Wednesday, 08 June, 2011

Google Guitar

It's the best Google Logo ever, in memory of Les Paul's birthday.

les paul

It's playable, and recordable.  Here's a tune I composed. In 12 hours or so, expect some great compositions.

Permalink | Posted in Interactive |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 08-Jun-2011 @10:15pm:
    I especially liked the ending.
  2. By Josh. Comment posted 08-Jun-2011 @10:18pm:
    Whatya think about this, John?

3. By Josh. Comment posted 08-Jun-2011 @10:23pm:
  4. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 08-Jun-2011 @10:31pm:
    Nice. I just couldn't figure out any logic to the notes. Banjo mental block, I guess.
  5. By Mr. Pointer Outer. Comment posted 08-Jun-2011 @10:51pm:
    the number keys work
  6. By Phos..... Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @02:59am:
  7. By Phos..... Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @03:00am:
    My cookies are funny. I was able to get there the first time, but now it just takes me to the minimalist text-entry-and-'I'm feeling-lucky' button page. Can't get to your song link, either, J-Walk.
    A friend of mine pointed me to the Australian version...but it's different than the MerryCan one. You don't seem to be able to record in Au.
  8. By Steve Maskell. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @03:37am:
    No recording or playback available anywhere but USA :-(
  9. By wormpicker. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @08:25am:
    Hey, Josh, I think someone beat you to that second composition.
  10. By Curtis. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @09:09am:
    Can't wait to see and hear what they do for Charlie Parker's birthday.
  11. By J-Walk. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @10:00am:
    I've been trying to reverse engineer the tune= parameter in the URL for saved tunes. Theoretically, you should be able to create a string of character that will be played, without actually recording it.

No luck at all. Not even close. I think it's decoded on the client side. There's some very complicated Javascript on that page.
  12. By AirForceOne. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @10:27am:
    Play back doesn't work outside of USA apparently
  13. By Phos..... Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @12:54pm:
    Has anyone else noticed that you can get some controlled chord strumming, as well as some single-note action by rolling your cursor over various regions of the thin blue bar at the top of the page? Also, rolling cursor over regions in an upward direction results in a placement in the stereo field that's different from rolling from the top down. Yep, there's some serious scripting at work here.
    [click image to enlarge]
    1dUW0rUdlRQJAB2DBu6qNTTvbrkV6_thumb.jpg
  14. By Phos..... Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @01:36pm:
    Here's some background info on the Les Paul Google gadget I found on one of my daily stops.
  15. By sekirt. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @03:07pm:
    YouTube - Google Guitar - Obladi Oblada (Beatles):
  16. By sekirt. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @03:14pm:
    How to Play The Beatles on the Les Paul Google Doodle | News & Opinion | PCMag.com:

Their example: Here Comes The Sun. Link on their web page.
  17. By madawinnie. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @08:17pm:
    i didn't do it, but i couldn't miss passing it around!
  18. By cornhoolio. Comment posted 09-Jun-2011 @09:14pm:
    The number keys work for strings after you press the record button.
  19. By zaine_ridling. Comment posted 10-Jun-2011 @09:34pm:
    I get no sound from this doodle and various links. Is it a flash recording perhaps?
  20. By sekirt. Comment posted 11-Jun-2011 @04:52pm:
    zaine_ridling, yes it requires Flash.

Google’s Musical Doodle Lives On — On Its Own Web Page