Sunday, 30 January, 2011

Ketchup On Books

If you're in Boise and notice some ketchup stains on your library books, here's the explanation: Boise library vandal sentenced to a month in jail.

Joy L. Cassidy was taken away in handcuffs Friday after pleading guilty to misdemeanor malicious injury to property.

What happened?

When she was arrested after dumping syrup, ketchup and mayonnaise into a library book-drop, many wondered what her motive was — other than to destroy public property and create a gooey mess.

It came out in court on Friday that Cassidy, 75, was retaliating for being banned from the Ada Community Library in 2007 because of conflicts she’d had with the staff and other patrons.

The library spent about $1,000 on a surveillance system to finally catch her.

Shown here is parade of ketchup bottles -- enough ketchup to vandalize just about all of the books with a Dewey Decimal System number between 160 and 167.

ketchup

Permalink | Posted in Books |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By chazunga. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @05:24pm:
    Caught red-handed!
  2. By wormpicker. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @05:36pm:
  3. By wally the duck. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @06:16pm:
    I notice that the particular brand pictured there violates the "i before e" rule.
  4. By wormpicker. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @06:20pm:

Weird, huh. (For German words, ei is always pronounced "I" and ie is always pronounced "ee")
  5. By wally the duck. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @06:41pm:
    The rule I've always followed for German words and names is: skip the first vowel but pronounce the second one.
  6. By Gee.... Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @06:54pm:
    I remember that.
    We discussed it among freinds and decided that the mayo was probably the worst.
  7. By Was wolfram alpha ever in Beta?. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @07:55pm:
    Poor woman. She clearly has a screw loose.
  8. By wormpickersmathwhiz. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @07:57pm:
    You know, they should poor ketchup on Lord of the Flies and Fahrenheit 451.
  9. By wormpicker. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @08:00pm:
    Pour ketchup, wormpickersmathwhiz. Or, are you saying that any ketchup would be unfortunate to be stuck to these books?
  10. By wormpicker. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @08:02pm:

That would be logic, induction, deduction, fallacies & sources of error, syllogisms, and hypotheses.
  11. By wormpickersmathwhiz. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @08:05pm:
    Yes, they should pour ketchup on the books, but then again, I would feel bad for that poor ketchup that would have to be stuck with those terrible books.
  12. By mmmark. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @10:07pm:
    I am guessing that wormpickersmathwhiz was forced to read those books in school. When I first read them, I read them because I wanted to. And liked them.

I remember a news story years ago about a guy who turned over a one-gallon jug of syrup into a tollbooth basket.
  13. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 30-Jan-2011 @10:15pm:
    As I recall, there was quite a flurry of puns (I almost said bad puns, but why be repetitive and redundant) quite a while back when information of her arrest was first posted on this blog.
  14. By balto bob. Comment posted 31-Jan-2011 @02:23am:
    I'da gone with mustard (the yellow stain in hot dog mustard is "b" to get out) or squeezable grape jelly - oooo the goooo!
  15. By wally the duck. Comment posted 31-Jan-2011 @07:54am:

I don't remember that! I guess I should go back through old posts and ketchup.
  16. By Peyt the Great. Comment posted 01-Feb-2011 @05:58pm:
    Good choice of Dewey, destroying books is illogical.