will Ken Hamm get eaten by a stegosaurus?
  4. By Patricio. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:48pm:
    I can't stop looking at that sculpture. Compelling for all the wrong reasons. Why did you ever get rid of it?
  5. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:55pm:
    This news is too good to be true.
  6. By christopher. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:55pm:
    Woo Hoo!
  7. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @06:56pm:
    Why did you ever get rid of it?

Because I couldn't stop looking at it. It like totally affected my productivity. I kept wanting to put train tracks around it.
  8. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @07:02pm:
    So, I go over to Wiki, which does not say he's dead yet BTW, and read up on the guy because frankly I didn't know what he looked like. Turns out...he's a jerk. Says so right there on Wikipedia. A rich jerk.
  9. By Patricio. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @07:24pm:
    I wish to congratulate you on your excellent taste in art, Mr. J-Walk.

If Thomas Kinkade rises from the dead 3 days from now, I'm going to buy one too. They're $135 on Amazon.
  10. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @07:28pm:
    I just heard an unofficial announcement that he's officially dead.
  11. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @07:34pm:
    My sources tell me that this is the last photo taken of him while he was still alive.

kinkade.jpg

Lefties who wear fancy watches always die young.
  12. By Patricio. Comment posted 04-Aug-2011 @08:29pm:
    RIP, o Painter of the Light. Looking at that last photo, I'd say that Ricky Gervais should play him in the inevitable biographical movie.
  13. By KeithUK. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @06:16am:
    Still smarting that I didn't win that gorgeous sculpture. It would, no doubt, have changed my life. Not necessarily for the better of course.
  14. By T-bane. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @07:02am:
    Nothing on any of the major news outlets yet. Maybe it was a spiritual death, not a physical one.

If I were to buy my own island, I think I would go for something a bit more tropical.
  15. By victoriapandora. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @07:39am:
    I know someone who works closely with him, I'll ask her.
    That Cooley Law firm are the top firm The corporate Scientology "church" uses to get them out of their ugly legal binds.
  16. By victoriapandora. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @07:44am:
    And that Warner Bro/Time Warner contract went through a year ago, almost to the day... that was worth billions. He's too rich to die.
  17. By wally the duck. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @09:03am:
    Death takes many forms.
  18. By Patricio. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @12:01pm:
    Any new reports? Is he still allegedly dead? I'm this close to pulling the trigger on the Faith Mountain that's for sale on Ebay.
  19. By namowal. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @12:16pm:
    Faith Mountain looks like a Disneyland ride.
  20. By KSue. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @01:15pm:
    He's local to where I live, and not many around here love him or his art... but still, now I'm wondering if he died, it's not in the local news here yet.
  21. By wally the duck. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @01:56pm:
    Even if it is untrue today, KSue, it will be some day. It's just a matter of timing.
  22. By Patricio. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @05:04pm:
    Faith Mountain looks like a Disneyland ride.

Excellent idea. If Thomas Kinkade ever opened a theme park, I would be first in line. Imagine the possibilities...Faith Mountain could be like Matterhorn Bobsleds, except that instead of running away from the Yeti you'd be running away from Satan, and you'd splash down in the baptismal pool at the end.
  23. By karen de la Carriere. Comment posted 05-Aug-2011 @06:54pm:
    This is not factual.
    Thomas Kinkade is alive and well.
    He does own any island off the coast of
    Greenland.

Karendelac
  24. By Patricio. Comment posted 06-Aug-2011 @10:14am:
    He does own any island off the coast of
    Greenland.

Wait...you mean, at any time, he could potentially own any island of the coast of Greenland, or you means he owns all the islands off of Greenland?
  25. By T-bane. Comment posted 06-Aug-2011 @11:50am:
    This is not factual.
    Thomas Kinkade is alive and well.

For some definition of "well."
  26. By victoriapandora. Comment posted 06-Aug-2011 @01:14pm:
    LOL Patricio. I believe that was meant to read he does NOT own any island. Sad, but true.