Thursday, 13 October, 2011

My Exit Interview: Part 3

I just have a few more questions. Shall we continue with the interview, Mr. Walkenbach?

Sure. Whatever.

Given the opportunity, the wish list, the ability to mess about with the Space-Time Continuum, who from the past or present would you invite around to your place to enjoy a meal with and what would be your menu of choice?

Dorothy Killgallon. Liver and Onions.

What is the thing that you have done that has made you the proudest?

I don't know.

Did something change in your lifestyle (health concerns, aging, jamming, writing, exercise) that made continuing the blog less important?

If it's Obama vs Romney, who will win?

I have no idea, and I don't even care.

jwmontana Do you happen to have a photo of yourself sitting in front of an ancient computer?

As a matter of fact, I do.

On a deserted island, can have music by only three artist, who would they be?

I hate questions like that. Next.

What's something you know you do differently than most people?

Nothing. I do everything just like everyone else.

Cheers, Bon Voyage and what the heck will I fill my time with at work now?

That's your problem. Maybe try doing some work for a change.

Can I come spend a night at your place when I make my trip across the United States on my bicycle from Cape Canaveral?

Do you have any interview questions you'd like to ask individual commenters?

Is it true that your books were a major influence on writers as diverse as Tom Clancy, Douglas Adams and the guy from the book with the movie with Tom Hanks?

Are we finished here?

Yes. The bottom of the barrel has been scraped. Thank you for your time, Mr. Walkenbach.

Don't mention it.

Permalink | Posted in Site News |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By namowal. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @08:48am:
    Is that a TRS 80 I see?
  2. By chazunga. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @09:01am:
    Thanks for all; I expect to add your CD of banjo tunes to my record library (right between Melvin van Peebles and Weezer) further on down the road...
  3. By concertinist. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @09:32am:
    Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
  4. By Woodzy. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @10:03am:
    I think those are data cassetts on the table - I remember those days also - we thought that was high tech over punch cards but I don't think anyone of us could believe that today you could carry the storage of the largest harddrive of those days on a keyring. Actually I remember buying a 10 meg (Yes, I said MEG) hard driver for $8000 from Heath Zenith. Ram was $1 per K (again - I say K).

Well - good luck to you in the future and I have always enjoyed your blog.

Woodzy
  5. By concertinist. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @10:32am:
    Lamps, on the other hand, haven't changed much since those days.
  6. By Onecos. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @11:20am:
    I remember buying a 10 meg

In 1983 I had a Mac 128K that was soon upgraded to a Mac Plus with an SCSI port where I could plug a hard drive. I had a choice between a 10 or 20 Meg hard drive. I went with the big boy!
  7. By Floyd. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @11:55am:
    Cheers, Bon Voyage and what the heck will I fill my time with at work now?

That's your problem. Maybe try doing some work for a change.

Work?!?! Work!?!? I don't come here to sit around for 8 hours five days a week to WORK!

(And, boy, I'm gonna miss your blog. But I'll try to connect using the Google.)
  8. By wormpicker. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @12:33pm:
    Seems like the interview subject started losing interest and patience. He probably should have politely excused himself after part 2.
  9. By Andie. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @03:38pm:
    I'd like to add my thanks. I have enjoyed reading and commenting here. I will miss the experience.
  10. By Terri. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @04:14pm:
    I will so miss your blog. I think I have only posted one comment but have been reading for several years. In your second interview you offered to make your archives available to anyone who asks - please?
    Also, I looked at Google+ but the "contract" seemed kind of daunting. If you tell me I will not be promising them 50% of my estate I want to follow you there. Otherwise, how can I access the archives.
    I have absolutely loved the terse humor and brilliant wit - my best to you and Pamn.
  11. By RickHap. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @04:35pm:
    If it's Obama vs Romney, who will win?

I have no idea, and I don't even care.

We have a bet on this matter.
  12. By gdm IV. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @04:37pm:
    I looked at Google+ but the "contract" seemed kind of daunting

I didn't even read it -- what parts concern you, Terri?

Anyone else balk at Google's terms?
  13. By Curtis. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @05:02pm:
    RickHap - who has a bet on this matter.
  14. By J-Walk. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @05:30pm:
    It's a well-documented bet.

