Friday, 25 June, 2010
At Strange Maps: Slapstick on a Map: The Three Stooges' Starvania.
Malice in the Palace (1949) is set in a fictionalised, funnified Middle East, where Moe, Shemp and Larry run the Cafe Casbah Bah. Two of their customers, Gin-A Rummy and Hassan ben Sober, are plotting to steal a giant diamond from the tomb of Rootentooten.
However, when they discover the diamond is already in the possession of the Emir of Schmow, they start yammering and are kicked out of the Cafe. The Stooges then decide to retrieve the diamond themselves, using a map left behind by the unsuccessful plotters.
MOE to SHEMP and LARRY: "Now, here, study this map closely!"
(Moe is now showing Shemp and Larry the route they are going to take to get to the castle as Moe is using a knife to lay out their travel route.)
MOE to SHEMP and LARRY: "We start here at Jerkola, down the Insane River, over the Giva Dam, through Pushover, across Shmowland, to the stronghold of Shmow."
I remember that map well. It was shown for about 60 seconds, if I recall -- way too long for a youngster's short attention span.
- By wormpicker. Comment posted 25-Jun-2010 @08:34am:
- By Bisbonian. Comment posted 25-Jun-2010 @08:57am:
- By wormpicker. Comment posted 25-Jun-2010 @09:00am:
- By J-Walk. Comment posted 25-Jun-2010 @09:02am:
- By wally the duck. Comment posted 25-Jun-2010 @04:35pm:
- By 12-stringer. Comment posted 25-Jun-2010 @06:16pm:
- By wally the duck. Comment posted 26-Jun-2010 @04:48am: