Tuesday, 04 October, 2011

The End Of The Simpsons?

TV news: Money Dispute May Shut Down Fox TV’s Long-Running Hit.

voices It looks like The Simpsons -- 20th Century Fox Television’s multibillion-dollar cash cow, the anchor of the Fox network’s Sunday prime-time schedule, and the longest-running sitcom in the history of broadcasting -- might stop production after the current 23rd season ends next spring.

The reason is a negotiating impasse between the studio and the six principal actors who voice the beloved characters on the animated series that hilariously satirizes middle-class Midwestern angst.

The voice actors currently get $8 million each for 22 weeks of work.  They are not willing to work for $4 million.

I haven't watched it in about five years. It used to be great, but I assume it's jumped the shark by now

Permalink | Posted in Movies & TV |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @12:27pm:
    Fox wants to cut their pay in half? No matter the amount, cutting it in half is a bit of a slap in the face.
  2. By wok. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @12:41pm:
    Buncha successful, wealthy white people! They should pay a higher percentage of taxes than I do!
  3. By Joe. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @12:49pm:
    Fox spurned the actors’ proposal—delivered late last week—to take around a 30 percent pay cut in exchange for a tiny percentage of the show’s huge back-end profits—amounting to untold billions

Yeah, It won't be cancelled.
  4. By wormpicker. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @01:20pm:
    No matter the amount, cutting it in half is a bit of a slap in the face.

If anyone would like to slap me in the face thusly, please contact me!

By the way, in addition to having never eaten a Big Mac or Whopper, I have never seen The Simpsons.
  5. By smittypap. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @01:23pm:
    I love it when skadillionaires fight over their piles of money.
  6. By mrclam. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @01:30pm:
    If cancelling The Simpsons meant more of Harry S. and "Le Show", I'd be happy.
  7. By smittypap. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @01:45pm:
    I used to love "le Show" until it became a weekly two-topic rant-a-thon -- nuclear power plants and the Army Corps of Engineers.
  8. By Ense. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @01:52pm:
    The Simpsons has been irrelevant for ten years, and I say this as a huge former fan. It should have dies with the decade that created it.
  9. By bdgbill. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @02:02pm:
    I think The Simpsons still has it's moments. The Fox News helicopter labeled "Not Racist but Number 1 With Racists" was hilarious.

Btw - The woman who voices Bart is a hardcore Scientologist who once gave an entire years salary to the church.
  10. By Chris J.. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @02:18pm:
    What the?? Jumped the shark?

The phrase jump the shark comes from a scene in the fifth season premiere episode of the American TV series Happy Days titled "Hollywood: Part 3," written by Fred Fox, Jr.[4], and aired on September 20, 1977. In the episode, the central characters visit Los Angeles, where a water-skiing Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swimming trunks and his leather jacket, jumps over a confined shark, answering a challenge to demonstrate his bravery. The series continued for nearly seven years after that, with a number of changes in cast and situations.
  11. By Doug. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @02:31pm:
    It hasn't nuked the fridge and still has some life in it.

Maybe it will resurface on G+. Seems to be a trend.
  12. By wok. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @03:28pm:
    Where nothing can possi-bly go wrong.
  13. By J-W #656. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @05:58pm:
    How can anyone justify making $4 million or $8 million per year in "show business"? How talented do they think they are?

By this time it seems like it would be like monopoly money. Get a grip, people.

The country is in a friggin recession.
    Many people can't afford to feed their families.

How many hot tubs do these people need?
  14. By Meat Loaf. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:01pm:

I'm impressed.

I can only claim 2 out of 3.
  15. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:15pm:

Curtis will disagree, but I agree. Especially for a voice actor. They could easily find people who imitate those voices for $250,000. But there's probably some contract stipulation that prohibits imitating their voices.
  16. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:27pm:
    After more thinking: Firing those $8 million voices and hiring $250,000 voices would be a genius move. It would improve ratings, and everyone would be talking about how the new voices suck (or they can't tell the difference).

I should be in marketing.
  17. By J-W #656. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:28pm:
    Anyone who has never eaten a Big Mac or Whopper, my condolences.

Of course neither is nearly as good now as they were 10 years ago, so you totally missed the boat.

Are you one of those people eating the food that my food eats?

Eat a great steak on the grill. It WILL cheer you up.
  18. By J-W #656. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:31pm:
    Yes you should John !

Please tell me you're joking about quitting your blog !
  19. By Doug. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:43pm:
    Like football owners vs players - the actors/writers/directors/distributors/owners are just fighting over their slice of the pie. Slashing actor's salaries won't reduce the price of the pie - just redistribute the profits.
  20. By gdm IV. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:44pm:

Yeah, but you can say that about anything -- money is relative. I'm sure those actors didn't earn much to begin with. Their pay kept going up with the outrageous financial success of the show (rightfully so, IMHO).

Suddenly their employer wants to give them a 45% pay cut. I'd fight it, too.
  21. By J-Walk. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @06:53pm:

That's not the Republican viewpoint, is it Republicans?
  22. By wormpicker. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @09:23pm:
    Are you one of those people eating the food that my food eats?

Heavens, no! I love a nice steak off the grill. Well done, please.
  23. By Ense. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @11:17pm:
    Has anyone really watched The Simpsons past 2000?

This show used to embiggen our souls with its cromulent satire.

Notice the two Simpsons terms I used both appeared before 1996?

The Simpsons are dead. Let them die in peace
  24. By smittypap. Comment posted 04-Oct-2011 @11:30pm:
    Has anyone really watched The Simpsons past 2000?

Sure! I really like Bender the robot.
  25. By beegee. Comment posted 05-Oct-2011 @06:19am:
    Midwestern angst? Aren't there episodes involving the ocean? What about that peg-legged guy? Yup the show is hit and miss but I'd still rather see the 8 million go to one of the voices than almost anybody else in show business or sports.