Tuesday, 10 February, 2009

Eisenhower Got Lassoed

I didn't know this. Dwight D. Eisenhower got lassoed at his 1953 inauguration. The cowboy is Monte Montana. I don't remember it because I was only 11 months old.

What a fun time to be alive.

(via If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger)

1. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @08:35am:
    Yeah, now the Pres has to stand behind bulletproof glass, etc. No horsing around aloud.
  2. By Chris Weagel. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @08:57am:
    Didn't want Ike to float away.
  3. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @08:59am:
    And thus, the War on Lassoist began.
  4. By wally the duck. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @09:04am:
    Back then men were men, even if they wore tight sissy pants.
  5. By Desert Hiker. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @09:24am:
    Monty Montana came to my elementary school when I was a little kid. He was cool. In case people don't know, he was a t rick roper.
  6. By Big Fella. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @10:34am:
    @Desert Hiker, yeah Monte came to my elementary school with his posse, their horses and ropes some time around 1958. It was a hot day and the horses' shod hooves tore up the blacktop. I don't think Monte was invited back after that.
  7. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @11:55am:
    This scene was repeated at the first GWB inauguration, and Muhammad Ali then recited his poem "Rope-A-Dope".
  8. By mmmark. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @12:30pm:
    Wow! My father took that picture. He was a photographer for the Navy at the time.

Of course there were other photographers there, so it could be from someone else, but I've seen this photo since I was a kid, and it sure looks like the one he snapped.
  9. By J-Walk. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @12:37pm:
    Wow! My father took that picture.

Very cool. There are quite a few other shots of that scene. Here's one:
    16pomp.large1.jpg
  10. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @03:13pm:
    That's great mmmark!
  11. By Barbwire. Comment posted 10-Feb-2009 @08:23pm:
    I don't remember this, and I was 10 at the time, and very interested in politics.