Tuesday, 18 January, 2011

Best Country (Male) Song Of All Time

Today's genre is country music, sung by a male. Nominate up to three songs for the best country song (male) in the history of the universe.

randy travis

Again, a difficult choice, but here are my choices:

Permalink | Posted in Music Lists |

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By meg_mac. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @03:51pm:
    I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.... Hank Williams
  2. By Patricio. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @03:55pm:
    "I Let A Drunk Decorate My Home", but I can't remember who the singer or band was. Nevermind.
  3. By Daniel FR, Germany. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:00pm:
    The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash

But I've Got Texas - Jon Wayne

I Fought the law - The Clash
  4. By KS. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:00pm:
    Porter Waggoner - A Satisfied Mind
    Tom T.Hall - The Ballad of Forty Dollars
    Lefty Frizzell - The Long Black Veil
  5. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:00pm:
    This is easy. "The Grand Tour" by George Jones. Nobody could disagree with this. George Jones is the greatest country performer that ever was or ever will be, world without end, amen.

Second? "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard.
  6. By Former Farmer. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:00pm:
    Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain - Willie Nelson
    Mama Tried - Merle Haggard
    El Paso - Marty Robbins
  7. By reddog. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:01pm:
    Willie the Wandering Gypsy, Waylon Jennings.

Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?, Charlie Pride.

Highway Cafe, Kinky Friedman.
  8. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:04pm:
    But for a real fun ride, you can never get enough of The Possum singing "The King is Gone".
  9. By Gee.... Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:11pm:
    George Jones, He Stopped Loving Her Today
    Statler Brothers, Countin' Flowers
    Willie Nelson, Blue Eyes Cryin'
  10. By l. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:13pm:
    Hank, Your Cheating Heart
  11. By mmmark. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:20pm:
    I Can't Stop Loving You- Ray Charles
  12. By Ike. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:22pm:
    My Baby Done Left Me-The Fugs
  13. By Randy. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:23pm:
    You Were Always On My Mind - Willie Nelson
    Crazy - Patsy Cline (written by Willie)
    I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
  14. By ibobunot. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:23pm:
    Johnny Horton - Honky Tonk Man
    Hank Williams - Move It On Over
    Hank Snow – I'm Movin' On
  15. By MayorBob. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:27pm:
    I'll go with Hank Williams and "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". For the other two I'll go with Johnny Cash and "Ring of Fire" and "I Swear" by John Michael Montgomery.
  16. By banjo brad. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:30pm:
    "Walking The Floor Over You" - Ernest Tubb
    "Take An Old Cold 'Tater (and Wait)" - Little Jimmy Dickens
    "Great Speckled Bird" - Roy Acuff

Just to add a few more for consideration.

This is a tough category, there are so many of the old singers who deserve to be considered.
  17. By MayorBob. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:33pm:
    If I may slip in just one more, I'd have to go with "You Were Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson.
  18. By cookie bretz-smith. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:37pm:
    JIM REEVES : "HE'LL HAVE TO GO"
    JIM REEVES : "I LOVE YOU BECAUSE"

GEORGE JONES / GENE PITNEY: "I'M A FOOL TO CARE"
  19. By Urban Active. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:43pm:
    Hello Walls, Johnny Tillotson

Hello Darlin, Conway Twitty

If That Ain't County, David Allen Cole
  20. By beegee. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:50pm:
    Yah, definitely 1. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. - Hank Williams

Drug Store Truck Drivin Man - The Byrds
    Joy To The World - Harry Nilson

I know the second two are actually parodies of country songs but I like em.
  21. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @04:58pm:
    Very encouraging. Nobody has mentioned Garth Brooks.
  22. By Doug. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:00pm:
    Very encouraging. Nobody has mentioned Garth Brooks.

... or Achy Breaky Heart.

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
    Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western
  23. By ElMoney. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:10pm:
    Statler Brothers - "Countin' Flowers"
    Willie Nelson - "Angel Flyin' Too Close To the Ground"
    Buck Owens - "Streets Of Bakersfield"

Patsy Cline - "Crazy"
    Lynn Anderson - "Rose Garden"
    Roseanne Cash - "Blue Moon with a Heartache"
  24. By ElMoney. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:11pm:
    (missed the male only)
  25. By Norm. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:16pm:
    Willie Nelson - Crazy - writing and singing
  26. By Ross. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:21pm:
    Amarillo by George Strait should be up there somewhere in the best of the best.
  27. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:23pm:
    Eddy Arnold - Cattle Call
    Jim Reeves - A Fool Such As I
    Tom T Hall - Old Dogs, Children, and Watermelon Wine
  28. By Curtis. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:40pm:
    I like that list, Mary. Tom T. Hall is a giant. And, El Money-great nomination with Buck Owens!

This is cooler than crap!
  29. By chazunga. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:42pm:
    Hey Good Lookin'-- Hank Williams
    I Fall To Pieces-- Patsy Cline
    I Walk The Line-- Johny Cash
  30. By meg_mac. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:44pm:
    Georgia on my Mind... Willie (sold for fity bucks)
  31. By decibelcat. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:44pm:
    George Jones - She Thinks I Still Care
    Statler Brothers - Flowers On The Wall
    Kris Kristofferson - Me & Bobbi McGhee
  32. By chazunga. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:45pm:
    OK,I'll save #2 till tomorrow. JC moves up one, and #3) Flowers On The Wall-- Statler Bros.
  33. By decibelcat. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:48pm:
    Georgia on my Mind... Willie (sold for fity bucks)

Written by Hoagie Carmichael.
  34. By -. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:54pm:
    Faded Love, by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.
  35. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @05:57pm:
    OK,I'll save #2 till tomorrow

Oh, so you're trying to second-guess my posting schedule, eh? Tomorrow might by Calypso. Won't you feel foolish nominating Patsy for best female Calypso chick?
  36. By Gary. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:01pm:
    Since great songs have already been listed for Hank, I'll go with Six More Miles...

David Allen Coe had a hit with You've Never Even Called Me By My Name but I'll take Steve Goodman....
  37. By The Bobster. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:03pm:
    Rascal Flatts - God Blessed the Broken Road
    Loudon Wainwright III - Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road
    The Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show
  38. By Dick Kusleika. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:09pm:
    Does Ft Worth Ever Cross Your Mind
  39. By chazunga. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:18pm:
    Won't you feel foolish nominating Patsy for best female Calypso chick?

No more foolish than not noticing the parenthetical male tonight. Any Garth Brooks calypso tunes out there?
  40. By meg_mac. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:26pm:
    Georgia on my Mind... Willie (sold for fity bucks)

Lyrics by Willie Nelson
  41. By Guy. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:28pm:
    The only country album that's on my list of 10 albums (to get stuck with on a desert island) is Dwight Yoakum's This Time.
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere is one of the many great tracks on this album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLprAUar11U
  42. By ScottRS. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:31pm:
    So many...

Seconding Porter Wagoner - Satisfied Mind
    Faron Young - Hello Walls
    Merle Haggard - Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
    George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today
    Ricky Van Shelton - Statue of a Fool
    Waylon Jennings - Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line (or Rose In Paradise)
  43. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:38pm:
    Gram Parsons - The Return of the Grievous Angel
    Lowell George - Willin'
    Poco - Rose of Cimarron

This is the toughest genre so far because it's my home turf. I sincerely regret not being able to include You're the Reason - John Fogerty version. Otherwise, where to begin when there are hundreds of greatest ever country songs? Number two and three are debatable but Parson's Grievous Angel is without a doubt the greatest country song ever written.

Here's You're the Reason...

Here's Grievous Angel with Gram and Emmylou.

44. By wally the duck. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:40pm:
    Very nice choices!
    A less "classic" country choice: Gentle on my Mind, written by John Hartford and sung by Glen Campbell.
  45. By fifijazz. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:42pm:
    Sixteen Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford
    On the Road Again - Willie Nelson
    I Fall to Pieces - Aaron Neville

J-W, are you by any chance going to track song titles that appear in more than one category? I think I've seen a few that either have been cited more than once, or will probably be cited again if you add new categories.
  46. By decibelcat. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:45pm:
    Lyrics by Willie Nelson

Not according to my copies of Willie's "Stardust" LP or CD. They credit S. Gorrell.
  47. By ElMoney. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:46pm:

I actually saw one of the shows on that tour. I went by myself as I couldn't get anyone to go with me. I felt odd, but as soon as Dwight started singing, well, it didn't matter anymore. :)
  48. By J-Walk. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:49pm:

I won't even be tracking titles that appear in a single category. Making any sense of these nominations is well beyond the normal call of duty for a blogger. Especially a lazy blogger like me.

The main goal here is to identify songs that people may not know about -- or have forgotten about. And, of course, the awarding of valuable prizes.
  49. By ibobunot. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @06:55pm:
    "best female Calypso chick?"

Marty Robbins - Calypso Girl
  50. By kim. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:10pm:
    He Stopped Loving Her Today- George Jones
    Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain- Willie Nelson
    Rednecks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer-?
  51. By Debra Dalgleish. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:11pm:
    Lee Marvin - Wanderin' Star
    Steve Earle - Guitar Town
    Don Williams - Till the Rivers All Run Dry
  52. By Jim R.. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:12pm:
    Do duets count?

