Tuesday, 01 March, 2011
Caption Contest Results In Law Suit
Web site owners who post those stupid caption contests must be careful: Righthaven sues Las Vegas-based Citadel Broadcasting over caption contest.
Media giant Citadel Broadcasting Co. was hit with a copyright infringement lawsuit Thursday after one of its radio station websites conducted a caption contest for a Denver Post "TSA enhanced pat-down" photo.
Citadel, based in Las Vegas, was sued in U.S. District Court for Nevada by Righthaven LLC, also of Las Vegas.
Righthaven, which sues over Las Vegas Review-Journal and Denver Post material, complained in its lawsuit that 630WPRO radio talk show host Matt Allen in Providence, R.I., posted the photo without authorization on the station website.
It's unclear if Righthaven or the Denver Post have asked Citadel or 630WPRO to remove the photo from the website -- the photo at issue remained posted with the caption contest information on the 630WPRO home page Friday.
The Nov. 18 photo showing a passenger being patted down at Denver International Airport was distributed to media outlets by The Associated Press and some observers say it has become a symbol of controversial enhanced TSA screening procedures.
Normally, I'd post an image of the photo, but I'm not taking any chances.
- Reader Comments -
Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.
- By Doug. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:05am:
- By Bisbonian. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:07am:
- By meg_mac. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:17am:
- By wormpicker. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:22am:
- By Doug. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @08:29am:
- By sekirt. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @09:40am:
- By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @11:11am:
- By chazunga. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @03:14pm:
- By christopher. Comment posted 01-Mar-2011 @03:52pm: