Saturday, 18 June, 2011

My Work

Several people have asked me to describe my work -- a blogger's statement, as it were. I spent some time thinking about it, and came up with this.

My work explores the relationship between the tyranny of ageing and life as performance.

With influences as diverse as Wittgenstein and Francis Bacon, new synergies are crafted from both simple and complex layers.

Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of the mind. What starts out as triumph soon becomes corroded into a tragedy of temptation, leaving only a sense of what could have been and the chance of a new beginning.

As temporal phenomena become clarified through boundaried and personal practice, the viewer is left with a glimpse of the limits of our future.

Permalink | Posted in Interactive |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Brent. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @09:44am:
    You've barely posted it and it's already been stolen by John Naughton. Shocking.
  2. By Evil Klown. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @09:45am:
    This sounds like the justification for implementation of new taxes to control global warming ... or cooling ... whatever the latest "science" on the subject happens to be now.
  3. By chazunga. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @09:54am:
    The influences of Frankenstein and smoked bacon are hard to ignore...
  4. By Chris J. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @10:26am:
    E.K.
    Is there a basic template you use for every post?
  5. By Redwood. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @10:28am:
    That will be perfect for the back jacket of that novel you're working on.
  6. By wormpicker. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @10:38am:
    I KNEW it had to have a bacon element.
  7. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @10:40am:
    I KNEW it had to have a bacon element.

Aren't you supposed to be on an airplane or something?
  8. By tM. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @10:59am:
    As shifting blog postings become transformed through diligent practice, readers are left with an impression of the edges of our world.
  9. By Guy. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @11:36am:
    I found another cool app on that same website: suncalc

Right now (1:34pm CDST) it's just after solar noon in Dallas.
  10. By pj. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @01:33pm:
    blah..........blah..........blah.........blah.......
  11. By banjo brad. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @01:33pm:
    I thought you said the other day, in another post, that your blogging thing isn't work.
  12. By wormpicker. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @02:19pm:

Aren't you supposed to be on an airplane or something?

I was on an airplane. Now I'm not in an airplane.
  13. By banjo brad. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @02:20pm:
    I was on an airplane. Now I'm not in an airplane.

That must have been some windy ride!
  14. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @04:59pm:
    I think a documentary film about this blog would be cool. Wish I'd thought of that three years ago.
  15. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @05:03pm:
    Wish I'd thought of that three years ago.

Yeah, then you'd be saying: "Why in the hell did I ever think a documentary film about this blog would be cool?"
  16. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @05:28pm:
    No, you're wrong. I only wish I'd thought of it three years ago so the funding and planning was in place so shooting could start now.

It would be a good movie. Nobody has made a doc about a blog, but they will and this would be a perfect blog for it because of the commenters you have amassed. Also, this type of blog is disappearing.
  17. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @05:38pm:
    Even better. You have 484 days to make "A Ten-Year Blog."

You could chronicle the heartbreak, fear, and trepidation of JWB readers as the final day approaches. Is he serious? Will he really just stop blogging on October 15, 2012?

You could be the next Harold Camping.
  18. By chazunga. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @05:39pm:
    Bust a move, CC.
  19. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @05:55pm:
    And if you're incapable of busting a move, please try to bust a rhyme.
  20. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @05:56pm:
    Harold Camping? Who is that?

It's been my experience that artists have limited understanding of their work's true impact.
  21. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @06:01pm:
    Harold Camping? Who is that?

Click
  22. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @06:07pm:

Me? An artist. I'm just a normal guy who has a web site and
    posts weird stuff while sitting at my computer in my underwear.
  23. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @06:40pm:
    That's art.
  24. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @07:10pm:
    That's art.

Maybe 15 years ago. But by now, everyone has seen this photo of me. It's no longer art.

underwear.jpg
  25. By wally the duck. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @08:01pm:
    Attractor of an amalgam of asocial *****.
    B
    Curator of cultural curios.
    Decadal displayer of digital decadence
    E
  26. By Toad. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @08:14pm:
    I have that picture taped to the front of my fridge.
  27. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jun-2011 @09:54pm:
    So health is part of your motivation for ending the blog?

That's a very good reason, if so.

I actually felt better during my absence... maybe I should take an early exit. I've been dealing with some major arthritis problems that necessitated about 15 days of less activity and I'm still not back in full gear.

I like full gear.