"Seven Spanish Angels" Ray Charles and Willie Nelson
  53. By Larz. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:13pm:
    Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
    For The Good Times - Ray Price
    Good-Hearted Woman - Willie & Waylon

Honorable mentions:
    Louisiana Saturday Night - Mel McDaniel
    Johnson's Love - Dwight Yoakam
    After All This Time - Rodney Crowell
    Green, Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones
  54. By Guy. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:16pm:
    Hank Locklin - Send Me The Pillow That You Dream On:

There's even a reggae version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkbY8OQ1So
  55. By ElMoney. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:19pm:
    Green, Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones

I like Charlie Pride's version better.
  56. By norm ( the first advertiser). Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:41pm:
    I can't wait for the best barber shop.
  57. By Guy. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:45pm:
    Junior Brown - My Wife Thinks You're Dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRMNeoaosQw
  58. By meg_mac. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:53pm:
    That's The Way Love Goes... Merle Haggard
  59. By WindyCityExcelFar. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @07:55pm:
    In no particular order...
    You Never Even Called Me By My Name - David Allan Coe (Steeve Goodman)
    Lukenbach Texas - Waylon Jennings
    Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
    Watch Walk The Line with Joaquin Phoenix for a great "cover" version of this song.
  60. By Guy. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @08:24pm:
    Eddy Raven - Sometimes A Lady: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1xAgw_sT8U

Back about 1986 I was playing with a band here in Dallas, Eddy Raven shot this video using our stage setup at a club called Barney Oldfields. Our drummer was practically co-star in the video as he's right behind Eddy. The bass and keyboards are also from the band I was with. Eddy brought his own guitar player.

There's no real playing, everybody was syncing to the audio track played back through the PA.
  61. By Guy. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @08:36pm:
    My mom used to have an album called "The Pick Of The Country", it was supposedly the favorite Country songs of American Servicemen in the '50's. Hank Snow's I'm Moving On was the first song on side 1, Hank Locklin's Send Me The Pillow... was the first ong on side 2.
    Jimmy Rogers Waiting For A Train was the last song on one side, I don't remember which one:
  62. By AZJohnB. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @08:37pm:
    Beautiful Brown Eyes - Arthur Smith
    You Are My Sunshine - Jimmy Davis
    Wildwood Flower - Carter Family
  63. By Rita. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @09:09pm:
    #12 Ike
    Great to know someone else is a Fugs fan!
  64. By Dick Kusleika. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @09:21pm:
    #41 Guy - good call. I wouldn't call any of the tracks on that album "best ever", but as a whole it's one of my favorite albums. Dwight Yoakam and and Marty Stewart can really put together a good album.
  65. By Andie. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @09:25pm:
    I'm a Lawng Eye-lander who only came to know Willie Nelson when I heard the Stardust album, which is one of my all time favorite albums, and who did for a while love Garth Brooks. Sorry.

I guess I'm not qualified to vote...but I vote for the Willie choices above.
  66. By Redwood. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @09:45pm:
    Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
    Long Haired Country Boy - Charlie Daniels
    Gloom, Despair, and Agony On Me - The cast of Hee Haw
  67. By smittypap. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @10:39pm:
    Red Headed Stranger - Willie Nelson (the whole damn album)
    Red River Valley - Marty Robbins' rendition

and in case of aliens...

Indian Love Call - Slim Whitman
  68. By Annette. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @10:55pm:
    "Don't Fence Me In" - dunno who wrote it. It's an oldie

"Who Will the Next Fool Be?" - Charlie Rich

"The Race is On" - George Jones

Oh, I can't do only three!

Bonus Hank Williams tune... "Move it on Over"

Oh, and Townes Van Zant... "Pancho and Lefty"

And then there's Hoyt Axton... "Della and the Dealer"

Willie, too... So many great tunes... "Hands on the Wheel"

Guy Clark... "Rita Ballou", "L.A. Freeway"

Waylon Jennings... "Are You Sure Hank Done it this Way?"

Waylon and Willie... "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys"

John Prine... "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness", "Angel from Montgomery"

Just for fun... "Drop Kick Me Jesus" - Bobby Bare

OK, I'll stop now. ;>)
  69. By Annette. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @11:03pm:
    No, I won't...

