Wednesday, 28 September, 2011

Kindle Price History

I updated by Kindle price history chart, using the new $79 price.

kindleprices

The linear tend line now predicts free Kindles around August of next year. But I think it will be sooner than that.

Permalink | Posted in Kindle |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Curtis. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @10:48am:
    Most people shopping for an e-reader are now going to buy Kindles and a large group of tablet shoppers are going to go with the Fire.

I'm intrigued by the lighter weight and the touch screen on the $99 Kindle.

But it becomes ever more clear that these are primarily shopping devices and so of course they'll be free one day.
  2. By J-Walk. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @11:01am:
    Shopping device is a good term for it. These things just let you consume media that you buy from Amazon and store in the cloud.
  3. By Bradley. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @11:31am:
    Great, i've been following your chart for a while.
  4. By Dee. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @11:55am:
    I suspect they will be free "with the purchase of something else" sooner than 2012.
  5. By Dan R.. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @12:11pm:
    It looks more like a sigmoid relationship than a linear relationship to me - the tail can stretch out to a stable value, not necessarily at 0.
  6. By banjo brad. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @12:48pm:
    Reading one of the reviews, I noticed that the Nook will accept Kindle-format books. I wonder if Kindle reciprocates?

I'm beginning to think maybe I would like one or the other, but I still have a couple of enhancements I would like to see first.
  7. By was south. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @01:07pm:
    Would there be a day when, customers get paid to use it?
  8. By mmmark. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @01:19pm:
    was south, I think the answer is a definite yes. I predict a day when the kindle will be free and if you allow ads to show on the screensaver and home page you will get $X.XX credit to buy books from Amazon each month.

They're already discounting $30.00 off the price for the ads. What's a free book or two per month worth to them, since it's all electronic and in the cloud anyway?
  9. By Ense. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @01:22pm:
    I heard a rumor Canonical was going to come out with a tablet but if Kindles are going to be free I'll take one.
  10. By Dean Booth. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @01:51pm:
    Good news: I was able to check out a Kindle book from the library this week.

Unfortunately, the selection was pretty horrible. Only 249 books in the History category, and 20% of those were Cincinnati and Boone county census records. (The book I got was very good and I recommend it: The Clockwork Universe.)

If Kindles's are free, can library's check out Kindles with books on them w/out having to buy a new ebook every 26 checkouts?
  11. By J-Walk. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @02:05pm:

Library copies: 19
    Available copies: 0 (108 patron(s) on waiting list)
  12. By Village Idjut. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @02:05pm:
    Why stop in August of 2012? By the summer of 2014, they will be sending me a free Kindle and a check for $200.
  13. By Dean Booth. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @02:09pm:
    Here in Cols., they had at most 3 copies of any Kindle book and waiting lists. Technology has outpaced Capitalism.
  14. By Chakolate. Comment posted 28-Sep-2011 @07:38pm:
    I fitted a logarithmic curve to the data and got the same correlation coefficient: .936. Looking good for a free kindle, yes it is.
  15. By wally the duck. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @08:15am:
    "The Tucson library has 2,622 Kindle books. It's not uncommon to see this for popular books:"

It's senseless, isn't it, to limit the number of electronic copies? Why not just charge per use and allow unlimited uses?
  16. By beegee. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @01:34pm:
    Entirely anecdotal but on the morning train to NYC,

iPad: 50%
    Kindle: 5%
    other pads: 5%
    good old newspapers and books: 15%
    smart phones and stupid phones: 15%
    sleeping: 10%
  17. By wok. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @02:34pm:
    Will it run G+?
  18. By Tom Saidak. Comment posted 01-Oct-2011 @09:47pm:
    Graphs are good tools, but don't tell everything. I believe you could get a similar graph for color inkjet printers, but nobody is giving them away free some years after graphs said it would happen. The e-book scene has accelerated much faster than anticipated. Other articles are suggesting that Amazon is changing their strategy, to sell Kindles at a loss on the basis they will make it up in sales. IIRC, as of June this year, fully 75% of their book sales are e-books. This wasn't expected to happen for another four to 9 years from now. E-ink readers tend to be fragile. If you call up and tell them your kindle isn't working properly(especially for screen problems), their first question will be "Did you drop it or did it fall?" If you say yes, your are SOL. How far kindle prices drop will be more a function of how product sales go. They MIGHT go the way of celphones, but than you'll be signing multiyear contracts. OR they might to the way of printers
  19. By Bret. Comment posted 05-Aug-2012 @06:59pm: