Friday, 29 October, 2010

Rounding Change

The ongoing fight against pennies: A Lone Dunkin' Donuts Sort Of Abolishes Pennies.

pennies

Let's hope they programmed their cash registers. You simply can't count on minimum wage humans to do this type of calculation in their head.

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Phos..... Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @08:02am:
    I agree with your last statement. It'd be a pretty trivial matter to change prices to eliminate the need for penny-change. Some would go up a little, some would go down, and there'd have to be several different price schedules to allow for different state tax rates. But really, matehematically & programmatically speaking, what's the big deal?
  2. By mostness. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @08:46am:
    The PX and other stores on US military bases overseas round to the nearest nickels so they don't have to transport pennies. It works just fine.
  3. By T-Dog. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @09:07am:
    Not only can you NOT count on the human to be able to do it, but I am sure they will make sure the prices are adjusted so the rounding is in their favor.
  4. By J-Walk. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @09:18am:

How could they do that?
  5. By Derek. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @09:29am:
    "I am sure they will make sure the prices are adjusted so the rounding is in their favor."

That is the typical baseless reaction that prevents so many improvements to our society from ever being implemented. Fear of change, fear of being taken advantage of, fear of the unknown.
  6. By Jimtown. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @10:40am:
    They are just going use the pennies to pay the employees.
  7. By mmmark. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @11:14am:
    Fear of change, fear of being taken advantage of, fear of the unknown.

Derek, it's not fear of change, it's fear of not getting change. Cha-ching!

I guess now they can post their price as 23 cents per donut, but really charge a quarter?

Why not just price their donuts so that no change is due? I don't understand why places don't post the full price including tax. Instead of $1.90 plus 5% tax, just make a dozen donuts $2.00 and don't add tax. Today's computerized cash registers can easily figure the tax receipts due at the end of each working day.
  8. By Doug. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @11:51am:
    I understand them not wanting to handle pennies - but then just out leave a "Need a penny, Take a penny" tray.
  9. By Rix. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @11:52am:
    The owner should just round all the change up to the nearest nickel. The time savings along would make up for the extra couple cents. Plus think of the goodwill generated. If you always give the customer more than they ask for, you will get more customers.
  10. By gdm IV. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @12:04pm:
    Whenever I get pennies as change, I throw them in the nearest trash can. All other change is kept in the car for parking meters and emergency beers.
  11. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @12:50pm:
    If you had enough pennies, you could get more emergency beers. Just sayin'.
  12. By Daniel FR, Germany. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @01:29pm:
    mmmark, in which country do you live? Where are consumer prices posted excluding tax? In the US?
  13. By Evil KLown. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @01:30pm:
    I did this for all the prices at a golf course one time from the green fee to hot dogs. The customers LOVED it. We heard positive comments daily. "This is great ... why doesn't everyone do this?"

The mucky-mucks from corporate told me to put it back the way it was. Their reasoning was along the lines of "the customers are fooled by lower prices and then adding tax." Harumph harumph, I was assured that much research had been done on this topic.

Back then I believed in "research and studies" about as much as I do today (when the results are contrary to my experience and common sense.)
  14. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @01:48pm:
    When I ran the little railroad in the park...and the snackbar...we did the same thing. Programmed the cash register to charge 1.87 for an ice cream bar, and add the tax, so the total came out to $2.00. Ran it that way for as long as I was there, some years off and on. Once in a while a customer would ask about the tax, and we'd explain that it was included in the price. Everyone thought it was a great idea.

Daniel, yes, most American businesses don't do it that way. We ARE an exceptional country, you know.
  15. By Mr. Pointer Outer. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @01:53pm:
    Daniel FR: US prices are almost universally posted with sales tax
    excluded. Additionally, the sales tax can vary from town to town.
    So you don't know the price of most things until you are at
    the cash register. Americans are mostly fine with this arrangement.
    Or they are told to be fine with it; since this is a flat tax, it
    works in the propagandists' favor so there's no real resistance.
  16. By Daniel FR, Germany. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @02:14pm:
    In Germany all consumer prices must be posted including sales tax while revealing the included tax on the receipt. B2B prices must be indicated as net prices though. That's why I asked.
  17. By Barb from Down Undeer. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @02:21pm:
    Our sales tax is included in the price of the goods and we have rounded off the change for more years than I can remember. Haven't seen a 1 cent piece in quite a while. No big deal, it makes perfect sense.
  18. By Barb from Down Under. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @02:23pm:
    Eeek. You'd think I could at leas manage to get my signature right <blush>
  19. By mmmark. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @03:11pm:
    Daniel - see Mr. P.O.'s answer...

Some items here are priced with tax included, most notably gasoline. Tax calculations get complicated for some purchases. In California for instance, at the grocery store, there are different tax rules for regular food (no tax) hot food (taxable), food supplements such as protein powder (taxable) or cod-liver oil(taxable) but not olive oil (non-taxable), seaweed crushed and in capsules is taxable, seaweed sheets for sushi are not, and so on.

If a bakery item with non-edible decorations is sold, tax may or may not apply to a portion of the price depending on how much of the item is decoration vs. cake. Imagine a small cookie sitting on a large toy, sold together. Cookie is not taxed. Toy is.
  20. By DonL. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @08:44pm:
    Barb from Down Under:
    My brother in law lives in Sidney and he told me this the last time he came to visit. Makes so much sense!
    By the way, I like your plastic bills (notes) as well. We Canadians are going to get them too, apparently.
  21. By Barb from Down Under. Comment posted 29-Oct-2010 @09:02pm:
    @DonL.
    Don't get the plastic notes. They are too hard to count.