Curtis: Romney wins
    RickHap: Obama wins

The loser buys Bacon o' the Month for the winner four years. At least that's my understanding. If RickHap doesn't clarify, we can assume that the bet is on.
  15. By reddevil. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @05:30pm:
    1 more day to go, i will really miss you
    i have been reading for many years & have enjoyed it very much
    good luck with what ever you do in the future
    i have you on google+
  16. By Biff. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:14pm:
    My last comment!
  17. By wormpicker. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:15pm:
    I think I'll feel relieved when the blog closes. These math problems have been killing me.
  18. By J-W #656. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:30pm:
    I want to add my thanks too John. I am only a year older (or maybe two) than you and will have to live out my life at work before retiring without wasting many moments of my employer's time by reading your blog.

You will me missed!
  19. By Ed. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:31pm:
    While I seldom comment here, I have enjoyed reading the postings and the comments. I'm struggling with the new G+ thing, and will keep on keepin' on, but will be sad (tomorrow) to see this blog go away. John, take that as a compliment. You have made a positive contribution to the [Universe][my enjoyment of the internet][Inbetween] (pick one, two or all).

Thanks, be well, and enjoy yourself!

Ed in Nawth NH ["Watch that moose!"]
  20. By J-W #656. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:32pm:
    xx You will be missed.
  21. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:33pm:
    on the last day will there be a 24 hour countdown?
  22. By J-W #656. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:35pm:
    I'm strugglying with it also.
  23. By J-Walk. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:36pm:
    on the last day will there be a 24 hour countdown?

There could be, but that would be too melodramatic. Plus, I'd have to do a lot of googling for the PHP code. So let's just say no.
  24. By J-W #656. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:47pm:
    Well in that case, you want to go out like Andy Rooney then ... but you know he's 90 years old

Please reconsider doing your blog for one more year John, you will still be young!
  25. By J-W #656. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @06:56pm:
    Last post here: 9 is an unlucky number, as we all know dealing with accounting and transposing.

John, you gotta keep this blog for another year!
  26. By Scott in MN. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @07:03pm:
    It's been fun. I'm not much of a blog reader - I read J-Walk and sometimes Bad Astronomy. It's a good group of folks that have hung out here and I'm glad I was a part of it. Maybe I'll use the time I save not reading the blog to dig out my fiddle and try to get back the modest chops I once possessed.
    Best wishes to you, John.
  27. By wormpicker. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @07:09pm:
    I see a fierce competition coming up in WOM with everyone vying to be: LAST!
  28. By Chris J.. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @07:12pm:
    J-Walk
    I said my farewells last time you up and quit.
    Thank you for the entertainment these last nine years.
    You should be proud of this venture. You ran a clean, well organized operation that made everyone communicate better, (or be banished for life). See you at G+.
  29. By wormpicker. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @07:13pm:
    Plus, I'd have to do a lot of googling for the PHP code.

Here's some help.
  30. By J-Walk. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @07:18pm:
    I see a fierce competition coming up in WOM with everyone vying to be: LAST!

Good point. When do I pull the switch? At midnight? I won't be awake then, and I'm certainly not going to set the alarm clock so I can wake up and end a blog.

I think there's an alarm clock on Pamn's side of the bed, but she'd think I was crazy if I asked her to set it for midnight.

I'll probably just pull the switch before I go to bed tomorrow.
  31. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @07:45pm:
    Who will have the last word? theres a good bacon bet
  32. By sekirt. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @08:46pm:
    Since I won't be part of anything Google, how can we email you once the J-Walk Blog is closed for good?
  33. By Curtis. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @09:24pm:
    Who will be the first on the WOM to say "Last!"?
  34. By J-Walk. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @09:26pm:

Sorry, I have a gmail account, so that means I'm unreachable by you.
  35. By gdm IV. Comment posted 13-Oct-2011 @11:32pm:
    I'll probably just pull the switch before I go to bed tomorrow.

J-Walk, do you have a fairly standard bedtime? I'm keeping tomorrow afternoon/evening open for the last hurrah, but it would be good to know what time we can expect the old JWB to close down for good.
  36. By RickHap. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:04am:
    Bet is correct as posted. Good day!
  37. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:55am:
    The countdown in days is no longer sufficient. We need a countdown clock.
  38. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:29am:
    RickHap clarified so bet's off?