Monday, 12 February, 2007

Trash Causes Accident

Here's one more reason to keep your car clean: Trash-Filled Car Crashes In West Yarmouth.

A car crash in West Yarmouth led police to the discovery of a filthy car filled to the brim with trash and rubbish. According to police, there was so much trash inside 53-year-old Ann Biglan's Ford Focus, it completely filled the inside from the floor to the ceiling front and back.

The copious amounts of trash apparently caused the crash. Biglan told police several old coffee cups and pieces of trash fell onto the gas and brake pedal, which caused her to lose control while backing out of a parking space near the West Yarmouth Post Office.

1. By Ozzy. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @08:51am:
    Just imagine what her house looks like.
  2. By sasha. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @09:25am:
    Or worse yet, what it smells like.
  3. By David. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @09:43am:
    My friend in highschool drove a similiar model. He felt it was wrong to see a piece of trash and not pick it up. Strange fellow, he was.
  4. By another larry. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @10:07am:
    I had a boss that did this, all fast food trash. Weird was even when he cleaned it out he'd save it at home, especially the cups. He didn't drink coffee but did drink lots of soda, those big plastic 32oz cups were everywhere.
  5. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @10:31am:
    Washington has a law that you must have a litter bag in your car. Several years ago, the State Patrol was having an "emphasis" in which they checked every vehicle they stopped for any reason to see if they did, indeed, have a litter bag. No bag meant a ticket for that too.

My brother got pulled over for speeding and had no bag. When the Trooper asked my brother about a litter bag, he waved his hand around at the coffee cups, hamburger wrappers, magazines, bicycle parts, etc. and asked "Does it look like I throw crap out the window". He didn't get the litter bag ticket.
  6. By arvana. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @12:58pm:
    Having traveled the world, I can say conclusively that the use of car as trashcan is something uniquely American. Yet another reason for national pride!
  7. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @01:30pm:
    People are often their own worst enemies.
  8. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @01:44pm:
    Maple Leaf,

As a FYI, the "litter bag requirement" was rescinded a few years ago. I think it was one of those "it sounds good, but it is useless" laws. The people who would litter would just dump their litter bags instead...
  9. By MAPLE LEAF. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @01:52pm:
    RobertSeattle -- thanks for the FYI. I am gonna' go for a ride and get rid of all those beer bottles that have been accumulating!
  10. By RobertSeattle. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @02:26pm:
    Maple Leaf,

Empty or full beer bottles? Throwing out perfectly full beer bottles would be alcohol abuse! :-)
  11. By Woody. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @03:16pm:
    I think she forgot to empty her litter bag.

Her car looks similar to the car of the computer geek who takes care of my system. We always have to take my car to go to lunch because his is full of useless computer parts, boxes, empty plastic Coke bottles, and all sorts of cables--and, oh yes, his mileage log that he religiously fills out every time we get in and out of the car, showing his beginning mileage, ending mileage, total miles driven, time left, time arrived, departure address, ending address, and purpose, which takes several minutes for him to do with each stop--even driving two blocks, really. Do you think that he's obsessive-compulsive?
  12. By Nina. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @03:41pm:
    For me it seems funny, but who's gonna pay for all that mess?
  13. By arvana. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @05:46pm:
    There's a follow-up to this story too, that says her house is in the same condition:

14. By major_danny. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @06:08pm:
    Great story, MAPLE LEAF !
  15. By Hoot. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @08:00pm:
  16. By Hal K. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @08:37pm:
    arvana: I knew a recent immigrant whose car was always full of trash. I think you are mistaken. It is funny how there are these differences between people. Some always bring trash out of their car as a matter of habit, while some leave it there.
  17. By ozma. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @09:27pm:
    Am I the only one who sees this as a cautionary tale?
  18. By Chris. Comment posted 12-Feb-2007 @11:52pm:
    All of a sudden, I am inspired to clean out my car. I am a slob, but I have my limits.
  19. By Greenboy. Comment posted 13-Feb-2007 @04:57am:
    Woody - small correction - this is obsessive-computive!
  20. By DJ. Comment posted 15-Feb-2007 @03:42am:
    This is a clear case of unintended acceleration. Just like the manufacturing defects in the 1980 Audi 5000.

How can we Focus owners get a class action lawsuit certified?