Sunday, 10 July, 2011

Guess That Person

This has been around for a while, but I forgot about it. Think of a person, and the genie will guess who it is by asking 20 questions: Akinator.

akinator

It does a pretty good job. It took 26 questions to come up with Arlo Guthrie. After 20, it guessed John Prine.

(Thanks Mikey)

Note: A few have reported that this site may contain malware. It might be browser-specific, or it might be from an ad. It's probably best to avoid it.

Permalink | Posted in Interactive |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By banjo brad. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @02:38pm:
    I tried it the other day and stumped it! I used the title character from an H.P. Lovecraft story.
  2. By Patricio. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @02:40pm:
    Things were going well with the genie until I was thinking of Jeff Koons and he guessed Thomas Kinkade. Um, no.
  3. By GreenBoy. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @02:43pm:
    It couldn't get Randolp Carter?
  4. By concertinist. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @02:59pm:
    It got Niels Bohr. I was impressed, especially since I wasn't sure if he had big ears or a funny haircut.
  5. By concertinist. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:03pm:
    OK, he cheats a little. We got it down to a state governor and he immediately asked if he lives in Texas.
  6. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:17pm:
    Yes, he definitely cheats by doing an IP address geography lookup. I was thinking of Jan Brewer, governor of Arizona. He guess her with far too little information.
  7. By Andie. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:34pm:
    I stumped it on Jane Olivor and Colleen McCullogh.
  8. By DonL. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:35pm:
    It got Diana Krall in 20 questions. Pretty good.
  9. By Doug. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:35pm:
    Couldn't get the great Emanuel Swedenborg.
  10. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:44pm:
    I was thinking of Pete Seeger; he came up with Bill Gaither. After a few more questions (#23 Does he play the banjo?), he got it right.
  11. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:52pm:
    George Warren (my town is named after him), prospector who staked the claim on the Copper Queen mine, and namesake of the Warren mining district, only real person to be depicted on a state seal. After thirty questions, he guessed Wyatt Earp. After about 40, Zebulon Pike. He asked at least three times if he wore a hat.
  12. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @03:56pm:
    ...but it only took 16 questions to get Gilligan.
  13. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:00pm:
    And J-Walk is either Steve Wozniak or Walt Mossberg.
  14. By Doug. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:20pm:
    I stopped playing when it tried to install an .exe file. When I defeated it I clicked the grey PLAY button on the right side and got an .exe warning. I clicked it again and got another .exe warning.
  15. By wormpicker. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:26pm:
    It got Francis Crick, but didn't know Sydney Brenner or Andy Fire.
  16. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:34pm:
    I got a Whitesmoke malware program.
  17. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:35pm:
    I stopped playing when it tried to install an .exe file.

That's strange. Could it have been from an ad? That's another good reason to use ad blockers.
  18. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:43pm:
    I can't get rid of this Whitesmoke SOB..damn !!
  19. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:49pm:
    lobstah and Doug -- which browser are you using?
  20. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @04:59pm:
    Google Chrome here, It asked me to dl the game ...I fell for it!
  21. By Doug Nelson. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:03pm:
    The people claiming malware are clicking on the word "play" in an ad instead of the word "play" for this app. I did the same thing, but in my case it tried to download NOC32 anti-virus program
  22. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:09pm:
    How the hell do we get rid of it? It seems to be browser related, when I click on Google Chrome, the Whitesmoke search page comes up...I ain't no techie...this sucks
  23. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:18pm:
    lobstah, if you're using Windows you can probably restore your system to a previous state. Google windows restore point for version-specific instructions.
  24. By Doug. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:19pm:
    Chrome - the site tried to install Whites...exe something.

I clicked the PLAY button right of the genie. It sure doesn't look like an ad. The destination URL is at the top of the attached image.

14x2ko3.gif
  25. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:32pm:
    I took one look at that page and said I'm out of here. My script blocker wasn't happy. Not to mention the awful cartoonieness.
  26. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:36pm:
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is why you should install ad blocking software.
  27. By wormpicker. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @05:40pm:

That, ladies and gentlemen, is why you should install ad blocking software.

And/or get a Mac. yes.gif
  28. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:25pm:
    This is weird, I've tried two system restores, and yet it remains. It only seems to affect my shortcut to Chrome, I get a Whitesmoke search page, but my Chrome bookmarks are still working. Any ideas for a tech challenged idiot?
  29. By mmmark. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:32pm:
    Correctly answered:
    David Bowie
    Baba Looey (in 26)
    Graham Kerr (in 26)
    Bob Keeshan/Captain Kangaroo
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Edward G Robinson
    Nemo (too easy)
    Michele Bachman
    Aesop (in 26)
  30. By Blubbedey. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:36pm:
    Nicely done, Akinator. You got Sasha Grey.
  31. By Ivnik8or. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:42pm:
    Found Frank Zappa with 15 questions. Impressive
  32. By Toad. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:44pm:
    lobstah, when you click on the wrench at the upper right corner of Chrome, and select the "Options" menu item, it brings up a page that lets you set your home page. What does it say?

By the way, I mostly use Firefox, so I'm no Chrome expert.
  33. By Blubbedey. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:44pm:
    Right:
    Sasha Grey
    Kratos

Wrong:
    Jazz Jackrabbit (It thought Raving Rabbids - got there in 25)
    Tommy Gunn (It thought Peter North - got there in 30)

Now I'm bored. And thinking of Sasha Grey.
  34. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @06:52pm:
    It only seems to affect my shortcut to Chrome, I get a Whitesmoke search page,

Not sure what that means. Did it just change your home page? If so, that's easy to fix.
  35. By ~Q~. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @07:20pm:
    Extra credit to mmmark for knowing who Graham Kerr is!

It didn't get Peter Gabriel when I tried it... gave me Phil Collins, instead. Close, but NO CIGAR!
  36. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @07:27pm:
    First of all, you have to realize that I am practically computer illiterate, then it makes sense. I bought this new pc last fall and have had very few problems. One seemingly stupid problem was when I installed Chrome, my desktop shortcut took me to a basic search page for Chrome. I could not figure out how to make my iGoogle page as a default, so I just made it a bookmark. The Chrome shortcut was affected by the Whitesmoke search page, and when I clicked it, the Whitesmoke search page loaded. My bookmark toolbar was still there, so I could still navigate to favorites. I made a shortcut to my iGoogle page, and it works fine, but I'm not sure the problem has been solved. I am also slightly intoxicated.
  37. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @07:33pm:
    Did you try Toad's suggestion in #32?
  38. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @07:47pm:
    I just did try Toad's suggestion, and Whitesmoke was listed as the homepage...this is AFTER I deleted the program, all the cookies, and temp files... I hope that thing is gone. Thanks for the help ! If this machine blows up, I will have to steal Judy's Mac until I finally go buy myself one :)
  39. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @07:55pm:
    I think you're in good shape. It looks like they just hijacked the homepage URL.
  40. By lobstah. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @08:28pm:
    Thanks again for the input. I'm a self taught user, so I place the blame on my teacher.
  41. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @09:04pm:
    What Toad said, lobstah. Open Chrome. Then open the pages you want to open every time you start Chrome. Delete any pages you don't want. Then click the wrench right under the X in upper right corner. Select Options. On Startup select "Open the Following Pages." (ie, the ones you just chose.) Then click "Use Current Pages."
  42. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @09:07pm:
    Hope that helps. I'm slightly intoxicated, too.
  43. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 10-Jul-2011 @09:26pm:
    Hope that helps. I'm slightly intoxicated, too.

I'm sure it does.
  44. By Maven. Comment posted 11-Jul-2011 @12:54pm:
    It picked up Iris Dement in 20 questions, but was stumped on Jolene McNulty. Guess J-Walk's "discovery" hasn't made it to Akinator yet.

Did pretty well overall. I defeated him with the Henry, main character of the 1960's Sci-Fi trilogy 'The Tripods'