Tuesday, 21 September, 2010

New Word Puzzle Ready To Sweep The Nation

I think I invented a new type of word puzzle. Start with this:

The air was calm, as it had been for the past few hours, when Bob approached the moonshine apparatus.

The goal is to re-write the sentence using the same word as many times as possible. For example;

The air was still still when Bob approached the still.

Can you think of any more? I can't.

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Dick Kusleika. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @08:33am:
    Do homophones count?

I would very much like to extract pollen from flowers and build a hive.

To be a bee would be the bee's knees.
  2. By d. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @08:44am:
    You can add one to that:

The still air was still still when Bob approached the still.
  3. By J-Walk. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @08:46am:
    The bumbling secret agent's companion, who is not very intelligent, exclaimed "that hurts!" when the cone of silence fell on his head.

Maxwell Smart's companion, lacking smarts, exclaimed "that smarts!" when the cone of silence fell on his head.
  4. By J-W #656. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:08am:
    I stayed while a portion of my deceased hamster's ashes were turned over to my ex, leaving the rest for me.

I remained while half of my hamster's remains went to my ex, while the remaining remains went to me.
  5. By J-W #656. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:09am:
    This was stretching the rules quite a bit, I admit.
  6. By jrs. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:17am:
    Still, the still air was still still when Bob approached the still.
  7. By Sassy Chick. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:17am:
    The lo-cal drink that was part of my reducing regimen, did not enhance my eating plan.

The diet drink that was part of my diet did not enhance my diet.
  8. By martin. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:25am:
    Some bison from a large upstate New York city who are terrorized by other bison from their same town, also bully other bison from that same city.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
  9. By J-Walk. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:25am:
    The superhero swung his club at the flying mammal, and then updated his database by executing a text file that contains DOS commands.

Batman swung his bat at the bat, and then updated his database by running a *.BAT file.
  10. By ElMoney. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:26am:
    Even the sway of her hips could not sway me from my intention to sway the jury's opinion of Ebenezer Sway and his Sway Family Singers.
  11. By kashmarek. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:33am:
    Building on the others...

Still, the still air was still still when Bob still approached the still still.
  12. By J-Walk. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:33am:
    Moving on to Level II...

The floating bird had to lower its head to avoid going underwater in the lavatory.

The had to duck so he wouldn't sink in the sink.
  13. By Doug. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:28am:
    The head strong duck had to duck it's duck head to duck heading down the head.
  14. By wally the duck. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:29am:
    In the deodorant cake business, you don't rest until you're in all the urinals.
  15. By bananoriz. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:30am:
    I pick up his pickup with my pickup, do you pick up ?
  16. By kashmarek. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @11:31am:
    How much wood
    would a woodchuck chuck
    if a woodchuck
    would chuck wood...Chuck?
  17. By south. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @11:35am:
    Has it swept yet?
  18. By J-Walk. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @11:38am:
    Clearly, some people do not understand the simple rule. Each puzzle requires TWO parts.
  19. By south. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:00pm:
    Ooohhh. We're not supposed to use your sentence but to make up our own and then rewrite it with the repeating word. Got it.
  20. By J-Walk. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:19pm:
    Yeah, basically you're not supposed to use my sentence but to make up our own and then rewrite it with the repeating word.
  21. By ElMoney. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:28pm:
    I think my way is more fun. <sticks tongue out>
  22. By Blossom. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:34pm:
    May we fire the tin from the french chorus line? It has no dancing ability.

Can we can the can from the cancan? It can't dance.
  23. By Peyton. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:51pm:
    The family editor detected with his decection device an evil aroma from the incense dish.

The censor sensed with his censor's sensor a sinful scent from the censer.

This may be more of a tongue twister...
  24. By wormpicker. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:52pm:
    Y'all are no match at this game for Rummy.
  25. By embrangle. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @01:16pm:
    Is it possible that your prosthetic chewing apparatus has left a sizable mark in your comfortable recliner?

Dint your dentures dent your den chair?
  26. By wally the duck. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @01:44pm:
    Rules? Huh?
  27. By wally the duck. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @02:38pm:
    Ruler rules rules rule.
  28. By John Weeks. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @02:50pm:
    Tho stilled, still building on others:
    Still, the still air was still still when Bob Still still approached the still still, and was rendered still.
    - the other weeks
  29. By Schmittenhammer. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @05:52pm:
    From the movie Charly,
    That that is is that that is not is not is it not.
    or properly punctuated (I hope)
    That that is,is, that that is not, is not, is it not?
  30. By Schmittenhammer. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @05:56pm:
    After Googling, which I should have done first.

That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is.
    That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.
  31. By drHoward. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @06:01pm:
    What if his name was Bob Still? So Still approached the still.
  32. By Anagram. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @06:29pm:
    We need to prohibit Joe from playing in the old-time music contest because he has a fake instrument, and can't play that instrument worth beans anyway.

We need to ban Joe from the banjo contest because he has a fake banjo, and can't play the banjo worth beans anyway.
  33. By Anagram. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @06:59pm:
    P.S., I don't want to ban an actual Joe from a banjo contest. It's a fictional Ban Joe movement.
  34. By dylanfan. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @09:53pm:
    By wormpicker. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @12:52pm:
    Y'all are no match at this game for Rummy.

Odds are it will be out in time for Christmas giving:

"The title and release date of Donald Rumsfeld's memoir are now known, or, as he might say, are now known knowns.

The book is called "Known and Unknown," and it's coming in January."

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because, as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know," he said. "There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know."
  35. By mmmark. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:02pm:
    I drove down the street behind the leaking caviar truck.

I rode the roe'd road.
  36. By AdamBa. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:21pm:
    "The green worm went towards the glass of heraldic squirrel fur."

You have to translate from English to French, and also hope that your translator picks the proper translation of "heraldic squirrel fur".
  37. By Inti. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:39pm:
    The mock house designed for the movie was mounted at nightfall, only for it to be burned in a dramatic way.

The set was set up after sunset and set on fire.
  38. By Inti. Comment posted 21-Sep-2010 @10:40pm:
    AdamBa: "Le ver vert alla vers le verre de vair"?
  39. By Jakartass. Comment posted 22-Sep-2010 @09:38am:
    You can still build on the still

Still, the still air was still still when Bob Still still approached the still still on stilts.
  40. By Russel. Comment posted 22-Sep-2010 @10:25am:
    I saw a saw in Arkansas that cout outsaw any other saw in Arkansas.
  41. By chip. Comment posted 22-Sep-2010 @08:48pm:
    While stopped by a traffic signal near a seaboard signal to prevent ships from foundering, a famous and influential individual attempted to ignite an oil lamp while the sun was shining, and used a lamp containing a thin oil to do so, and resulting in a spiritual experience for the person next to me.

Waiting at the light by the light, one of this generation's lights tried to light a light light in the light, causing a passenger to see the light.
  42. By Steve Boushankus. Comment posted 28-Sep-2010 @08:54am:
    Something stinks.

I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly.