Friday, 14 October, 2011

Final Open Mic

If you have something to say, now's the time to type it. Please don't get all sentimental and mushy. I'm not dead, you know.

zebra_mic

Permalink | Posted in Open Mic |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:04pm:
    2j68fic.jpg
  6. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:11pm:
    0222LastTime.jpg
  7. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:14pm:
    Good night Irene - clawhammer
  8. By neil. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:16pm:
    dead did you say?? Oh Nose!
    Oh NOT dead....
    Good!
    Now what did I want to say? I forgot.
  9. By Bryan. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:17pm:
    I have read your blog daily for several years. This is my first ever comment. I am going to miss it. There is now a giant void in my bookmarks.
  10. By Gary. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:18pm:
    Turn Out the Lights, the party's over. See you on the Google.
  11. By Phil. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:19pm:
    Please don't get all sentimental and mushy.

Too Late!
    2efn9rt.gif
  12. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:20pm:
    LAST-CALL1.jpg
  13. By nick earl. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:20pm:
    Thanks john for sharing your stuff the last few years. It is usually a pleasure to see what your blog has to offer each day. Don't know where to turn for stuff that may or may not interest me anymore.

best wishes

..nick
  14. By banjo brad. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:21pm:
    Since we all will be moving on to G+ (hopefully), for those of you misguided souls who want to add me to your circles, my name there is Fred Bradbury.

I have my music-o-nymn "Banjo Brad" as my "Also Known As."

See ya'll there!

J-Walk, what's happening with the mugs?
  15. By bdgbill. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:22pm:
    I have a folder in my browser favorites called "Daily". This contains basically the rounds I make around the internet before doing any work first thing in the morning (and when avoiding work several times later in the day).

This blog currently sits at number 3 in that folder. Right between Flickr and Engadget. I will leave it there for a while since every blogger I have followed long term has quit at one time or another and most of them have eventually come back.

Thanks for all the laughs and good conversation.
  16. By wormpicker. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:24pm:
    It's been great, J-Walk. See you, uh, tonight. And then later tonight. And then tomorrow, and then tomorrow evening. Geez, we see too much of each other.
  17. By Broccoli. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:25pm:
    Most important: Thank you!
  18. By Thrash Cardiom. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:27pm:
    The-last-one-by-Nadia-Biavaschi-Alessandro-Camilli-2.jpg
  19. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:30pm:
    Now that the J-Walk blog is going down, I'll have to get my daily news from The Onion.
  20. By Peter Lindelauf. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:34pm:
    I've got to go pick apples--it's cider-making time again--so I'm going to say So Long now. Thanks for years of fun and entertainment, J-Walk. Awful glad that I can still follow the meanderings of your mind on G+. Thanks for not banning me despite the provocations, too, even if my comments were pretty well a complete waste of time. Still managed to make a handful of friends here--one that I've met in real life--and a few more I hope to meet someday. Also wound up with a banjo, which probably never would've happened if not for J-Walk Blog.

Makes me think of that fine old tune, Will the Circle Be Unbroken? The answer to that is Yes--if you sign up at G+. Regards from Penticton, BC, and the former Don Coyote, Imagineer, Original Zen, and Pedro Subrosa.

ps Sorry about the Carrot post.
  21. By Jake Djibouti. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:36pm:
    How many apples will you pick?
  22. By roger. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:37pm:
    Many thanks for many laughs over the last few years
  23. By Jonco. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:38pm:
    John was a fine man. R.I.P.

..... oh wait... that was Steve Jobs that died. John's still gonna be on The Google+... for a while... or until he dies... whichever comes first.

Seriously, we'll all miss the blog even though he'll continue to post the stuff we may or may not find interesting on G+.

J-Walk Blog - A blog well done.
  24. By Uncle. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:42pm:
    At least I have your email.

Christianity Rules! There, I said it!
  25. By wok. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:43pm:
    To all the commenters I've bugged, before
    Who listened to me -- bore.
    I'm glad they came along,
    I dedicate this song
    To all the commenters I've trolled, before.

And may I say I've held the best -
    For helping me to grow
    I owe a lot I know,
    To all the commenters I've annoyed, before.

I'm glad they came along
    I dedicate this song,
    To all the commenters I've entertained, before.
  26. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:46pm:
  27. By meg_mac. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:48pm:
    It has been a great ride. This blog has lightened my spirit,made me angry and sad. I laughed a lot and got a lot of what was on my mind out. Best wishes John. And my best to Pamn. See you all at G+.
  28. By pumpkynlyon. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:49pm:
    Thanks for all the good times, and interesting reads. I shall miss it. I'll see if I can figure out the google.
  29. By Edger Alien Poe. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:54pm:
    I posted some times as Don Coyote as well, but only when the original was too stoned to notice or care.
  30. By Danl_A. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:54pm:
    It's been a good read. I just wish I would have found it sooner but hey there's always the archive.
  31. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @12:54pm:
    WML Col Sanders

WTF No blindfolds?
  32. By Barb from Down Under. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:03pm:
    In the olden days when people had autograph books some would write on the very last page in the bottom right hand corner

"By hook or by crook
    I'll be last in this book"

If I had a bottom right hand corner of this blog to write in........

Enjoy your semi retirement John.
  33. By chip. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:06pm:
    At least we got the front of the zebra this time
  34. By Chris J.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:08pm:
    Dear John
    It's been really super swell having you in 3rd period math.
    I didn't get to know you too well, maybe we can hang out next year. Have a groovy summer.
  35. By wormpicker. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:14pm:
    Ok, ok, I confess! I may have had a small hand in this.
  36. By Uhclem. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:20pm:
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
    MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!
    CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
    MORTICIAN: He isn't.
    CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
    CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.

I lurked a lot more than I posted, but I never came here and didn't find something cool that I'd never seen before. And man, but the comments here were more intelligent than most of the rest of elsewhere. Go well.
  37. By wondering. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:23pm:
    To the circles then!!!

See ya on the other side..
  38. By meg_mac. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:25pm:
    That was fun wormpicker. The Bacon Reviews by Curtis Curtington were most memorable. If EK reads this I wish him a good life with plenty of joy from kids and grandkids. You to nitwit/scot and wok and Onecos.
  39. By Pamn. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:29pm:
    To all the Commenters ~ THANK YOU ALL! Not only did John manage to drum up weird, interesting, sometimes controversial tidbits, but the community that built up around this blog was the BEST. EVER.
  40. By dude. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:30pm:
    Thanks for pointing me towards "Oryx and Crake". My company thanks you too for all the quality time I spent here.
  41. By wagstafdaddy. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:31pm:
    Good luck, Im bumming.
  42. By thompson_gunner. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:37pm:
    Starting this day, my knowledge of bacon, banjos, excel and Nancy will slowly diminish.

Cheers!
  43. By SKD. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:38pm:
    Good Riddance. I feel like a gigantic burden has been lifted from my shoulders in that I won't have to visit J-Walk every day, several times a day to get stuff that might or might not interest me. Farewell and I hope you really move to AZ. I have a niece close to Flagstaff and she says it's nice there most of the time.
  44. By gdm IV. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:40pm:
    Ok, ok, I confess! I may have had a small hand in this.

HA! That's good fun wormpicker. Are you starting a blog? Maybe you could do a weekly "Checking in with J-Walk" feature. That would be a hoot, especially if you include all the pseudo-trash-talk & hell-giving you seem to enjoy.
  45. By David Culver. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:41pm:
    Thanks for the memories!
  46. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:41pm:
    Thank you, John, and thank you, everyone else, for making this the best sort of home-away-from-home. I've spent more time here than I have just about anywhere else in the last several years and think of you all as extended family. I wish everyone well - good health, lotsa laughs, good books, and much love - and hope to see you on G+.
  47. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:43pm:
    In a perhaps futile attempt to clear up an old controversy stirred up by Dr. Walkenfunk, I am posting these two photos. Compare and contrast:

messyeater.jpg
    NOT ME (DESPITE WHAT J-WALK SAYS)

dsc00725te.jpg
    ME (SUCH AS IT IS)

I hoist a brew to all youse. What a crew of fine motleys you all are!

Please let Rance show up tonight.
  48. By wok. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:44pm:
    Thanks Pamn, thanks meg_mac, thanks errybody.
  49. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:44pm:
    Would you look at that?

wok can be creative, original, funny, and even self-effacing. Why'd you wait til the last day, dude?
  50. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:45pm:
    Oops..I meant in comment #25, not 48!
  51. By ike. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:48pm:
    Arrivederci Giano

write if you find work. watch out for gypsies. drive on the right.
  52. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:49pm:
    Compare and contrast:

Not hipster glasses.
    Short sleeves.
    Chin fuzz.
    Inadequate bib.
    Straight hair.
    No chin dimple.
    Not a Fat Squirrel.
  53. By wok. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:50pm:
    I can't help how you chose to see me. Also, I think you and Mary and some others 'went after' the things I had to say much more than the other way around. Which I enjoyed - but, yeah. Happy Trains and Planes.
  54. By meg_mac. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:52pm:
    'Well, a toast then to John and all these fine people who have enriched my life'
    28tji9h.jpg
  55. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:53pm:
    That adequate bib was a very special gift given to me by Mr & Mrs. Toad.
  56. By LJW. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:53pm:
    I used to share an office with Wendy! and she always had this J-Walk Blog page up on her computer. I had no idea what it was. I thought it was some site relative to actual walking. So finally one day, I checked it out for myself. That was 4 years ago. I've enjoyed this blog. Now to figure out what to change my home page to...
  57. By Paul. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:57pm:
    Thanks John.

Thanks all.

It's been fun, and I've learnt a lot here... some that I found interesting, some not.. and I'll miss it!
  58. By Larz. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @01:58pm:
    Wow - 9 years already? Thanks for keeping me sane at work. See y'all on G+. But I won't be commenting much if I have to use my real name. (not that I did it all that often here)

GO BREWERS!!
  59. By Astro Jetson. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:00pm:
    I'm pleased to say that I did help contribute to the "front page", a few of my submission made it there.

Thanks very much for the daily read, I'm going to miss it.

I don't Facebook and consider G+ to be a Facebook clone, but I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Astro!
  60. By Chris J.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:00pm:
    Larz
    You can use a pseudonym in G+. Part of the profile set up
  61. By Chris J.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:03pm:
    BTW J-Walk

Nice touch with the zebra again.
    Is there something about endings and Zebrea's.
    ohhh wait a b c... very clever.
  62. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:03pm:
    shus.jpg
  63. By Chris J.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:03pm:
    Crap... and out I go on a misspelling.
  64. By gdm IV. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:10pm:
    Thanks to Pamn for supporting & participating in J-Walk's online adventures!
  65. By deciBelcat. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:27pm:
    I, too shall miss this blog, one of my online homes away from home.

See ya at Google +.
  66. By concertinist. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:41pm:
    bzy4z.jpg

So long, everyone. I will remember you, but you will not remember me.
  67. By 12-stringer. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:42pm:
  68. By Charlotte. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:44pm:
    Walk into the light, J-Walk.
  69. By Tux. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:48pm:
    Thanks your the years John. All the best.
  70. By Bryan. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:48pm:
    John - I have been reading for years - one of your silent readers. I have probably commented 6 or 7 times in the past 9 years, but I visit the site nearly every day. I doubt I will tune into google + very often so thanks for all the entertainment and especially for your quick book reviews. We have similar tastes in literature. I read quite a few of your five star book ratings and enjoyed most of them.

Peace
  71. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:49pm:
  72. By spellucci. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:52pm:
    There once was a blogger named John,
    Whose postings went on and went on
    For nine superb years.
    He brought joy and brought tears
    To his readers from hither and yon.
  73. By spellucci. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:52pm:
    This blogger, this John Walkenbach
    Loved his music but gave God a knock.
    His postings they tended
    Toward the fun and the splendid
    And the views that annoyed Mr. Wok.
  74. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:53pm:
  75. By spellucci. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:53pm:
    And while posting this wondrous brew
    He was always extending his queue
    Of stuff cool and stuff wacky,
    Spiffy, zany and tacky.
    Stuff that may or may not interest you.
  76. By spellucci. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:56pm:
    Posting nonsense and things that amaze
    He brought firms to a constant malaise
    Using keyboard and mouse and
    Did it for three thousand
    Two hundred and eighty five days.
  77. By Onecos. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @02:56pm:
    It's been fun and informative. See you on G+. Aloha.
  78. By peeper. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:00pm:
    thanks for ending this thing. I'm was as bored as you.
  79. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:01pm:
    Last?
  80. By b83. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:01pm:
    Three apples!
  81. By Jean-Yves. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:03pm:
    Cheers from France, J-Walk! And thanks for all the good posts!

2928e91.jpg

("Le dernier pour la route" means "One for the road" ; it's a French film)
  82. By Miss Cellania. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:03pm:
    Well, this site will be missed, but I'll just change my bookmark to your G+ page. With this one move, you've probably done more for Google+ than anyone else. Best of luck, John!
  83. By Chris B. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:03pm:
    Thanks for all the unusual sites and comments.
    I’ll check in to see what now things you come up with on Google+.
  84. By Doug. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:06pm:
    Prediction - I'm expecting corporate productivity and the economy to improve by year end. Thanks for all the fish.

I'm at https://plus.google.com/106351292384891440306
    I have many j-walkers circled but not all.
  85. By Drakie. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:16pm:
    Thank you, j-walk, for this great entertainment on a daily basis. I'm dragging away, slowly....
  86. By Torque. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:22pm:
    and then its always 12
  87. By Bananoriz. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:25pm:
    broccoli-bananoriz.jpg
  88. By A Mainer. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:25pm:
    Enjoyed this blog while it lasted, but all good things do come to an end. See you on G+.
  89. By TimS. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:31pm:
    It was fun.
    See you in the funny papers.
  90. By Tim Otero. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:38pm:
    Thank you for nine years of enjoyment, John.
  91. By J-W #656. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:43pm:
    My hat's flying off too!

John, your blog has been a daily visit for me also.

Thanks for the memories!

(and I know, you're not dead)
  92. By J-W #656. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:46pm:
    BTW you're probably wondering about all of us who have mostly been silent, and cheap!

Enuf said!
  93. By Jo Schmo. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:48pm:
    Long time lurker, first time poster.... sad to see you close up shop but it's been a good run. If I ever get around to figuring out that Google+ stuff (or my employer upgrades my browser to play nice) I may wander in and say hi.

Cheers!
  94. By future landfill. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:49pm:
    I don't recall now how or when I came across your site, but the appeal was instant. Someone once asked me where I get my online news. "J-walk" I said. A bit of a fib, but close enough! Thanks John, it's been a treat. See you over the border.
  95. By J-Walk. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:51pm:
    Great photo, Bananoriz.

Hey, how about some more like that, folks? Please post a picture of yourself with a sign. Booze is optional.
  96. By Wuzfuzzy. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:52pm:
    Last? Maybe :)
  97. By was south. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:52pm:
  98. By bananoriz. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:58pm:
    Do you all remember Flockdraw ?

Lets draw something together !

99. By J-W #656. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:03pm:
    Oh wow, I got goose bumps and almost cried after that link

Very cool and appropriate - TY
  100. By meg_mac. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:03pm:
    Doug... Good idea! You are in my J-walk circle.
  101. By J-W #656. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:05pm:
    sorry my comment was for #97.
  102. By Chris J.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:07pm:
    e8wsk3.jpg
  103. By kim. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:12pm:
    Thanks, John... you've lightened my load many-a-days.
  104. By Guy. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:17pm:
    Lots of good memories here, thanks!
  105. By Ruminations. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:17pm:
    Because I could not stop for Death,
    He kindly stopped for me;
    The carriage held but just ourselves
    And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
    And I had put away
    My labor, and my leisure too,
    For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove
    At recess, in the ring;
    We passed the fields of gazing grain,
    We passed the setting sun.

Or rather, he passed us;
    The dews grew quivering and chill,
    For only gossamer my gown,
    My tippet only tulle.

We paused before a house that seemed
    A swelling of the ground;
    The roof was scarcely visible,
    The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each
    Feels shorter than the day
    I first surmised the horses' heads
    Were toward eternity.
  106. By Guy. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:19pm:
    Having a glass of Ardbeg 10y in your honor - the liquor store didn't have any 9y.
  107. By Schmittenhammer. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:22pm:
    Yes yes yes, thank you John for inspiring me with your photos to do photography and all the work you put into this blog. It has been interesting and fun. Thank you everyone for your encouraging compliments on my photos. Good bye to all.
    About 45 years ago this pic was taken.
    6244517939_64a14cc9a5.jpg
  108. By rainskei. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:26pm:
    A nice group of folks who would never have met had it not been for this blog.You done good Mr. Walkenbach.
    See you all in the circle world.
  109. By Dave (TDC). Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:29pm:
    Thank you and goodnight.
  110. By Dave (TDC). Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:32pm:
    And time to say:

"John Walkenbach has left the building"
  111. By thompsongunner. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:35pm:
    By J-Walk. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @03:51pm:
    Please post a picture of yourself with a sign. Booze is optional.

Booze is never optional.
  112. By Schmittenhammer. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:36pm:
    "Good night, Mrs. Calabash." Wherever you are...........
  113. By wormpicker. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:38pm:
    Hey, comments are still on!

Last! (?)
  114. By concertinist. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:41pm:
    2eav43l.jpg
  115. By Ense. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:47pm:
    Spent all morning for my landlord to redo my blinds. Then went to the wrong courthouse to clear a misdemeanor warrant. Wanted to go to Occupy Houston today since they had to clear our of Hermann Square because there was a scheduled event. I'm going to Occupy Galveston tomorrow and then I'm going to cruise the seawall and hit the go to Jamaica beach to see how the rebuilding is going, or I might take the ferry to Bolivar.

Always loved J-Walk blog. Been reading it since Fark linked to it for the Nigerian Email Conference.

I am thinking of starting a J-Walk inspired blog of my own. Got a new computer with all these Linus web design tools. My brother likes to give me computers

I'll miss this place. I'm trying to find a new home at Cynical-C, the most J-Walky site I have found so far. Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks John.

f36w7q.jpg
  116. By Cookie. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:47pm:
    Already sent PRIVATELY: MY sentiments: comments; what EVERER!

G+ is a blessing :)

Just DEAL WITH IT - Those of us who've followed you for "A TIME" HAVE HAD IT 'really good!'

Those of us who come after? 'IT IS, WHAT IT IS!'

Will miss so many that I've had the opportunity to exchange with; and those - who's time was yet to come with J-Walk :) ..but it's not to be! Get OVER IT! Love and hugs, Cookie Bretz-Smith
  117. By rock.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:47pm:
    Thanks man!
  118. By Pamn. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:48pm:
    concertinist - Love the photo. More like that from you others, please!
  119. By Mr. Pointer Outer. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:50pm:
    thanks to all for the constantly interesting commentary. heck, even KLown .. even when he was wrong, which was most to the time, he often had thoughtfulness to be wrong in some interesting way. sorry I never got to meet any of you; y'all seem like a great bunch.
  120. By Jim R.. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:50pm:
    Live long and prosper, John. Oops, I see you've done that already! Well, keep on keeping on and thanks for the enriched existence!
  121. By Snag. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:59pm:
    This has been a massive and sustained effort on the part of our host ! Thanks again from Snag (Greg Batten on Google+)

As always, Wee Rabbie says it best .....

I did consider "the last Post" but opted to retain its air if respect (grin)
  122. By Thrash Cardiom. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @04:59pm:
    favsrb.jpg
  123. By Ense. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:01pm:
    I wonder what time comments will be turned off. Midnight Arizona time?

I won't be up that late as I got up at 6:00 because my apt manager said she was sending someone to hang new blinds because the president of her property management company was coming to take a tour. This blog is two hours behind me in time zones as Arizona seems not to do DST. Y'all hate Ben Franklin or something?

Cool video here. Always wanted to plug it in Open Mic but worried there would be an ethics violation as a relative works for this company.

I guess ethics don't matter any more.

See, I'm pretending this is just a regular open mic, like nothing's happening. How will I live?
  124. By john weeks. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:02pm:
    Loved it, Checked it twice a day religiously.
    Grew to know so many people.
    Even though I keep up with all on G+ I will miss my twice daily check-in the way an ex- smoker misses a cigarette.
    I'll miss it like a reformed alcoholic misses a really dry Bombay Sapphire martini with two whole olives and one smashed one.
    I'll miss it like a lover misses the woman he loves when she's gone across the country on a business trip.
    I'll miss it like a Father misses his kid five minutes after he leaves her asleep in her bed to go to work.
    Well, maybe those were a stretch, but we J-Walkers were always prone to Hyperbole.
    To tell you the truth, I'll miss the J-Walk blog like an 8 year reader of the J-Walk blog reader will after it's gone.
    That other stuff? Nah, that stuff was serious....The J-Walk Blog was never serious.
  125. By Omegar. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:04pm:
    I've been reading your blog for quite a long time, maybe four or five years but never once commented.

I'll miss it.
  126. By djwalden. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:07pm:
    My Shoes Keep Walkenbach To You.

Pluck on.
  127. By Sassy Chick. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:07pm:
    Thanks for the irreverence. and the memories.
  128. By anon. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:10pm:
    Prost!
  129. By Chris. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:16pm:
    Thanks John, now what do I read with that first cup of coffee?
  130. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:19pm:
    photonfr.jpg
  131. By Blayne. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:23pm:
    Goodnight.
    2wh2tg0.jpg
    Oh, and send that Boa skin back if you haven't used it yet!
  132. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:25pm:
    Good night, J-Walk.

rw2rs8.jpg
  133. By Scott in MN. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:25pm:
    So long John and everyone, it's been exhilarating!
    knifeinoutlet.jpg
  134. By meg_mac. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:43pm:
    33advk1.jpg
  135. By Gee.... Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:45pm:
    So long, and thank you for the fish!
  136. By Toad. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:48pm:
    Thanks for the good times, J-Walk. I'll see you on the other side (G+). Thanks to you and Pamn for staying in the shed when you visited us. Mrs. Toad and I had a ball, and we promise to visit, now that you have that hole dug in the backyard.
    4facesintoadville.jpg

And, thanks to all my fellow commenters. Goodbye everyone!
    toadnpamn.jpg
  137. By Tony. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:52pm:
    Now what am I supposed to do on the internet?

Oh well, funny cat videos on YouTube I suppose.
  138. By J-Walk. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @05:58pm:
    bye.jpg
  139. By bleak. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:02pm:
    Your last post looks so final. I'm in denial. No booze picture from me 'cause I quit drinking a month ago. Might have to start again. I've been reading the JWB since just about the beginning. Thank you for the great blog and over to G+!
  140. By tim otero. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:05pm:
    @wok
    email me, buddy.
  141. By bleak. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:08pm:
    Oops! I meant the zebra post, not your picture post. Now I'm happy again!
  142. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:09pm:
    Oh, damn. This can't be erased.
  143. By Andie. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:10pm:
    Great blogging, John. Thanks.
    I made some good friends here.

Google+ will keep me from actually getting a real life.
  144. By banjo brad. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:18pm:
    No sign or booze, since I gotta get going to open up the jam room, but:

bradplay.jpg

maybe this will do it? The expression might say what I think of the blog closing.
  145. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:18pm:
    I don't like Banjo's and I don't eat bacon but I still read just about every post that was made on this blog. Thanks and good riddance - more free time! :-)
  146. By ed. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:19pm:
    Toad, Curtis, wok, Dinsdale Pirana, john weeks, Bisbonian...wow, names I've read comments from on and off for years. I've had times where I'd come here everyday, and then have some long breaks. I feel like I've taken the J-Walk blog for granted. John, tonight I'll honor you by walking against a red light.
  147. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:21pm:
    mx2+tf+006.jpg
  148. By gdm IV. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:28pm:
    Thanks again, J-Walk.

Thanks to everyone for commenting here. This place has provided the majority of my socialization over the past 3 years. Seeing all of your photos on WOMs was always great. All the hilarious screen names & funny JWB humor have provided much entertainment. So many good memories! It's been great.

Cheers to all of you, and goodbye to the good old J-Walk Blog!
  149. By DonL. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:30pm:
    Great goodbye shot, John. Thanks again, and I'm off over to G+.
  150. By thompsongunner. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:31pm:
    15s7odz.jpg
  151. By Nohelp. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:33pm:
    <sniff>

I guess this isn't "goodbye" but "hello to new productivity"

Thanks for all the stuff--most of it did, actually, interest me.
  152. By mmmark. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:33pm:
    Thanks to all, and to all a good night.

28bu2hu.jpg
  153. By chazunga. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:34pm:
    Sorry I'm late -- what's up?
  154. By gdm IV. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:39pm:
    Sorry I'm late -- what's up?

Oh, we were all just praying for J-Walk's soul.
  155. By meg_mac. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:45pm:
    23w0k93.jpg
  156. By jmnorthcutt. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @06:56pm:
    I guess I have to take your blog link off of my little micky mouse web page that I more or less use for my own shortcuts. See you on G+
  157. By Doug. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:10pm:
    Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
    Wouldn't you like to get away?
    Sometimes you want to go
    Where everybody knows your nym,
    and they're always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your nym...

158. By sekirt. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:13pm:
    I may never use my TinyPic account again.
    Thanks for the chance to be there! Enjoy the new "+" era.

2194974.jpg
  159. By lobstah. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:16pm:
    Good night, Irene.
  160. By ElMoney. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:28pm:
    I wish all of you the best that life has to offer, and thank you for the many laughs had and new things learned.
    Thank you, John, for having the party at your place. I am sure that, given enough time and sanitizer, the lawn will grow back and the furniture will be as good as new. And as for your couch that is upholstered in Bermuda Grass, that will be doubly true.
  161. By Dar. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:38pm:
    What is that?
    1q3az7.jpg
  162. By Otis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:50pm:
  163. By Debra Dalgleish. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:53pm:
    Thanks for livening up the newsfeed every day. And now that the scheduled events are over, I hope you'll finish things off with a late night feast at the IHOP.
  164. By Lorence Sing. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @07:56pm:
    Dang, one less halfway-decent blog on the web.

Seriously, though, thank you for your effort. Yours was the first blog I got hooked.
    Also thanks to you I discovered PZ Myers & pharyngula, helping me to be more vocal and forward with my atheism, so you've helped my 'spiritual growth' as well as entertained and informed me.

Many thanks and see you on G+.
  165. By Dinsdale Piranha. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:02pm:
    last post

Doougie MAClean bye bye
  166. By hucktunes. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:24pm:
    Thanks for the many years of fun John.
  167. By terri. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:37pm:
    Whole Wheat Radio died last year about this time, and now this blog is hittin' the trail. My internet is much the poorer for their loss.
  168. By Joe. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:37pm:
    Thank you! I wasn't here for the beginning, but I'm glad I'm here for the end.
  169. By Phil. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:42pm:
    BYE!
    125oztk.gif
  170. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:44pm:
    Goodnight, John-Boy.
  171. By Cap'n Walker. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:46pm:
    Found this blog about '04 and have looked in almost daily since. It is one of the best parts of the day. I would post a pic if I knew how; still do not get the 'circle' thing but will sometime. I want to follow John and all of you to G+. Too many of you are favorites to post all here. If any of you can tell me in few words how the circles work, thanks. I am not usually this difficult with tech stuff.
  172. By Hanan Levin. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:57pm:
    John,
    I discovered your blog 9 years ago or so, and it is one of the 3 last blogs that I still read daily (Metafilter & Reddit are the others, but they are collective efforts). We started our communication on the wrong foot, but your blog was among those that inspired me too to start blogging and to carry it on for seven exciting years of daily prolific postings of my own. During these years we exchanged hundreds of links & re-blogs back & forth, so I've always considered your humor, interest & style very similar to mine.

I was not much of a participant in the lively comments here, so I still want to chip in today and say 'So long and thanks for all the fish'
  173. By AZJohnB. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:59pm:
    Say goodnight, John
  174. By Royal Flynn. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @08:59pm:
    Dude, going to miss ya
  175. By damich. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:12pm:
    It was a great run John! I didn't comment much but was a faithful reader. I'll be checking in on G+
  176. By chazunga. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:15pm:
    Oh, we were all just praying for J-Walk's soul.

All in all, it was a mighty fine way to pass the time.
  177. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:18pm:
  178. By Doug. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:19pm:
    Good night, thank you, and may your god go with you.
  179. By Mark J in LA. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:29pm:
    John,
    I've been reading your blog faithfully since I first discovered it in '03 and want to add my voice to the chorus of folks who have already weighed in with their kudos and thanks. You've brightened an awful lot of mornings for me and I appreciate all you've done.

All the best,
    Mark Johnston
  180. By Halford. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:42pm:
    John,

My productivity was reduced for slightly more than 3,200 days.

Thanks, Keith

2a8gcvt.jpg
  181. By Rance. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:51pm:
    I made it Curtis!

Sorry I've been such a stranger this past year. So much going on it seems I'm more married to my work than my wife anymore. But I'm still around. I'm clueless about the G+ thing. But if someone can give me some direction I'll take the time to delve into it. Thanks for the few years of good humor J-Walk. I am fortunate enough to have met you and Pam, along with Mr and Mrs Toad, and I'll never forget you Curtis!
    The wife and I may be moving to New York in the next few months. She may be attending a university on Long Island and since I'm working over here...it just makes sense. We'll keep the house in Alaska for periodic visits home.

One last picture for you guys. From last week out at the cabin.
    feb8071.jpg
  182. By gdm IV. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @09:56pm:
    Awesome Rance! Glad you made it tonight -- always enjoyed your great photos. Good luck with your move, and check out the recent couple of posts that J-Walk has done explaining how to use g+. It really is quite easy, especially if you start by simply reading his & Curtis's g+ pages.1
  183. By Curtis. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:15pm:
    Rance! email me or check the Hut.
  184. By Frogman. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:25pm:
    Last to comment wins !

And I win !!!
  185. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:28pm:
    Tap, tap, tap. Is this thing still on? Tap, tap.
  186. By Tony Hitchens. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:33pm:
    And now the end is near
    And so I face the final curtain
    My friend I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
    I traveled each and every highway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

Regrets I've had a few
    But then again too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

Yes there were times I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all
    And I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
    I've had my fill, my share of losing
    And now as tears subside
    I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
    And may I say not in a shy way
    Oh no, oh no, not me
    I did it my way
  187. By wormpicker. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:34pm:
    I think I got the last word. Good night John Boy.
  188. By Rance. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:38pm:
    I need to add that it was a pleasure to meet you too Bis.

I'll be in touch Curtis. I need to make a re-entrance to the hut for sure. I've some questions for Andie if she's still around.

I've just seen the posts on the the G+ thing. I'll poke around and see if I can't totally confuse myself until breakfast!
  189. By Doug. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:39pm:
  190. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:41pm:
    And you, Rance. Glad you could make it.
  191. By Jayden. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:46pm:
    Hasta la vista, baby!
  192. By UncleRandy. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:48pm:
    TTFN
  193. By Doug. Comment posted 14-Oct-2011 @10:55pm:
    No reprieve from the warden?
  194. By La Vista Baby. Comment posted 07-Jul-2012 @04:35pm:
    Hasta!
  195. By deciBelcat. Comment posted 02-Aug-2012 @09:24pm:
    I can't believe that commenting is still open at this late date.
  196. By Vader. Comment posted 27-Aug-2012 @03:22pm:
    Me either!
  197. By Vader. Comment posted 27-Aug-2012 @03:54pm:
    Photobucket
    Richard Dawkins is a moron!
  198. By Toad. Comment posted 31-Aug-2012 @06:25pm:
    Richard Dawkins is highly intelligent
  199. By eBilling. Comment posted 24-Sep-2012 @09:26pm:
    oh yeah! very well said!