Tuesday, 01 March, 2011

New Hippie Bus

It looks pretty ugly to me, but Bisbonian will have the final word: VW unveils new microbus loved by hippies.

Geneva Auto Show VW Bus

More here.

Volkswagen has unveiled an all-new concept, the 'Bulli', at the Geneva Motor Show. It is a development of the Microbus concept which made its debut ten years ago in 2001 and a new generation of Volkswagen people carrier - the first of which broke cover back in 1950 with the production of the first Volkswagen Transporter.

More compact than the 2001 concept vehicle, the new Volkswagen Bulli is powered by an electric motor and fitted with six seats and infotainment control via iPad.

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @04:57pm:
    Reminiscent of the Fiat Multipla of the late 50's-early 60's (and it's nowhere near as ugly as the current Multipla).
  2. By wally the duck. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:06pm:
    Looks like a Cooper Maxi.
  3. By Dee. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:17pm:
    Groovy
  4. By Mr. Pointer Outer. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:26pm:
    four bolts and a cinderblock to drop the engine and then everything can be repaired with a pocket knife, vicegrips, and three feet of bailing wire? if yes, i'll be first in line. no, and well ...
  5. By BobK. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:32pm:
    Needs some peace symbols and Grateful Dead decals on the windows.
  6. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:41pm:
    I'm reading a novel that features this bumper sticker -- and it's not even on a VW microbus.

butterflies.jpg
  7. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:48pm:
    But forget about the Blaupunkt?
    Fender Audio System Rocks the New VW Microbus
    Since when (now) does Fender do auto audio?
  8. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:50pm:
    Oh, and it's an electric vehicle
  9. By Mean Jean. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:58pm:
    Farfegnugen.
  10. By meg_mac. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @06:06pm:
    I so want that bumper sticker.
  11. By Mazy. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @06:08pm:
    Looks a bit like the Scion xB
  12. By J-Walk. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @06:12pm:
    I so want that bumper sticker.

Go to zazzle.com, and you can make any bumper sticker you can think of.
  13. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @06:45pm:
    33yp1cp.jpg
  14. By Gary. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @07:36pm:
    I think VW made a mistake by not going with the original Microbus concept from a few years ago....

mwz1ar.jpg
  15. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @07:38pm:
    Well, it's not as ugly as the concept it was based upon.

The New Beetle doesn't really look that much like the original, but it got enough of the styling cues to be reminiscent, and yet modern enough not to look stodgy. The New Mini did an even better job. I think Ford hit an absolute home run with their retro-Mustang a few years ago. This is more like a weird bounce to the infield that slipped past the shortstop and made it to first base. I suppose it could grow on you.
  16. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @07:40pm:
    Oh, thanks for putting that up Gary. Yeah, maybe you're right...that one is more buslike. If they had just made a nice swoopy vee on the front instead of that angular sort-of-suggests-a-vee, I think it would have helped immensely.

http://awesomecarauctions.com/uploaded_images/1967 volkswagen bus vanagon-714556.jpg
  17. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @07:42pm:
    Bleah

Try again:

vw-samba-bus.jpg
  18. By Ozzy. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:06pm:
    That's more like it, Bisbonian. I just picked up a '64 21 window a couple months ago. Hopefully I'll have it on the road soon. Gotta get done with the daughter's '72 bug restoration first.
  19. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @10:28pm:
    Be still, my pounding heart...

What a sweetie that Blue Lady is, Bisbo - oh, my.

I agree that Gary's version is much better than the one they decided on. What makes the VW Bus different from every other van-type vehicle on earth is its character, and the new one has no character at all. Blech.
  20. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @11:30pm:
    I kinda like this one:

2dj3qli.jpg
  21. By Snag. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @04:29am:
    Right-on ! Bisbo

J-Walk wasted the term butt-ugly on another recent post ... he should have saved it for the Bulli.
  22. By wally the duck. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @06:44am:
    Style...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  23. By felixthecat. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @06:46am:
    That blue van in the driveway is beautiful.
  24. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @07:14am:
    THAT is so cool, wally. Spokane Mary, what do you think? That would be an awesome scooter :)
  25. By Abby. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @07:59am:
    @Ozzie...Ohhhhh, you sir are one well privileged with van-style.
    Happy trails in your very special and very memorable and very glazed wheels.

@wally the duck...Thanks for the great image.
    Low tech groover in the Brütsch is gonna have to swallow that there tobaccy pipe when the airbag deploys.
  26. By Ike. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @08:02am:
    i like the name. It sounds like Bulemic.
  27. By Curtis. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @09:48am:
    I've been looking for a new car. I think I'd buy #14 in a heartbeat.

Bis - Mabel looks like a living creature in that photo. She'd be cheesecake to my car, Roger.
  28. By jack. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @11:06am:
    They had me until "iPad."