Tuesday, 01 March, 2011
When Christians argue with each other: Christian author's book sparks charges of heresy.
Rob Bell, a pastor and author who has achieved rock star status in the Christian world, is preaching a false gospel, his critics say. And some of those critics are Christian rock stars in their own right.
The pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Bell has authored a book called Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived, which ignited a firestorm of controversy over the weekend, weeks before it arrives in bookstores.
As it turns out, this particular preacher preaches universalism:
Universalism, in its broadest terms, preaches that everyone goes to heaven and that there is no hell. Critics say it represents a break from traditional Christianity, which they say holds that heaven and hell are very real places. In most Christian circles, universalism is a dirty word.
I can certainly understand that. Once you remove eternal hellfire and damnation from the mix, there's not much left to religion. Most Christians don't like the idea of spending eternity with people Richard Dawkins and Benny Hinn.
Rob Bell is shown here wearing hipster glasses. I think those are hipster glasses. I've never really understood what hipster glasses look like.
- Reader Comments -
Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.
- By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @04:58pm:
- By Christian Door. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:01pm:
- By exp_err. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:37pm:
- By Mr. Pointer Outer. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @05:43pm:
- By Edger Alien Poe. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @06:01pm:
- By xorg. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @07:40pm:
- By NiceJean. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:14pm:
- By Bisbonian. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @10:20pm:
- By OpensFire. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @06:05am:
- By VP. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @06:35am:
- By Pender. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @07:09am:
- By Mr. Pointer Outer. Comment posted 02-Mar-2011 @01:45pm: