Thursday, 29 September, 2011

Alabama’s Immigration Law

Getting tough on people who don't look like citizens: Alabama police to enforce 'strongest' immigration law.

Police in Alabama are getting ready to enforce what is considered by many as the toughest immigration law in the United States.

Beginning Thursday, authorities can question people suspected of being in the country illegally and hold them without bond, and officials can check the immigration status of students in public schools, Gov. Robert Bentley said.

Those two key aspects of Alabama's new law were upheld by a federal judge on Wednesday. The governor said parts of the law take effect immediately.

- Reader Comments -

Following are comments in response to this item.
The most recent comment is at the bottom.

1. By Patricio. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @02:06pm:
    Maybe next they'll be able to detain people suspected of being liberal and/or non-Christian.
  2. By Phil. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @02:25pm:
    It's not against the law to be a liberal and/or non-Christian (yet).
    But it is against the law to be in this Country illegally.

Before I get attacked, just know:
    - I am not against Mexicans
    - I am not against LEGAL Immigrants

I feel sorry for those who are going through the long process trying to get here legally. They are the real victims!
  3. By Phil. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @02:36pm:
    ... authorities can question people suspected of being in the country illegally and hold them without bond...

I do NOT agree with that

...and officials can check the immigration status of students in public schools, Gov. Robert Bentley said.

I DO agree with this
  4. By mmmark. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @04:12pm:
    I understand we need to enforce our immigration laws, but I wonder, is illegal immigration really hurting Alabama that much? I think too many of the residents of that state have been poor and ignorant for a very long time without the challenge from immigrants.

I recommend to all small town Alabamans who look like they might be illegal immigrants to carry an original copy of their birth certificate with them wherever they go. Look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. Do you look more like Bear Bryant or Kobe Bryant?

And any legal immigrants better keep their paperwork close at hand at all times.

Of course this includes any former Canadians, Irishmen, Brits, Norwegians, Swedish, Swiss, Danes, and Australians.

Oh yeah, and Jews. Don't forget the Jews.
  5. By wally the duck. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @04:50pm:
    It's just in the culture of Alabamans to be suspicious and to hate outsiders. I'm saying that of them as a class. They're different from other people in that way. You hear somebody talk with that Alabama accent and right away you know that about them.
  6. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @04:51pm:
    So when an officer walks into the classroom and says, "Show me your papers", that won't be at all disruptive to class, now will it?
  7. By gdm IV. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @05:13pm:
    Actually, according to the article, the law only:

requires public schools to verify students' citizenship and report overall statistics to the state

That sounds fairly reasonable to me. I'm personally for some kind of amnesty & integration, but if that's not on the table, reporting citizenship statistics obtained @ time of enrollment doesn't seem over the top, does it?
  8. By CAES. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @05:18pm:
    OPERATION: VVETBACK 2
  9. By Dee. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @06:56pm:
    **************************************************
    I wonder, is illegal immigration really hurting Alabama that much?

It costs hundreds of millions of dollars for education of children of illegal immigrants along with costs for medicaid/welfare.

Apparently the people of Alabama would answer yes.
    ****************************************************
  10. By Gordo. Comment posted 29-Sep-2011 @07:36pm:
    Sorry, I've said it before and I'll say it again..... Round them up and send them home. There should be nothing in this country for those who enter illegally. Their acceptance is a slap in the face to those who jumped the hurdles and ate the red tape to come here legally. I am in full support of legal immigration, after all it was immigrants who built this country in the first place.
    We have over 13 million illegals here. We have over 15 million unemployed Americans...Do the math! The big business moichant piggys prefer to hire illegals for their cheap labor rather than pay American workers a living wage. Makes one wonder who runs the show in America.
    Maybe I'd feel differently if Mexico, Guatemala, Columbia, or wherever paid the price of their education, welfare, and medical treatment. Maybe we should send them the bill and see if they're willing to support their fugitives.
    On second thought, no.
  11. By Snowbody. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @08:09am:
    A few questions.

Do you buy products from the big businesses (mostly agricultural and food products) who hire illegal workers? If so, why?

How many unemployed Americans would be willing to do the work done by illegal immigrants at any price?

Should we consider "Do the math" a thought-terminating cliche?
  12. By Jeff. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @09:02am:

That would be a good idea since current federal law requires legal immigrants over 18 to carry their green card at all times. Failing to do so can result in a fine and/or jail time.
  13. By wally the duck. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @11:16am:

Try not educating them. See what that costs you.
  14. By Patricio. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @11:56am:
    What I'm wondering about is how exactly is probable cause established? By looking Mexican? By having dark skin? Where I live there's people who look Mexican and speak Spanish whose ancestors moved here 400 years ago...which makes them a heck of a lot more American than your average white Alabama redneck.
  15. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @12:02pm:
    No, gdm IV, not unreasonable at all.

Keep in mind that not all of those immigrants were legal. The easy case to pick out is Texas... Texas was settled by illegal American immigrants, in what was then Mexico.

Few people know George Washington was a surveyor, and land speculator. One of his biggest (real) beefs with George III was that the King had made everything west of the crest of the Appalachians "off limits" to the colonists, and reserved it for the Natives. Washington surveyed, claimed, and sold tracts of land west of the line to the illegal immigrants of his day.
  16. By Bisbonian. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @01:10pm:
    What I'm wondering about is how exactly is probable cause established?

Generally it is not. It's one of those "quaint notions" we have forgotten about in the race to be "secure".
  17. By mmmark. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @01:44pm:

Thanks Jeff, I was not aware of that. But I don't believe that, until this law came into effect, that any "possible" immigrant could be asked at any time to prove themselves.

I really wonder how it will feel if you don't have your green card... because you are a natural born citizen... and you get asked constantly by officers with weapons on their hips to show your papers? I'm white, so maybe I'll never know. But if I were Hispanic and lived in Alabama and I were stopped and questioned for no reason other than that I looked like I might be illegal, time after time...

well I might just leave. If I could. And I think that's the point.
  18. By mmmark. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @01:47pm:

Apparently the people of Alabama would answer yes.

Dee, the article says only 4% of Alabama is Hispanic. And they're not all illegal. So I doubt it costs them hundreds of millions of dollars.
  19. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @02:42pm:
    And I think that's the point.

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head, as usual, mmmark. In the long run, the goal for each state complaining about the invasion of illegals is just to pass them off to someone else.

If I remember correctly, the big change came from Ed Meese - it was during his time that the laws changed, enabling police to stop anyone they wanted to and search their car for no reason other than they "suspected" something might be amiss. Up until that time, they had to have a warrant or a reason that would justify a warrant to stop a car. Now we have to be ready to defend our very existence at any moment that any police officer feels like throwing his weight around or having a little fun.

We get closer and closer to the police state that we used to criticize the USSR for, and we've accepted each step to get there without a squeak. We've only ourselves to blame.
  20. By Ruminations. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @04:37pm:
    Illegal aliens pay taxes. They cannot get social security numbers, but the IRS issues them tax numbers and they do pay taxes.

The taxman will not be denied.
  21. By Dee. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @08:27pm:
    *********************************************
    @mmmark
    I doubt it costs them hundreds of millions of dollars.

According to this article, you are wrong again.

..the cost in Alabama of educating children of illegal immigrants cost about $200 million a year

**********************************************
  22. By Dee. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @08:41pm:
    *********************************************
    @Ruminations
    The taxman will not be denied.

True, but most illegal aliens do not pay income taxes. Among those who do, much of the revenues collected are refunded to the illegal aliens when they file tax returns. Many are also claiming tax credits resulting in payments from the U.S. Treasury.
    *********************************************
  23. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @11:44pm:
    Let's see, Dee, Micky Hammon, the person who came to the figure of $200 million to educate the children of illegal immigrants in Alabama, is a Republican Congressional Representative who's pushing for this law, right? Have you found any other source for those numbers? I probably wouldn't have even thought twice about those figures, but if it's true that only 4% of the state's population is Hispanic and not by any means all illegal, that figure is ridiculous.

Of course, it's not the first time Hammon has pushed the edge of reality with his "facts." He said that Alabama has the second-fastest growing population of illegals in the USA, but hasn't provided any back-up for that claim, and the Pew Research Group says there hasn't been any significant change in the number of illegals in Alabama between 2007-2010. He said illegals cost Alabama $600K a year, but based those figures on Arizona!

Bunk is bunk.
  24. By Spokane Mary. Comment posted 30-Sep-2011 @11:55pm:
    Thought I'd better verify that 4% figure if I'm going to use it to call Hammon's $200 million figure ridiculous: Pew says the Hispanic population of Alabama is 3% of the total state population. http://pewhispanic.org/states/?stateid=AL

If you check each state's Hispanic population, Alabama has one of the lowest.

This guy Hammon obviously has no qualms about just making up things in order to get whatever he wants; "any means to an end" is the new Republican way.
  25. By Dee. Comment posted 01-Oct-2011 @09:53am:
    *****************************
    Spokane Mary You seem to have your mind made up and don't want to be confused with facts. But here's some more showing in 2005 the cost was at $82.5 million.

Given increases in inflation and growth in population I'm more inclined to believe the larger number even if it is on the high side of an estimate.
    *****************************