"Take this Job and Shove It" - Johnny Paycheck

"Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" - Freddy Fender

"Cool Water" - Sons of the Pioneers

(I'd never play this game if it weren't for iTunes)
  70. By future landfill. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @11:08pm:
    Way too many choices to knock it down to three, but if you insist:
    'You Don't Know Me' by Ray Charles (written by Eddie Arnold and Cindy Walker)
    'She Thinks I Still Care' George Jones (Dickie Lee/Steve Duffy)
    'He'll Have to Go' Jim Reeves (Joe and Audrey Allison)

If we were to stretch to five you'd want to include something by Hank - probably 'Cold Cold Heart', then maybe 'She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye' by Jerry Lee Lewis (Mickey Newbury) or 'If I Needed You' by Townes Van Zandt or 'Long Black Veil' by Lefty Frizell (D. Dill/M. Wilken) or 'Time to Get a Gun' by Fred Eaglesmith or 'Sunday Morning Coming Down' by Kris Kristofferson or 'El Paso' by Marty Robbins (or maybe 'Devil Woman') or...

See what I mean? Ain't no three best.
  71. By Annette. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @11:21pm:
    See what I mean? Ain't no three best.

Oh yeah! I know exactly what you mean. :>)
  72. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @11:46pm:
    Jerry Jeff Walker gets my vote for Best Country Male. Here's another song, though.

Night Rider's Lament

73. By Gee.... Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @11:47pm:
    This really is a fun thing.
    I'm looking forward to Punk and wondering if you will split Metal into Metal, Hair Band Metal, Industrial Metal, etc.
  74. By Jean-Yves. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:06am:
  75. By Tony. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @06:04am:
    Hurt & I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash
    Cold Cold Heart - Hank Williams
  76. By Snag. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @06:18am:
    I agree with many of the above selections, but Australia has a healthy Country Music scene of its own. Here's a sampler :

(#1) Way out West .. James Reyne .. (1992 version)

(#2) Boys from the Bush .. Lee Kernaghan ..

(#3) A Bushman Can't Survive on City Lights .. John Williamson
  77. By MayorBob. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @06:51am:
    Two frivolous country songs:

1. Waitin’ In Your Welfare Line from Buck Owens and

2. Tears In My Ears by Marilyn Draper
  78. By BdgBill. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @06:55am:
    The theme to the movie "Convoy" by whomever performed it.
  79. By beegee. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @07:15am:
    Don Coyote, I was going to cite both of these:
    Gram Parsons - The Return of the Grievous Angel
    Lowell George - Willin'

Great songs I got to see Lowell and Little Feat play Willin back in the 70's. Also from that Gram Parsons record, Love Hurts, forever de-countrified by some forgotten band in the late 70s that made it a huge, obnoxious hit.
  80. By CG. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @07:34am:
    Whiskey River - Waylon and Willie
    Kaw-Liga - Hank (Senior of course)
    He Stopped Loving Her Today - George
  81. By Kiwi Dave. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @07:34am:
    Sunday Morning Coming Down, Johnny Cash or Kris Kristofferson.
    Does Ghost Riders in the Sky count as country?
  82. By Kiwi Dave. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @07:38am:
    And I should have mentioned Lucinda Williams' Still I Long For Your Kiss.
  83. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @07:47am:
    Folsom Prison Blues -- Johnny Cash
    You Were Always On My Mind -- Willie Neslon
    White Freightliner Blues -- Townes Van Zandt
  84. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @07:55am:

Much as I liked the Glen Campbell versions, the various John Hartford (banjo or fiddle) versions are really a lot better.
  85. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @08:02am:
    If you were to go by greatest impact...number of sales compared to anything that had come before, almost the creation of the genre, and longevity, it would have to be "You Ain't Talkin To Me" by Charlie Poole.
  86. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @08:04am:
    Longeveity of the song, of course...not Charlie Poole.
  87. By Gafarmer. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @08:27am:
    George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today
    Jeanie Seely - Don't Touch Me
    Patsy Cline - Two Cigarettes
  88. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @09:01am:
    Patsy Cline, while a legendary country performer, was not a male. (Nor were the two Carter Family vocalists, for that matter).
  89. By Pokey Karol. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @09:09am:
    There Stands the Glass - Webb Pierce
    If you got the Money - Lefty Frizzell
    Your Cheating Heart - Hank Williams
  90. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @09:44am:
    Worst: "To All the Girls I've Loved Before", Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson.
  91. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @09:53am:
    By JustSayin' . Comment posted 17-Jan-2011 @06:12pm:
    Actually, it's correctly spelled straitjacket. Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but that bugs me.

Photo_Twang_300RGB.jpg

Well, sometimes.
  92. By Ed Kemmick. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @10:10am:
    Has anyone mentioned Townes Van Zandt's "Poncho and Lefty"? It's one of the best, strangest songs ever, and when Willie and Merle got together to sing it -- voila! The best duet in the history of country music.

