Tuesday, 01 March, 2011

The Old Button Switcheroo Trick

Shocking news: Facebook Changes Like Button To Share Without Notice & What It Means To You.

On Sunday, Facebook changed its “Like” button on sites across the net to essentially give it the same functionality as its “Share” button. The new Like button no longer opens a new window or offers any way to edit what their posting.

What does this mean? I have no idea. I stopped reading after the first paragraph.

It can't be good, though, and it probably affects 80% of the population.

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By meg_mac. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @09:35am:
    It means that everytime I like a friends post I get a entry in my news feed every time that particular site posts. I had to change my preferences and am constantly deleting odd posts that I care nothing about. I am about done with Facebook. It is fun to see what my friends are doing but not worth all the k-rap that comes with it. ps.. I have 19 friends. Feeble in the Facebook world.
  2. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @09:38am:
    I absolutely can't stand the "Like" in Facebook. With out a "Dislike" "Like" is vapid.
  3. By bundukundu. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @10:23am:

4. By haiku. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @11:36am:
    I did not even noticed that.
    But I more than rarely "like" a post, and tend to comment if it's worth it.
  5. By meg_mac. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @11:55am:
    But I more than rarely "like" a post, and tend to comment if it's worth it.

That's what I will do from now on. DOI!! Thanks haiku.
  6. By banjo brad. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @12:34pm:
    meg-mac - 19!!?? You social butterfly, you.

I have 11; all family except for one pair of old friends from Coalinga and my brother's dog.
  7. By deciBelcat. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @01:28pm:
    I haven't noticed many regular J-Walk commentors hanging out on the J-Walk Blog page on FB.
  8. By haiku. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @04:28pm:
    Meg-mac - U're welcome!

deciBelcat - that's may be because people to go with their real name over in the FB world...
  9. By kashmarek. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @04:55pm:
    FaceBook is run by scumbags.
  10. By Guy. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:29pm:
    It means that it's now easier to tell if you've been Like-jacked.
    Yesterday I noticed that a couple of pages I'd just opened now said I liked them, even though I hadn't pressed the Like button.
    So I got to click the X in the upper-right corner of the shares, delete them and mark them as spam.
  11. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:34pm:
    Guy, I'd guess about 7% of Facebook users understand what you just described. The others just continue to do their thing, having no idea what's going on behind the Facebook scenes. And that's how they WANT it to be.
  12. By deciBelcat. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @06:11pm:

I know the real names of some of the regulars here. A few of them are already my FB friends.
  13. By Evil Klown. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @07:14am:
    bundukundu: Can j-walk please proof read to insure grammer in what their posting on the blog.

"Proofread" is one word.
    You're looking for "ensure" not "insure."
    "Grammar" is misspelled.