The only other contender in my mind is "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." Steve Earle was teaching a class in songwriting and put that song on the stereo. After Hank sang, "The silence of a falling star, lights up a purple sky," Steve picked up the needle and said, "That's it, the best damned line ever written."

You gonna argue with Steve Earle?
  93. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @10:19am:
    By Annette. Comment posted 18-Jan-2011 @10:55pm:

Oh, and Townes Van Zant... "Pancho and Lefty"
  94. By PVW. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @11:06am:
    George Stait: I Stopped Loving Her Today
  95. By Ed Kemmick. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @11:11am:
    I just looked up Stever Earle's quote on "I'm So Lonesome." It was in an Esquire story, and his quote is even more emphatic than I remembered:

"Best song ever written, period," Earle whispers. 'The silence of a falling star'?" -- he looks from face to face -- "that's the best line I've ever heard."
  96. By Curtis. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @11:54am:
    Okay, uncle, I say. Ed Kemmick (and Steve Earle) are right.
  97. By Curtis. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:00pm:
  98. By Redwood. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:01pm:
    It's amazing how many songs mentioned here were covered by the Grateful Dead...and lots of them for years I thought were simply Dead tunes, never knowing they were covers.
  99. By patti. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:10pm:
    Waylon & Willie - I can get off on you
    Johnny Cash/June Carter - Jackson
    Jerry Jeff - Redneck mother
    Loretta Lynn - Rated X
    Johnny Cash - Blistered
    George Jones - Gotta get drunk

And so many more. It's impossible to name just 3...
  100. By patti. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:11pm:
    oh, whoops, just noticed that this was Best Country MALE songs
  101. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:12pm:
    I'm not sure why, but I have always hated "Jackson". Somebody brought it up a couple days ago, and I cringed.
  102. By J-Walk. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @12:39pm:
    I'm not sure why, but I have always hated "Jackson".

That makes two of us. I like JC and JC, but that song just doesn't do it for me.
  103. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @01:12pm:
    "You gonna argue with Steve Earle?"

Boy, how could I forget Steve Earle? Guitar Town is in my Top 10 or 20 favorite albums. He's right about that line of Hank's from So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Wish I'd seen Little Feat way back when, beegee. And the Byrds with Gram Parsons circa Sweetheart of the Rodeo.
    I've been learning to play the Byrds' version of Blue Canadian Rockies on lap steel. And Hickory Wind.
  104. By Gary. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @01:14pm:
    One more, Lost Highway, singer-songwriter Leon Payne, made famous by Hank Williams. This cover by Jeff Buckley...
  105. By Don Coyote. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @02:10pm:
    Enjoyed that, Gary. Think I'll be tracking down some more Jeff Buckley. Got nothing of his right now. Lost Highway is also on my learn-list but more like Hank's version slowed down a few beats.

Just spent the last half hour figuring out So Lonesome I Could Cry on the mandolin. I used to be able to sing it in G. Not any more and F is not a mandolin-friendly key. These music posts have been lots of fun, J-Walk. Sure been listening to a bunch of fine songs. Thanks.
  106. By Ed Kemmick. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @02:55pm:
    I don't want to brag, but nobody here knows me anyway: I sing a very swell version of "Lost Highway," if I do say so. It's so good I'd say it is very nearly 7 percent as good as Hank's.
  107. By Rahntwo. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @08:07pm:
    Even when I was a dope smokin long haired rock addict in the 70's, the answer to this always has been and always will be- Gentle on my mind. John Hartford, What do you do with good old boys like me. Don Williams.
  108. By ironflange. Comment posted 19-Jan-2011 @08:11pm:
    King of the Road - Roger Miller
    El Paso - Marty Robbins
    Act Naturally - Ringo Starr
  109. By drHoward. Comment posted 20-Jan-2011 @12:34am:
    WELL, A FRIEND OF MINE NAMED STEVE GOODMAN WROTE THAT SONG
    AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
    I WROTE HIM BACK A LETTER AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN'T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,OR TRAINS,OR TRUCKS,OR PRISON,
    OR GETTING DRUNK
  110. By decibelcat. Comment posted 20-Jan-2011 @08:21am:
    OR HOUND DAWGS.
  111. By Curtis. Comment posted 20-Jan-2011 @12:14pm:
    OR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK NEITHER, WHAT ABOUT CHICKEN FRIED STEAK?
  112. By Sally C. Comment posted 20-Jan-2011 @07:51pm:
    Jimmy Rodgers, Waiting for a Train, or so many of his recordings. Love Hank Williams classic too.